Poll: *** The official AirTag thread (it comes in packs of four and everything!) ***

Are you going to buy AirTags?

• Yes, I'll get one

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Yes, I'll get a pack of four

Votes: 31 36.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 34.9%

• Total voters
Commissario
OP
We actually needed to use one of these today for the first time. My wife couldn’t find her car keys, she went out to see if she’d left them in the car and came back in a panic.

Opened her Find app and went to items, tapped on the keys to find them and it took us straight to them. She’d used a different bag yesterday and it was hanging on the handle in the back room with the keys in it.

Soldato
I needed to use one back in August. The air conditioning in my hotel room packed up so I asked at reception about moving rooms. The hotel was full at the time but they told me that once someone had checked out and the room had been cleaned they'd move my stuff if I left it all packed up. I did that.

When I got to the hotel that evening I was given a new room card but my suitcase wasn't there. Hotel staff had no idea where they'd put it so I used the Find My app to lead them to the room (one floor above the one they'd given me a card for) was.

Associate
I've tried removing the bitterant coating with alcohol wipes but after a while they either stop working or end up being intermittent in devices that hate the coating, in the end I just ended up by some no name crap and never had a problem since with replacements as they most likely never had that stupid coating and battery life seems fine.

Poundstretcher sells Hyundai 2032 batteries (blue and white pack) that I have also used and they seem to work fine in everything I've tried like AirTags, my car key and Hue devices as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Replacing batteries in these is hit and miss.. does anyone have any brand of battery they recommend? I’ve not tried Duracell batteries yet, only the cheap ones really and some from Panasonic and Energizer but am finding what ever I use, they just do not last like the original.

Any useful pointers ?

Ikea branded works are doing the job for me, they last much longer then the Energiser and Panasonic batteries that I've tried.

Soldato
Ikea branded works are doing the job for me, they last much longer then the Energiser and Panasonic batteries that I've tried.
Not going to lie, that is a brand of battery that I never once thought about using.. Got a trip planned for Ikea for a kids wardrobe in the coming weeks too so will have to pick some up. Appreciate the recommendation.

Soldato
Not going to lie, that is a brand of battery that I never once thought about using.. Got a trip planned for Ikea for a kids wardrobe in the coming weeks too so will have to pick some up. Appreciate the recommendation.

It wasn't a brand I'd considered but I was in Ikea (clearly I was very bad in a former life) and slowly losing the will to live so thought they'd be worth a punt.

Soldato
It wasn't a brand I'd considered but I was in Ikea (clearly I was very bad in a former life) and slowly losing the will to live so thought they'd be worth a punt.
I have attended the dark soul-less hell hole with my missus going on 30 times in the last 4 years. Its a punishment like no other and one she is all too happy to force upon me. You'd think that pushing kids on you was punishment enough, clearly it is not.

Soldato
Has anyone here use their air tag and put in their suitcase when flying to track it if needed.

I don't think it work as would need a nearby Apple device to get it to show on find my app is that correct?

If so what alternative is there

Commissario
OP
Has anyone here use their air tag and put in their suitcase when flying to track it if needed.

I don't think it work as would need a nearby Apple device to get it to show on find my app is that correct?

Actually they work really well in luggage. It's not what they're marketed as but they're useful for luggage.

Soldato
Actually they work really well in luggage. It's not what they're marketed as but they're useful for luggage.

You move the post :D

Yes.

It does need an apple device near by to connect to it. It still works well for traveling.

No, not really unless you want an all singing and dancing thing that can connect to satellites itself.

They’re on offer on amazon at the moment so nows the time to buy, pack of 4 for £80.

Soldato
You move the post :D

Yes.

It does need an apple device near by to connect to it. It still works well for traveling.

No, not really unless you want an all singing and dancing thing that can connect to satellites itself.

They’re on offer on amazon at the moment so nows the time to buy, pack of 4 for £80.
I have seen. Different brand on Amazon that does use the Apple find my network 4 for £40

Commissario
OP
So it need someone with. Apple device near it to get it on the find my network so I can see where it is on the map?
Yes. But imagine how many Apple devices there are out there and by default, they all participate in the Find My network. Tiles (for example) rely on phones with the Tile app installed to detect them.

Back
Top Bottom