Poll: *** The official Apple Watch Series 8 thread (it can detect when you crash your car and everything!) ***

Which Apple Watch Series 8 will you get?

• Total voters

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I had the AW8 before returning in and from my personal experience it wasn’t the case at all. It’s probably more to do with how often the Garmin logs data and the amount of in depth analysis it can provide too.

I’m not knocking the Apple Watch but the way I see it is if you want in depth tracking and a wider range of metrics on your health and recovery go for a Garmin, if you want a smartphone on your wrist go for an Apple. Can’t go wrong with either it’s just personal preference and what works for you

Yea Garmin provide a lot more metrics that is for sure. The point you made about the sensors not being as good I found odd since the Apple watch HR sensor is very accurate, better than the Garmin. Garmin sleep tracking isn't that good which it uses to calculate things like recovery and body battery.

All those metrics are great but personally unless you action them it's just noise. In some cases it can have a negative effect on your training if it reports sub optimal data.

Commissario
OP
much more accurate sensors

Apple appears top of the pack when it comes to sensors and sleep tracking.

When the Apple Watch first came out, there were a lot of people saying that a wrist based heart rate sensor couldn’t be as good as a ‘proper’ chest sensor but this was said as a generalisation without any evidence.

When it was tested, it was found to be very good and totally on-par with more expensive sensors. The trouble is that this incorrect perception has continued kicking around.

I did a direct comparison between my iPhone and a Garmin with a chest sensor and they were pretty much both exactly the same.

Associate
Garmin does offer more frequent data gathering and more metrics but I've filled a bit of that gap with the HealthFit app. For everything else, the Apple Watch is miles ahead i.e. lifestyle things like music, payments, notifications, etc.

When the Apple Watch first came out, there were a lot of people saying that a wrist based heart rate sensor couldn’t be as good as a ‘proper’ chest sensor but this was said as a generalisation without any evidence.

When it was tested, it was found to be very good and totally on-par with more expensive sensors. The trouble is that this incorrect perception has continued kicking around.

I did a direct comparison between my iPhone and a Garmin with a chest sensor and they were pretty much both exactly the same.
The whole chest vs wrist thing usually comes down to the type of exercise, otherwise I agree that there is very little difference and most high-end watches have great sensors.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
The whole chest vs wrist thing usually comes down to the type of exercise, otherwise I agree that there is very little difference and most high-end watches have great sensors.

Indeed. The more wrist flexion/movement the less accurate a wrist based HRM is.

Soldato
Garmin does offer more frequent data gathering and more metrics but I've filled a bit of that gap with the HealthFit app. For everything else, the Apple Watch is miles ahead i.e. lifestyle things like music, payments, notifications, etc.
This is it really, I get way more data into my workouts etc because of this. For me if I still wanted a “smartwatch” with full iOS integration I’d have probably stuck with the aw8 but for what the Garmin offers me based on my own experience Apple can’t match it.

For example:

I’ve not been able to get minute by minute accuracy like this on Apple Watches and it’s due to the frequency of data recording. For my treadmill workout there where I walk for 2 minutes I wouldn't be able to capture that variation with the AW8.

Maybe I had a faulty AW8 if it does?

Last edited:
Associate
I’ve not been able to get minute by minute accuracy like this on Apple Watches and it’s due to the frequency of data recording. For my treadmill workout there where I walk for 2 minutes I wouldn't be able to capture that variation with the AW8.

Maybe I had a faulty AW8 if it does?
It shouldn't be that infrequent, especially during a workout - I've done a couple outdoor runs on my Series 6 and it's pretty good at tracking variations at the second level.

It's not like it can't do more regular readings, but the main limiting factor would be battery life.

Soldato
Yea Garmin provide a lot more metrics that is for sure. The point you made about the sensors not being as good I found odd since the Apple watch HR sensor is very accurate, better than the Garmin. Garmin sleep tracking isn't that good which it uses to calculate things like recovery and body battery.

All those metrics are great but personally unless you action them it's just noise. In some cases it can have a negative effect on your training if it reports sub optimal data.

For a second there, that video still, and your signature, I thought that guy was in a wheelchair...

• Haha
Reactions: LiE
Caporegime
What do you do on Apple Fitness+ in terms of content? I quite like yoga but and the "Time to Walk" episodes but barely touched anything else.

HIIT, Pilates, Core and will start doing strength too. I will try the time to walk, I didn't know about that. For me it's been a great break to my usual running routine. I can see why you would try the Yoga, Jessica is one attractive lady! :D

Soldato
Is it worth waiting for the series 9 rather than the 8? I got rid of my ultra, was wasted on myself. I liked the bulk and size, however it was over engineered for what I needed.

Since selling I really miss a watch on my wrist at night times, I don’t wear my automatics in bed. Should I take the plunge for a series 8 -45mm gps, or wait for the series 9?

Soldato
My series 8 isn’t tracking my steps correctly.

Walked 9km today but my watch shows less than 4k steps and only 201 calories which I know is wrong.

I’ll try sync my watch again tomorrow and see if that fixes it.

Last edited:
Associate
So after having the Ultra for about a week now I’ve decided to send it back.

While the extra Battery life is great, it’s just a bit too big for me to use as a daily device.

Glad I tried it though, if only to know that the regular watches are better suited for me. The 45mm is definitely the sweet spot.

Going to wait nearer the AW9 announcement now and either get the new 9 or get a deal on the Series 8.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom