Poll: ** The official 2022 Apple TV 4K thread (it has the A15 chip, HDR10+ and everything!) **

Are you going to buy the 2022 Apple TV with USB-C charging on the remote?

• Total voters
Man of Honour
Not much, apart from the hdr10+ support, which not everyone will be bothered about seen as not all TVs support it, an Ethernet connection and more powerful processor for better energy efficiency, which helps cut costs for apple. That’s pretty much it.
Sure it’s faster, but the previous ones are fast enough, gaming aside, never used them for that.
I have a 2021 version and I will be sticking with that, I’m not throwing my money at something that I will see no benefit from.
No idea if my TV has it (LG 65CX).

Caporegime
How odd to make the remote USB C and not make the new Airpods pro. Especially as in a year or so since getting the last versions the one downstairs has never had the remote charged and the other one, once. I don’t use any storage at all.

Soldato
Anyone know if these (or Apple TVs in general) can play back lossless audio tracks via plex?
For example, can it stream Dolby TrueHD with Atmos at full bitrate the same way an nvidia shield can?

Man of Honour
Yes, up to 48 KHz depending on the player. But, if you use an AVR it may only display LPCM depending on the player used, but it will be uncompressed.

I use Infuse for all my watching, although I prefer the Plex app UI, Infuse seems to handle audio better.

I had to disable match audio or similar to get lip sync to work properly with my Sonos ARC, I'll have to double check the exact setting. EDIT, pretty sure it was Disable Match Frame Rate.

Last edited:
Associate
All the apps are miles behind. The NowTV and iplayer apps are so bad and behind current versions it puts me off the whole thing!

Last edited:
Commissario
OP
I've asked this before, how can an app be 'so far behind, it puts me off'? It works, you can search and play stuff. What more does it need to do?

I assume that outdated apps are the fault of the app writers, not Apple though?

*shrug*

Soldato
Yes, up to 48 KHz depending on the player. But, if you use an AVR it may only display LPCM depending on the player used, but it will be uncompressed.

I use Infuse for all my watching, although I prefer the Plex app UI, Infuse seems to handle audio better.

I had to disable match audio or similar to get lip sync to work properly with my Sonos ARC, I'll have to double check the exact setting. EDIT, pretty sure it was Disable Match Frame Rate.

Thanks, I do use an AVR (Marantz), think I’ll give one of these Apple TV a try then.

Commissario
OP
I subbed to Infuse for a year because in some 4k instances, the video quality is better than Plex but I hate the Infuse interface, it's rubbish! It's also a pain that it doesn't support multiple Plex users when streaming from a Plex server and I've been finding more and more content that Infuse just refuses to play. At the end of the year, I found I simply wasn't using it so didn't continue the sub.

Associate
I've asked this before, how can an app be 'so far behind, it puts me off'? It works, you can search and play stuff. What more does it need to do?

I assume that outdated apps are the fault of the app writers, not Apple though?

*shrug*
Yes you shrug and can live in that “it works, what more does it need to do” world if you so wish. Lol

But when I see the app counterparts on the Fire TV’s of this world that offer better multi user support than that on the Apple TV, look more aesthetically pleasing than the apps on the ATV and have better codec support than the Apple TV, questions rightly should be asked. Especially of a £170 device.

In fact, the only thing that keeps me using my ATV is Infuse as it offers cloud drive support.

Devs have said it’s down to limitations of the TVOS platform as to why they can’t implement the same features. I suspect it’s probably 50/50.

Commissario
OP
But when I see the app counterparts on the Fire TV’s of this world that offer better multi user support than that on the Apple TV, look more aesthetically pleasing than the apps on the ATV and have better codec support than the Apple TV, questions rightly should be asked. Especially of a £170 device.
OK, be specific. What does the iPlayer app on the FireTV do that the iPlayer app on the Apple TV doesn't do?

Regarding Plex, the Plex app can play absolutely anything, the Infuse app can't play everything, who is to blame for that? The codec support is clearly there otherwise the Plex app wouldn't be able play everything so is that the fault of the hardware or the software?

Associate
OK, be specific. What does the iPlayer app on the FireTV do that the iPlayer app on the Apple TV doesn't do?

Regarding Plex, the Plex app can play absolutely anything, the Infuse app can't play everything, who is to blame for that? The codec support is clearly there otherwise the Plex app wouldn't be able play everything so is that the fault of the hardware or the software?
Offers multi user support, plays HLG HDR content, plays 1080p as opposed to 720p upscaled. The user UI is better but that’s subjective.

Like I said, I’m not naive to think it’s purely an Apple thing but the devs at this point clearly prioritise the other platforms over the ATV and their app is bog standard just so it’s on the ATV.

If Plex offered cloud drive support like it did previously then I would move over to that. As it stands it doesn’t and therefore I have to use Infuse.

I get it, you’re as entrenched as they come in the Apple way of life. We have it all as well but I’m not afraid to call out shortcomings when I see them.

Commissario
OP
Offers multi user support, plays HLG HDR content, plays 1080p as opposed to 720p upscaled.
This is good, some actual reasons I wasn't aware of. That's perfectly fair.

The user UI is better but that’s subjective.
This is what people usually say when called out on this one so it makes a change to get some actual details.

I get it, you’re as entrenched as they come in the Apple way of life. We have it all as well but I’m not afraid to call out shortcomings when I see them.
This is exactly why I was asking for specifics, nobody has ever given them before, the only reason I've ever seen is that "the UI is outdated".

Soldato
BBC is definitely not committed to Apple TV as a platform. Even their certified Apple TV devices only lists the 2015 one whereas the certified Amazon devices have all their 2022 devices. If you watch iPlayer, don't buy the Apple TV.

How comes Apple pur a newer, more powerful chip in the Apple TV than they do in the new iPad, which costs £100’s more?

Apple's cost for the chip isn't the driver for iPad (or Apple TV's) price.

Last edited:
Associate
I’m running 3x Apple TV (2 gens old) and was looking to update but the lack of Ethernet on the base model is a deal breaker.

We really don’t need more than the base storage 64GB (tbh I don’t know why you’d need storage on a streaming device) so this seems like a money-grabbing tactic :confused:

The lack of USB-C cable is poor too. Any time you change the connectivity standard on a device you ought to provide a means to connect the device. The argument of “saving the environment… you’ve already got the cables yards yadda…” is BS when you consider previous owners may not even own a USB-C cable.

Honestly, as someone who uses my Apple TV daily I have to question the objective here. Is it a glorified app front end for Netflix/Disney+/Plex or an actual device to be taken seriously?

I’ll be considering different options because I’m not sure it will even handle 4K HDR10 over WiFi?

Back
Top Bottom