• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5600X \5800X owners thread***

Had my 5800x locked at 4.6ghz and 1.25v as that seemed like a safe bet looking at others. Very cool and quiet compared to stock.

I've now got it 4.8ghz all core at 1.25v. was going to go for lower voltage with 4.6 but this seems like a good middle ground.

Temps in cp2077 as it's my most demanding game was around 63-64c after 3 hours, using Kraken x52 with low pump and fan speed (50%), only ramps up after 68c which it only hits in cinebench, cpuz bench and other CPU benches.

Had my 5800x locked at 4.6ghz and 1.25v as that seemed like a safe bet looking at others. Very cool and quiet compared to stock.

I've now got it 4.8ghz all core at 1.25v. was going to go for lower voltage with 4.6 but this seems like a good middle ground.

Temps in cp2077 as it's my most demanding game was around 63-64c after 3 hours, using Kraken x52 with low pump and fan speed (50%), only ramps up after 68c which it only hits in cinebench, cpuz bench and other CPU benches.
Damn, nice!
What sort of results and temps does 4.8Ghz all core produce in R20, R23, CPUZ.

I'm using Curve optimizer now with lowered PPT/TDC/EDC but may look into an all core OC again. I seem to remembed having 4.75Ghz stable at 1.26v but maybe dropping PPT/TDC/EDC would have also helped somewhat

So I've managed to get my hands on a 5600x and now looking for a motherboard to go along with it. I noticed OC have some b grade Aorus B450 Elite in stock and wondered if this would be a good purchase for £62? I'm kinda limited by my budget of under £100.

So I've managed to get my hands on a 5600x and now looking for a motherboard to go along with it. I noticed OC have some b grade Aorus B450 Elite in stock and wondered if this would be a good purchase for £62? I'm kinda limited by my budget of under £100.
The X470 gaming plus max can be had for £70 in the uk.

Edit, this board doesn't have bios flashback which you would need to get it running with a ryzen 5000 CPU so maybe better to go with either

MSI B450 Gaming Plus / max

MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC / max

MSI B450 Tomahawk / max

MSI B450-A Pro / max

MSI B450M Bazooka / max

MSI B450M Gaming Plus / max

MSI B450M Mortar / max

As these all have flashback.

Last edited:
Have been tinkering with my new 5600x in my MSI B550 Mortar with both static overclocks and using the curve optimizer.

I was managed to get a 4850MHz static over lock stable in CB20 & CB23 and in games I play.

Though the game changer being the curve optimized, with the PBO limits raised slightly and and all cores set to -12 and +400MHz it will consistently boost to 4950 to 5050Mhz.

Really impressed so far, did a few gaming benchmarks and there is quite an uplift going from a 3600 even at 1440p
Interested in your settings, mine always gets unstable when I shoot that high, unless I add a fair bit of voltage, which makes too much heat and downclocks.

Last edited:
Interested in your settings, mine always gets unstable when I shoot that high, unless I add a fair bit of voltage, which makes too much heat and downclocks.

So the static OC was at 1.3v with LLC on 3 which allowed a very small droop.

I'm just using the curve optimiser as I get much better single core performance and have settled on is at -14 all cores, and PBO limits at 105W 150A 150A. I'm getting R20 Mult Core I'm getting 4670 and Single Core 645

I'm running my RAM/IF @ 3600MHz/1800MHz

So the static OC was at 1.3v with LLC on 3 which allowed a very small droop.

I'm just using the curve optimiser as I get much better single core performance and have settled on is at -14 all cores, and PBO limits at 105W 150A 150A. I'm getting R20 Mult Core I'm getting 4670 and Single Core 645

I'm running my RAM/IF @ 3600MHz/1800MHz
Isnt that quite a lot of amps for 5600X? Running my 5800X on 125W / 75A / 110A. R20 6071 / 643. Max temps benching 72c on air.

Isnt that quite a lot of amps for 5600X? Running my 5800X on 125W / 75A / 110A. R20 6071 / 643. Max temps benching 72c on air.

Yeah they a just random high figures to raise the stock limit it doesnt get anywhere near them, I just use PPT limit to keep temperatures/voltages sensible

After many months of umming and ahhing ordered a 5800X last night. This will be my first AMD CPU since my trusty old 955BE :)

Wonder if anyone could point out some decent guides on overclocking this chip, seen things mentioned like PBO and curve thing but all these are a big foreign to what I am used to.

