• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5600X \5800X owners thread***

I've just picked up a 5800x. Having had a read through this thread I can see that there's a fair bit of tweaking available for best performance. Is there a decent guide written yet on best configuration of RAM, PBO, BIOS version etc.? Something with all the information in one place?

Has anyone noticed that dropping EDC,TDC,PPT and playing with LLC drops L3 cache performance? I noticed that my clocks were high 5050mhz single and 4750mhz multi but L3 scores in Aida64 were tanked for R/W/C. As soon as I raised EDC noticed they went up. Ex:

R20 Multi Core

EDC 110A 4725-4750mhz- score 6150-6200pts Aida-R-175GBs/W-310GBs/C-180GBs
EDC 135A 4625-4650mhz- score 6225-6320pts Aida-R-210GBs/W-335GBs/C-354GBs

Has anyone noticed that dropping EDC,TDC,PPT and playing with LLC drops L3 cache performance? I noticed that my clocks were high 5050mhz single and 4750mhz multi but L3 scores in Aida64 were tanked for R/W/C. As soon as I raised EDC noticed they went up. Ex:

R20 Multi Core

EDC 110A 4725-4750mhz- score 6150-6200pts Aida-R-175GBs/W-310GBs/C-180GBs
EDC 135A 4625-4650mhz- score 6225-6320pts Aida-R-210GBs/W-335GBs/C-354GBs

Yeah, its clock stretching. with a lower EDC the CPU isn't getting enough AMP's so it errors out, always verify your clocks. :)

Yeah, its clock stretching. with a lower EDC the CPU isn't getting enough AMP's so it errors out, always verify your clocks. :)
Ya, I've read of clock stretching. Those clocks were from HWinfo as the effective clocks. Was also just surprised to see the L3 dropping. guess that's a sigh of clock stretching?

Ya, I've read of clock stretching. Those clocks were from HWinfo as the effective clocks. Was also just surprised to see the L3 dropping. guess that's a sigh of clock stretching?
What happens if you leave the CPU at stock but set either the 95 or 65w Eco modes as those reduce PPT TDC EDC.?

Hitting PPT/EDC limits should be dropping clocks before resorting to clock stretching.

Another observation. Memory intensive workloads like TestMem and DRAM calculator benchmark tend to max out EDC while staying way below PPT. Resulting in nice all-core 100% load clocks of over 4.9GHz.
PPT part makes sense, there is not much for CPU to do except load/store to memory. Only L3 cache is probably getting hammered.

Edit:
umm, why is my L3 so much faster than yours?
IMG]

@Mr. Sunshine I found similar. 110 EDC limited my L3 cache read to ~230 GB/s even thought HWInfo64 was not showing full usage of EDC.
Upped it to 135A and now back to what is expected

110A
breGGc1.png

135A
08WJN7N.png

With my board set to 65w eco mode which limits EDC to 90A I still see 350+ on L3 so maybe its a board/bios issue or another setting effecting it.

Screenshot-77.png

Edit: stock is showing slightly higher on 400+ on L3 so maybe it does somehow effect it.

cachemem.png

Last edited:
Hitting PPT/EDC limits should be dropping clocks before resorting to clock stretching.

Another observation. Memory intensive workloads like TestMem and DRAM calculator benchmark tend to max out EDC while staying way below PPT. Resulting in nice all-core 100% load clocks of over 4.9GHz.
PPT part makes sense, there is not much for CPU to do except load/store to memory. Only L3 cache is probably getting hammered.

Edit:
umm, why is my L3 so much faster than yours?
IMG]

If I set PBO limits back to auto I get 260 GB/s L3 Cache read. Weird.
I do remember reading something about bugs in AIDA64 or the AGESA BIOS versions that cause AIDA to throw out some incorrect numbers. I can see you are on AGESA 1.1.0.0 and im on 1.2.0.0.
I would hazard a guess yours are being incorrectly reported too high and 350 GB/s is about right for 5800X. Either that or mine are reporting too low and something motherboard or BIOS related

Anyone else have any clues?

With my board set to 65w eco mode which limits EDC to 90A I still see 350+ on L3 so maybe its a board/bios issue or another setting effecting it.

Screenshot-77.png

Edit: stock is showing slightly higher on 400+ on L3 so maybe it does somehow effect it.

cachemem.png

Thanks too. Yes, I expect a board/bios issue. Are there any similar programs to AIDA that test L3 cache speed? That would rule out AIDA at least

Thanks too. Yes, I expect a board/bios issue. Are there any similar programs to AIDA that test L3 cache speed? That would rule out AIDA at least
Remember reading somewhere that lower L3 speeds are indication of memory instability. Mind running AIDA with full stock, load optimized defaults?

Back
Top Bottom