Poll: *** The official 2021 iPad Pro thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

The new M1 iPad Pro - Are you getting one?

• Total voters
Soldato
Has Photos fully updated?

As far as I can tell it has. It’s been nearly 24hrs and plugged in overnight so should all be updated.

Watching YouTube just now and it has buffered twice. Something is definitely not right. I think I will do a complete reset and start fresh see if that helps.

Soldato
I use a BT mesh system and Virgin media 500mbps connection. It is WiFi A/C not 6. Had a look and everything seems the same as my other iPad. Done a test on both and M1 gets 71mbps other iPad gets 486mbps ?

I’m really thinking it might be faulty tbh now.

Associate
Just plugged mine into a TB3 dock I had kicking around. Works great - charges the iPad perfectly, and drives are easily mounted in the stock file explorer.

IMG-20210525-105048.jpg

IMG-20210525-105000.jpg

Soldato
I use a BT mesh system and Virgin media 500mbps connection. It is WiFi A/C not 6. Had a look and everything seems the same as my other iPad. Done a test on both and M1 gets 71mbps other iPad gets 486mbps ?

I’m really thinking it might be faulty tbh now.

Strange. I’d leave it for today then try again tomorrow. It’s not doing the software update that was released yesterday is it?

Man of Honour
Yeah did that last night iOS 14.6. Will leave it plugged in today and tonight and see how it is in the morning.
Also check what happens if you disable Wifi on the existing iPad and then check the new one? Perhaps the Access Point(s) are running out of channels/radios etc.

Don
Seeing as how incredibly powerful these new iPads are, do you think we're look at a potential massive overhaul of the capabilities of iPad OS to be unveiled at WWDC in June?
As an owner of a 2018 iPad Pro 11" that still feels very fast to this day, the new M1 iPads feel like utterly amazing hardware in desperate need of amazing software.
I mean, if we had OSX on these with a touchscreen interface that only ran iPad Apps when undocked, but OSX apps when docked with a keyboard and touchpad....... man, that would be an instant buy for me.

Associate
I mean sure, that’s the current question. Don’t hold your breath though. The M1 chip being in these could be as simple as basic economies of scale - making 1 chip on mass for all lines may be cheaper than varying ones. It also could be a simple selling tactic - “How do we get people to upgrade from the already very fast 2019 / 2020 models?”

Man of Honour
The M1 chip being in these could be as simple as basic economies of scale - making 1 chip on mass for all lines may be cheaper than varying ones.
I think this is the likely answer. The iPad will get MacBook Air and lower end model Pro handoffs and the phones will continue using their own chip. I can't imagine an M chip coming to a phone.

I know a lot of photographers that use an iPad now for mass RAW editing with Lightroom etc and they'd appreciate the M1 extra performance.

Soldato
Seeing as how incredibly powerful these new iPads are, do you think we're look at a potential massive overhaul of the capabilities of iPad OS to be unveiled at WWDC in June?
As an owner of a 2018 iPad Pro 11" that still feels very fast to this day, the new M1 iPads feel like utterly amazing hardware in desperate need of amazing software.
I mean, if we had OSX on these with a touchscreen interface that only ran iPad Apps when undocked, but OSX apps when docked with a keyboard and touchpad....... man, that would be an instant buy for me.

Haven’t Apple said they are going to keep IPad OS and Mac OS separate entities ? I’m guessing the only reason the ipad got the M1 was to simplify production.

Tbh I don’t notice any difference between my M1 iPad and A12Z iPad other than the nerfed Wi-Fi speed on my M1 version. I did not really expect too as my usage would not be a struggle for any iPad Pro. Even Civ which I would think is cpu dependant runs identical. Maybe further down the line new apps will see more obvious results.

Soldato

I hope this happens as I would sell my MacBook Air if I could do certain things simply on the iPad that I use the Air for. Of course I doubt I'd be the only one to do that so Apple might not want to, potentially, reduce sales of one or the other.

Man of Honour

It needs it, but we won't get it, not this year. Most we'll get is some Pro apps available such as Logic Pro, Final Cut Pro and maybe a cut down version of XCode. But the overhaul we're all hoping on will be next year I think, when the 2 year transition to Apple silicone is complete, as at that point as they can really begin to merge macOS and iPadOS once all Macs are running on Apple silicone, rather than at the moment where some are still on Intel

Soldato
I honestly think all this talk of convergence is a pipe dream. Apple know fine well if they did that then they would never sell another MacBook Air ever again as people would just buy iPad Pro's. Unless they actually want to end the MacBook Air line then personally I just can't see it.

Man of Honour
I honestly think all this talk of convergence is a pipe dream. Apple know fine well if they did that then they would never sell another MacBook Air ever again as people would just buy iPad Pro's. Unless they actually want to end the MacBook Air line then personally I just can't see it.
Agreed, I don't see it happening.

Man of Honour

They will never straight up merge the two completely, but you'd be a fool to think that iPadOS and macOS won't eventually share a lot in terms of the way they work and the under the hood code

And besides, even if they did go as far as merge the two completely, an iPad will never replace a proper laptop/desktop for a lot of workflows. As much as XCode/Visual Studio being on iPad is top of my wishlist, it will never prevent me doing the majority of my development on desktop simply because the form factor, keyboard etc just don't lend themselves to proper coding

Back
Top Bottom