Not decided on motherboard yet but narrowed it down to the X570 ROG Strix-F (£230) or the X570 Tomahawk (£210) and will be running 4 sticks of 8GB 8pack 3200 bdie (any other suggestions at a similar price point welcome).

Yeah they a just random high figures to raise the stock limit it doesnt get anywhere near them, I just use PPT limit to keep temperatures/voltages sensible
Are right - good idea

After many months of umming and ahhing ordered a 5800X last night. This will be my first AMD CPU since my trusty old 955BE :)

Wonder if anyone could point out some decent guides on overclocking this chip, seen things mentioned like PBO and curve thing but all these are a big foreign to what I am used to.

Not decided on motherboard yet but narrowed it down to the X570 ROG Strix-F (£230) or the X570 Tomahawk (£210) and will be running 4 sticks of 8GB 8pack 3200 bdie (any other suggestions at a similar price point welcome).

It was all foreign for me too having been Intel since AMD K6 2 450 days. Once you have a few crashes under your belt, you pick it all up fast :D
I would start out by leaving it as it is and just looking at the programs needed and what sort of temperatures and settings are defaults.
Then look at what changing one at a time does instead of changing RAM timings, CPU and voltages of everything all at once

I'm sure the Strix board is good but the X570 Tomahawk has great reviews. Personally I have the X570 Unify because wanted the extra M2 slot and slightly better audio... then proceeded to buy a Soundblaster G6 external DAC :rolleyes:
RAM wise the 8pack 2 x 16GB 3600 C16 kit has been good for me. Running happily at 3800 C14
Gskill is also apparently to be great. Maybe something like Gskill TridentZ neo 3600 C14, or the Z Royal

Are right - good idea

It was all foreign for me too having been Intel since AMD K6 2 450 days. Once you have a few crashes under your belt, you pick it all up fast :D
I would start out by leaving it as it is and just looking at the programs needed and what sort of temperatures and settings are defaults.
Then look at what changing one at a time does instead of changing RAM timings, CPU and voltages of everything all at once

I'm sure the Strix board is good but the X570 Tomahawk has great reviews. Personally I have the X570 Unify because wanted the extra M2 slot and slightly better audio... then proceeded to buy a Soundblaster G6 external DAC :rolleyes:
RAM wise the 8pack 2 x 16GB 3600 C16 kit has been good for me. Running happily at 3800 C14
Gskill is also apparently to be great. Maybe something like Gskill TridentZ neo 3600 C14, or the Z Royal
Cheers :) Already have the RAM and is running on my current setup 3800@C14 but dont know how well that will copy across.

Cheers :) Already have the RAM and is running on my current setup 3800@C14 but dont know how well that will copy across.
Are, great. It could be board dependant. With mine I had to change SoC, vddp, ccd and iod voltages and enable soc llc (load line calibration) to a more aggressive setting for the RAM.
I would personally sort your RAM first and leave the CPU until last

My BIOS example and Zentimings, which reflect the voltages...

SoC and other
2es0fSY.jpg

LLC
ixBk5N7.jpg

Zentimings
AVMgToM.png

Motherboard I would go with the Tomahawk. If not for the amount of people using it with success. If there are issues, it's easier to find answers :)

edit - Also, don't drop the CPU the pins are on the CPU rather than motherboard. I almost dropped mine which wouldnt have been good!

Last edited:
The 5800X won't be much of an upgrade for gaming while the 5900X would be a better choice for productivity.
I just fancied a change, is that alright with you? :p Would've got a 5900X but stock is non-existent plus having to use up my accrued holidays so want something to tinker with for the next few weeks.

I just fancied a change, is that alright with you? :p Would've got a 5900X but stock is non-existent plus having to use up my accrued holidays so want something to tinker with for the next few weeks.
Fine by me its your money after all. I went from a R5 3600 which is a bit weaker than the 8700k to a 5800X and was a little underwhelmed by the gaming performance increase atleast at 1440p but its still a good chip nevertheless with plenty to tinker with the new curve optimizer.

Where is the new curve optimiser everyone is mentioning? I feel like I'm missing out on a good tinker with my 5800x.

MOBO is a Gigabyte x570 Auros Elite running the latest BIOS and 32GB 3600 RAM.

I'm happy with where it's at now 4.6 @1.22v but always happy to fiddle and get a performance gain or even lower vcore and temps would be fine.

Back
Top Bottom