• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official Alder Lake owners thread ***

Soldato
just spoken on the phone with Corsair, the guy based in America, he has raised an RMA and now I need to provide details of the stick and photos etc.
But at least the focus is one of a resolve now. gotta agree tho, the obvious just sometimes gets missed - being too generous there with myself :D

Thanks again.

Glad to hear they are being responsive, just be wary of they get you to send one only back they you want the same version returned.

Soldato
Just started building my 12600k system on an MSI z690 Tomahawk. Got 16GB of Corsair 3600mhz. Anything I should be aware of when booting first time later on?

I just built a system on a MSI Z690 A Pro, the only things I have done in BIOS is to click the OC Genie, and the XMP buttons, two clicks!

I don't know my way around the BIOS yet, so haven't started tweaking (not sure I will) yet, and it is running superbly. Zero issues.

Soldato
Glad to hear they are being responsive, just be wary of they get you to send one only back they you want the same version returned.

good point, I would want a matching pair.! We shall see, but initially it seems promising. At least I'm now not doubting the board or the BIOS. Now to let Gigabyte know.........(oh hum).
The annoying part of Gigabyte's ticket system, web based, is that you can't amend a reply you have made, nor submit additional information on that ticket until they send a new response. So they'll have to wait.

Associate
I just built a system on a MSI Z690 A Pro, the only things I have done in BIOS is to click the OC Genie, and the XMP buttons, two clicks!

I don't know my way around the BIOS yet, so haven't started tweaking (not sure I will) yet, and it is running superbly. Zero issues.

I will have a look at OC Genie however, I'm always a little scared of auto overclocking, however, I'm guessing its matured and doesn't push silly voltage through the CPU nowadays. Will activate XMP to get ram working at the correct speeds. Will also ensure I find 4G decoding to activate resizable bar support.

Wondering if there's anything in the way of new bios as the MSI boards have that easy quick flash USB port and button on the rear i/o.

Soldato
I will have a look at OC Genie however, I'm always a little scared of auto overclocking, however, I'm guessing its matured and doesn't push silly voltage through the CPU nowadays. Will activate XMP to get ram working at the correct speeds. Will also ensure I find 4G decoding to activate resizable bar support.

Wondering if there's anything in the way of new bios as the MSI boards have that easy quick flash USB port and button on the rear i/o.

Thanks for reminding me, have just enabled rebar.

Yeh, always worth checking MSI to see if there are any new bios releases, I also check overclock,net for my specific board.

Man of Honour
OP
Looks like that DDR4000 issue is soon to be sorted then, good troubleshooting!
Mine has been super stable since those RAM/IMC voltage adjustments. It wasn't even a huge adjustment but several hours of game testing later and still not even a hiccup any more.

Unless I go DDR5, then this build will stay as is for a long time now I think and only update GPU in time if the need arises. It's been pretty fun have to say and a little frustrating thinking it was the RAM/PSU etc and buying new parts that got shipped then finding it was just voltages/BIOS settings and returning the ordered stuff :D

At least it's only taken 1-2 months to suss though. Recall I mentioned the Z190 Gaming X I had on the 6700K build took a couple years of BIOS updates to end up being rock solid but I guess my old build was 247 OCd and all throttling turned off so it was always at 4.4GHz boost so a little bit more stressed.

Soldato
@mrk. Indeed it should work out well. At least I'm not thinking that it is the board or the BIOS. A pity that I assumed that the memory was fine. Still it is what it is...
Good news for you as well, great result there.
At least you are where you are, without having bought and used those items you did to try and get stability.

@Kelt good result there. At that voltage you shouldn't have any heat issues either.
I might be tempted to try what @uksoldierboy did with his individual core overclock. I keep thinking about it, then just enjoy using it. Maybe.

Soldato
@mrk. Indeed it should work out well. At least I'm not thinking that it is the board or the BIOS. A pity that I assumed that the memory was fine. Still it is what it is...
Good news for you as well, great result there.
At least you are where you are, without having bought and used those items you did to try and get stability.

@Kelt good result there. At that voltage you shouldn't have any heat issues either.
I might be tempted to try what @uksoldierboy did with his individual core overclock. I keep thinking about it, then just enjoy using it. Maybe.

Yeh, well chuffed at the moment.

What do you get out of individual core clocking then?

Soldato
@uksoldierboy Interesting.
Did your check out Cinebench r23 for a similar change in results.? Interested in that one as it uses all cores.

I would have thought that some games that are not very multi core friendly might benefit. I play one game that mainly uses two or three cores and for that it might improve it.

Perhaps I've been less inclined to check that out as I'm more used to overclocking all cores at once.
I'm just running my 12700k at 5.1 for the P and 4Ghz for the E cores.

Surprised at how high you got two cores. Then again I haven't tried yet.

Thanks.
Yeh, well chuffed at the moment.

What do you get out of individual core clocking then?

Find it just makes more sense tbh, you have the best or both worlds then, I have 54/54/53/53/52/52 while my E Cores are @4.2.
At least this way, if a game or app is only using one core it gets a nice boost, and if its using everything I still get 5.2.

Soldato
Find it just makes more sense tbh, you have the best or both worlds then, I have 54/54/53/53/52/52 while my E Cores are @4.2.
At least this way, if a game or app is only using one core it gets a nice boost, and if its using everything I still get 5.2.

It does seem to option that has the greatest potential. One game that I play seems to evenly use all the cores, including the E's. Another that I play the most seems very much using two cores, perhaps a third a little. So doing what you have done would offer the better options. I have always been used to a single all core overclock. Even my Z390 Master and 9900k had some options for core overclocking, altho probably much improved now.

Soldato
Let us know how you go on.
My 12700k is running at 5.1 and 4Ghz, low temps and voltages. It just works. If you find improvements worth having, including any noted increase in vcore voltages, I might be tempted.

I will if I find out how to do it!

Like you, I'm happy with mine at the moment, due to the 99.8 thing you mentioned, I'm actually running (according to HWINFO) at 5.088/3.99 :p

As you say, low temps and voltages along with the low noise these offer trump everything for me these days.

It ran a 10 minute R23 loop OK, so that's good enough for me. :)

Soldato
@Kelt I am not inquisitive enough to find out, hoping that you would and come back to tell us how great it is and so much better, lol...!

The most that I see under full load of Cinebench R23 is 1.28v for the vcore. The temps are great and so is its performance.

The Mhz speeds you noted were the same for me when I had a MSI board, due to the BCLK running at 99.951Mhz and not 100Mhz, as it should.
The Gigabyte board I now have runs at a true 100Mhz and so shows 5100Mhz and 4100mhz for the cores when on full load. Probably similar to you, just something to notice but of no concern.

MSI....

MSI.png

Gigabyte...

Gigabyte.png

yup, my 420mm AIO and case fans are so very quiet. for now I'm happy enough just to leave things as they are - they work and do so very quietly.

Back
Top Bottom