• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5600X \5800X owners thread***

Soldato
Yep. Now to just hope everything comes working perfectly :)

Between the Phanteks case, the Bequiet cpu cooler and case fans, the SSD, and a GT1030, it should pack a lot more punch than he is used to :)

Yeah that will last a good while for him!!
A lot of people would be happy with that, I certainly would be.

Soldato
Did a bit of research, and going to try and get the Bequiet cooler upgraded (Pure Slim seems to basically be a quieter stock cooler equivalent) and some faster RAM but other than that very happy with what I ordered; it should cover all his general purpose well, he can throw in a storage drive from his old PC, and then he will be sorted :)

Update: Sorted!

This is what he is getting:
Phanteks P300
5600X /w Dark Rock 4 Cooler
Tomahawk B550
16GB HyperX Fury DDR4 3600 C17 (Micron-based so will hopefully overclock to C16 or 3800-4000 C18)
Zotac 1050ti 4GB
WD SN550 NVME 500GB (faster SSD would be wasted, but I'll put it in the slower NVME slot so he COULD get a faster/larger NVME later)
BeQuiet Pure Wings 2 (Top Exhaust Fan, will match the cooler)
2x NXT AER P 140mm Static Pressure Fans (front SP fans, due to the restricted intakes)
Antec Earthwatts Gold 550W 80+Gold PSU
Should be a wonderful system for day to day and hopefully on the quieter side!

He's not REALLY a gamer, so the 1030 will cover all his desktop/video decoding/light game dabbling and other graphically accelerated shenanigans, and the CPU with the decent cooler should PBO clock nicely and at relatively reasonable noise levels!

Updated - swapped the PSU to a slightly lower power model with higher efficiencies, Seasonic as OEM and much longer warranty. Was only £10 more so worth it.
Update 2 - managed to snag a reasonable value 1050ti.

Last edited:
Soldato
For what it's worth cost £850.
In the older days I would've put something like a second hand 1050 in it or a 960 or the likes, something modern but efficient, but with prices as they currently are, a 1030 for video processing seemed the most sensible, and also warranty as it's for an 'old boy' :)

Last edited:
Soldato
That looks like a great setup for him, Should see him through a number of years and always the possibility of chucking in a different CPU and GPU to extend it further if needed.

Soldato
Definitely; the system is only rated as using around 300W so even with the new slightly lower wattage PSU (it has a much longer warranty, and is built by Seasonic as OEM, so worth it), he has ~250W of overhead for faster GPU and for power supply ageing.

For both of our piece of minds 7 year PSU warranty vs 3 year was definitely worth it, and the 700W unit whilst a great price was a 2014 design vs a 2018/9 one, so much more modern design which nearly always helps with efficiency etc. :)

Soldato
Definately; the system is only rated as using around 300W so even with the new slightly lower wattage PSU (it has a much longer warranty, and is built by Seasonic as OEM, so worth it), he has ~250W of overhead for faster GPU and for power supply ageing.

For both of our piece of minds 7 year PSU warranty vs 3 year was definitely worth it :)

Yeah, I generally try to over spec my PSU to give head room for upgrades in the future. Especially with longer warranty periods.
I would be happy with that system. It will feel pretty fast for what he requires thats for sure.

Soldato
Yeah, he basically does a few things where single core performance/IPC is king, so even though the i7-2700K was OCd to the hilt, this should kick it to touch quickly, whilst being more efficient and hopefully quieter and more pleasant to live with (and the chunky cooler should help PBO do its thing also). Might check Curve Optimiser also, but as its not my machine I may well leave that.

The GT1030 should handle a lot more current formats in hardware than the 650 he has in his old rig also.

Last edited:
Associate
Good morning from Greece I need a little help I have a 5600 x + Asus x570 strix-f gaming, with the bios 3001 version I can reach 5.05ghz PBO + Curve in the last 3 bios 3202,3405 and 3602 PBO + Curve does not allow me to go over 4850 do we know anything?

Soldato
Good morning from Greece I need a little help I have a 5600 x + Asus x570 strix-f gaming, with the bios 3001 version I can reach 5.05ghz PBO + Curve in the last 3 bios 3202,3405 and 3602 PBO + Curve does not allow me to go over 4850 do we know anything?
The older bios agesa was bugged and let you add more than just 200mhz boost override, it was fixed by AMD and is now limited to +200 max.

Normally you could just roll back to the previous bios if you wanted to keep the higher boost but not sure if you can do that with ASUS.

Associate
For me only a couple of cores hit 5Ghz, with PBO2 (All core, Neg -17, +200MHz)
I see 5GHz on more cores with a more negative undervolt, but it becomes unstable.
I should look into per core...

Last edited:
Associate
The older bios agesa was bugged and let you add more than just 200mhz boost override, it was fixed by AMD and is now limited to +200 max.

Normally you could just roll back to the previous bios if you wanted to keep the higher boost but not sure if you can do that with ASUS.

Thank you for the answer and yes you can go to older bios at least in my motherboard, I may have lost 5ghz but now with the new bios all cores reach 4.850ghz :)

Soldato
https://imgur.com/En09w6O

My timings aren't especially tight, this was also taken with Auto PBO2 (not undervolted).

16-16-16-38-55
1800 1:1
Thank you very much. That is perfect.

I just wanted to check whether my scores were anomalous but they are coming out similar to yours.

50999590182_2a569ae4d3_o.png

I find that write speed much lower than expected and not exhibited by my 3900X or 3950X.

Associate

Yeah I noticed the same when updating on my B550 Mortar, I used to get stable boost to 5050MHZ but now its just +200MHz (4850MHz) was tempted to roll back until I remembered I would have to redo my RAM timings and fan curves as you cant reuse the profiles between bios versions

Associate
I'm on 1.2.0.0 even though it lets me go +400MHz or +500MHz in the BIOS it no longer translate through when I check the clockspeeds or if I go Ryzen Master its just +200MHz.

Slightly annoying they have done this as its overclocking and surely outside the warranty whether its +200MHz or +500MHz and its not like you Ryzen Master stops you putting in silly multipliers or voltages, mine seemed rock solid at 5050Mhz also with a -14 curve

Back
Top Bottom