Poll: *** The official Apple Watch Series 8 thread (it can detect when you crash your car and everything!) ***

Which Apple Watch Series 8 will you get?

• Total voters
Associate
Seeing some battery health comments I noticed something rather odd after the latest Watch OS update, I was at 84% battery health on Series 6 Stainless Steel but it has went up to 87%! My plan was to let it get to 80% and then ask Apple for free replacement. For some reason when I did a dummy battery service attempt at a service request it said my device is covered under consumer law and the replacement will be free of charge despite warranty having long expired.

Caporegime
Seeing some battery health comments I noticed something rather odd after the latest Watch OS update, I was at 84% battery health on Series 6 Stainless Steel but it has went up to 87%! My plan was to let it get to 80% and then ask Apple for free replacement. For some reason when I did a dummy battery service attempt at a service request it said my device is covered under consumer law and the replacement will be free of charge despite warranty having long expired.

Yes, I think I saw that in the firmware notes that they updated the battery software so it more accurately detects the health of older series watches.

Caporegime
Just interested to know how do you find that? I cant make up mind about it. It has some advantages like better Watch integration but the actual content is not as good as Peloton.
I've not used any other content from another source, so can't compare :) I run a lot but wanted to do some yoga or pilates as years of running my flexibility needs some work! So without having to join a local class or group it's been really good so far and if I want to continue after my 5 month trial (with Barclays) a tenner added to my apple plan is going to be a lot cheaper than a club or gym membership and updating to the top plan means I can also cancel my Readly membership so it's almost free ;)

Anyway I'm slowly getting this watch to work as I would like, one bug bear I haven't ironed out yet. When I'm using my iPhone in car play or listening to a podcast and I look at my watch I have the controls for say the podcast or music displayed on my watch. How do I stop it doing that?

Caporegime
Anyway I'm slowly getting this watch to work as I would like, one bug bear I haven't ironed out yet. When I'm using my iPhone in car play or listening to a podcast and I look at my watch I have the controls for say the podcast or music displayed on my watch. How do I stop it doing that?

It seems to go away on mine if I press the digital crown in. Goes back to clock until I specifically select the "now playing" app again.

Soldato
Wondering if anyone can help. My Apple Watch SE has seemingly lost a bunch of apps somehow :confused:

Things like the National Rail app, and Spotify for two. I'm sure there's a couple more.. I think I updated the watch a couple of weeks ago so it may have been then. I tried rebooting it but nothing. Any ideas?

Soldato
Some app makers have withdrawn their watch apps because they didn’t want to continue to develop them (E.g. no one used it and it was of limited usefulness).

The national rail app still hasn’t been updated for Face ID enabled phones, is anyone even working on that? It’s a buggy mess in my experience.

Soldato
The national rail app still hasn’t been updated for Face ID enabled phones, is anyone even working on that? It’s a buggy mess in my experience.
Hmm it was working fine with my iPhone 13 (face Id enabled). It was helpful just for my next trains view.

And what about Spotify? I’m sure something else is going on.

Caporegime
The rumour sites say that the Apple Watch Ultra might be on the same cycle as the SE - roughly 2-3 years in between models. The next version is not expected until 2024/5 with a bigger micro LED display.

It is unclear if Apple will update the ‌Apple Watch Ultra‌ prior to when it implements microLED, but given that we're at least two years away from the new model, we could get an in-between update. That said, it isn't yet known if Apple will update annually or if the ‌Apple Watch Ultra‌ will be more like the Apple Watch SE with occasional updates.

I think I will hold out for that microLED model despite my saying I would upgrade to every new one that came out. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm it was working fine with my iPhone 13 (face Id enabled). It was helpful just for my next trains view.

And what about Spotify? I’m sure something else is going on.
It works but it’s letter boxed with black bars top and bottom because it hasn’t been updated to work with the new aspect ratio that came in with the iPhone 10. It’s got the iPhone 8 fixed aspect ratio. Also the date and times boxes are a mess in the journey planner and pretty buggy. They got broken in an iOS update a few years ago and were never fixed.

your right in that it might be something else going on, Google search Spotify watch app disappeared, it seems to be a thing.

Associate
Have to admit, getting very tempted to pick up an Ultra....

At the point where I'm happy to wait until September and see if a Gen 2 is announced and with that potential sales on the current model.

Associate
Have to admit, getting very tempted to pick up an Ultra....

At the point where I'm happy to wait until September and see if a Gen 2 is announced and with that potential sales on the current model.
Costco had some good prices for a long time (maybe even now not sure but certainly from January - April) at £699 which was a pretty deep discount for current gen.

Soldato
Just found this option whilst looking for Battery Health. Settings > General > Auto Launch

Back
Top Bottom