• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5600X \5800X owners thread***

Wow, temps are insane with the 5800x... reminds me of the good old Athlon days. :D

All core 4500mhz with peak 1.325 gets to 93c in Cinebench R23 muticore benchmark. :eek:

Pretty sure the heatsink is on well enough, given the reasonable idle temps. :o

Scored: 1471 / 15149

EDIT - I have now set peak to 1.25v with a 4550mhz ceiling and temps are much better now... 40c idle and 80c load and Cinebench stable. Doesn't seem like I am sacrificing much performance.

Last edited:
Wow, temps are insane with the 5800x... reminds me of the good old Athlon days. :D

All core 4500mhz with peak 1.325 gets to 93c in Cinebench R23 muticore benchmark. :eek:

Pretty sure the heatsink is on well enough, given the reasonable idle temps. :o

Scored: 1471 / 15149

EDIT - I have now set peak to 1.25v with a 4550mhz ceiling and temps are much better now... 40c idle and 80c load and Cinebench stable. Doesn't seem like I am sacrificing much performance.

5800x can be hot.

93c in Cinebench
this does not look quite right. And single core performance is not quite there either. Stock 5800X should be hitting 1580/15200

5800X is hot, but not in same way as Intel top CPUs are. It doesn't put out insane amounts of power, but the power it outputs is very concentrated.
So any improvement in thermal transfer between heatspreader and cooler should help.

this does not look quite right. And single core performance is not quite there either. Stock 5800X should be hitting 1580/15200

5800X is hot, but not in same way as Intel top CPUs are. It doesn't put out insane amounts of power, but the power it outputs is very concentrated.
So any improvement in thermal transfer between heatspreader and cooler should help.
I have seen TONS of 5800x owners with these temps on good air cooling, it's not unusual and of course depends on many factors such as your case and cooling and GPU contributing to the heat.

Really enjoying my 5800X. Not bothered to tweak or tune anything yet, as it is truly embarrassing my old chip (2700X) straight from the box.
Got my RAM running faster than I ever managed before, temperatures good all round.

It's the last chip this motherboard will be seeing, so I don't even feel bad that I've effectively welded it to a copper waterblock with Conductonaut. (Getting the 2700X out was a laugh...).

Couldn't really afford it, but now I've done it, I'm glad I did! :D

I have seen TONS of 5800x owners with these temps on good air cooling, it's not unusual and of course depends on many factors such as your case and cooling and GPU contributing to the heat.
I wouldn't worry mate, it's a REALLY hot chip.

Myself and other PC users who have custom water cooling still see the chip reach 70c in Cinebench and 50-60c in gaming. It's a hot boy!

The 5800X runs hot. Nothing you can really do about it other than use adequote cooling or dig in to the bios and tweak.
I had the same concerns myself as Ive never had a CPU before that was this hot including the 5600X which i changed for the 5800X.

The 5800X runs hot. Nothing you can really do about it other than use adequote cooling or dig in to the bios and tweak.
I had the same concerns myself as Ive never had a CPU before that was this hot including the 5600X which i changed for the 5800X.
Indeed chap. I was googling today for good guides and saw many sets of tweaks for boosting with lower power. Do you have some favourites?

I've settled on 127PPT 85TDC 125EDC and curve -15 all core which gives slightly better performance over stock while keeping temps under 74C in cinebench with a wraith prism.

Once you remember that temperature is just a number and not a measure of the heat generated / power consumed it's easier to live with the 5800x. The cooling - your heatsink - needs to cater for the TDP not that temp number. There's more multicore perf than anyone really needs so switching on Eco mode is a quick and easy way to cap the power losing no single core and under 10% multicore perf.

For the moment I seem to have found a nice and stable all-core overclock of 4250mhz at 1.25 which gives me decent temps and consistent performance. Will see if I can back it down to 1.25v. I definitely don't have any kind of golden sample, heh. I have kept my 5900x order and will swap it in when it eventually arrives and sell the 5800x for hopefully around what I paid for it. :)

Once you remember that temperature is just a number and not a measure of the heat generated / power consumed it's easier to live with the 5800x. The cooling - your heatsink - needs to cater for the TDP not that temp number. There's more multicore perf than anyone really needs so switching on Eco mode is a quick and easy way to cap the power losing no single core and under 10% multicore perf.
Well I guess temperature isn't just a number if it is causing throttling or other thermal-based limits to kick in. Is Eco mode something that needs setting in the BIOS as opposed to Ryzen Master? :)

Last edited:
Even though I thought I could wait until a 5900x or 5950x was available I’ve bought a 5800x. Have also bought an Arctic Liquid Freezer ii 360 to replace NH D14 cooler.
I’m close to sending it back as only now starting to read all the high temp issues. I understood these Ryzens overclocked themselves automatically partly based on how good your temps/cooling was? I guess I can install Ryzen master and enable ECO mode, or spend hours fiddling with undervolts & stuff but didn’t have to do that rubbish with my 3900x

Even though I thought I could wait until a 5900x or 5950x was available I’ve bought a 5800x. Have also bought an Arctic Liquid Freezer ii 360 to replace NH D14 cooler.
I’m close to sending it back as only now starting to read all the high temp issues. I understood these Ryzens overclocked themselves automatically partly based on how good your temps/cooling was? I guess I can install Ryzen master and enable ECO mode, or spend hours fiddling with undervolts & stuff but didn’t have to do that rubbish with my 3900x
If you have a Freezer II 360 then temps aren't going to be a 'problem' and you can probably stay under 80c and get good speeds. It's just an inherently hot CPU.

I would have got the Arctic Freezer II 280mm as it performs much the same as the 360mm and has quieter 140mm fans. :)

I have a 5600x on MSI tomahawk X570 with stock cooler.

I'm currently waiting on my watercooling bits and pieces to arrive but whats the best way to keep temps lower as stock fan is annoying as hell in an open case. It's my first time on AMD so it's all new to me. Any good guide ?

I have a 5600x on MSI tomahawk X570 with stock cooler.

I'm currently waiting on my watercooling bits and pieces to arrive but whats the best way to keep temps lower as stock fan is annoying as hell in an open case. It's my first time on AMD so it's all new to me. Any good guide ?
Use the custom fan control in Dragon Center.

Back
Top Bottom