Poll: *** The Official 2024 iPad thread (the Pro has the M4 chip and everything!) ***

Which 2024 iPad are you going to buy?

• Total voters
Soldato
HDR films look better on this than my LG G3, the highlights seem far brighter. It's just a shame that the iPad can't automatically detect the HDR content and max the brightness slider and then reduce it back again for normal content, having to manually max the brightness for HDR and then back for normal viewing is annoying.

Actually hilarious reading on Macrumours and a few other forums when people are saying they don't notice much difference with the display, some even comparing to the 11" previous iPad that didn't get miniLED and still saying they can't notice much difference.

Last edited:
Soldato
HDR films look better on this than my LG G3, the highlights seem far brighter. It's just a shame that the iPad can't automatically detect the HDR content and max the brightness slider and then reduce it back again for normal content, having to manually max the brightness for HDR and then back for normal viewing is annoying.

Actually hilarious reading on Macrumours and a few other forums when people are saying they don't notice much difference with the display, some even comparing to the 11" previous iPad that didn't get miniLED and still saying they can't notice much difference.

How easy is it to watch decent content on the display though?

On my iPad M2 Pro, Netflix isn’t particularly high-res, neither is Apple TV. Neither of them download or stream content that makes full use of the display. The only exception I can find is YouTube where you specifically set the quality to 4K HDR.

It’s actually pathetic Apple TV doesn’t support high res content on the iPad.

Soldato
That's down to the app developer surely?

Yeah of course but it blows my mind Apple don’t allow users to watch 4K content on Apple TV iPad app. In fact, I’m not even sure the content is HDR either.

If you download content for a flight the quality is standard HD, nothing special. Completely pointless having such a capable screen (on both M2 and M4 versions) if they only allow you to watch low quality content.

Soldato
Purchased 4K Dolby Vison films look excellent on the new iPads using the Apple TV App.

You’re right that they should allow you to download that for offline viewing though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Purchased 4K Dolby Vison films look excellent on the new iPads using the Apple TV App.

You’re right that they should allow you to download that for offline viewing though.

Of course, if you purchase expensive films you get the full on 4K HDR experience but if you just subscribe to Apple TV to watch series you get HD SDR that wouldn’t have even moved the needle visually over a decade ago.

Tim Cook has to go!

And take his 6 different iPad models currently on sale with him. Poor Steve must be turning in his grave.

Last edited:
Soldato
Of course, if you purchase expensive films you get the full on 4K HDR experience but if you just subscribe to Apple TV to watch series you get HD SDR that wouldn’t have even moved the needle visually over a decade ago.

Tim Cook has to go!

And take his 6 different iPad models currently on sale with him. Poor Steve must be turning in his grave.
Apple TV+ definitely has 4K HDR content on it.

Soldato
Benchmarks for the 9 core M4 Pro are out now:

Not a huge difference vs the 10 core model that got 3767 in Single Core and 14677 in Multi Core.

Those are phenomenal scores for a fanless ultra low power tablet chip. Even most of intel/AMDs current desktop CPUs struggle to match that.

Should make for some really impressive numbers when we see the m4 and m4 pro/max chips in MacBooks assuming performance scales up as expected.

Though I’m aware geekbench isn’t the be all and end all when it comes to real world performance.

Last edited:
Soldato
Apple TV+ definitely has 4K HDR content on it.

Not disputing the box you plug into your TV does, my point is with the iPad app I have never watched anything on it that looks good or makes full use of the display.

Not sure I get the logic here, if there wasn’t a market for high end iPads, they wouldn’t be selling them.

This view is not uncommon. The product line up is a complete mess. The 'Air' is heavier and wider than the 'Pro' which makes no sense whatsoever, there are 4 different pencils. Steve was all about simplicity and wouldn't have stood for this.

As for 'selling them' they're not doing a great job. Their sales growth rates in the iPad division have been falling for the last few quarters. In the latest quarter revenues from iPads were the lowest since 2020. Not only do they have a convoluted product line up, they have a mish mash of incompatible accessories and they've alienated customers like me who would have been more than happy to hand over my hard earned cash for the M4 iPad but out of principle I am NOT spending yet another £500 on accessories that will likely be made redundant again by the next iPad release.

This is why Cook has to go.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not disputing the box you plug into your TV doesn't, my point is the with the iPad app I have never watched anything on it that looks good or makes full use of the display.
You are making such the brightness is maxed on the iPad when viewing HDR content? If not then it won’t be displaying properly.

TV’s do this for you automatically when displaying HDR content iOS devices don’t.

Soldato
You are making such the brightness is maxed on the iPad when viewing HDR content? If not then it won’t be displaying properly.

TV’s do this for you automatically when displaying HDR content iOS devices don’t.

Yes tried that.

Take, Masters Of The Air, it says in the app "4K, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos' yet when I watch it on the iPad it's clearly not 4K and definitely isn't HDR. If I then load up a 4K HDR sample on Youtube I am completely and utterly blown away by the display.

Likewise if I watch my own HDR footage shot on iPhone, it is incredible.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom