*** The official Apple Watch Series 9, 10 (and Ultra 2) thread (it has double tap and everything!) ***

Annoying that they didn't update the Ultra as I would like the better screen tech of the series 10 but not sure I want to give up the action button, 2 day battery life, better GPS and I just prefer how the Ultra looks as I got bored of the original Apple Watch look.

As long as you've got an iPhone then you don't need an Apple Watch to use Fitness+ - you don't get the rings on the screen of course, but you can do the workouts with no issue at all.

For example, I have a Concept2 rower and regularly do the rowing workouts. Fitness+ running on Apple TV, iPhone allows me to start the workout. I track the workout on my Garmin. Job done.
Slightly off topic but

Curious about this. Are the workouts for the concept2 daily/weekly? I don’t have fitness+ but I’ve just recently completed the concept 2 podcast as the fly wheel spins. I was just using my watch to record my rowing and it shows the following which isn’t great at all to be honest.

Would it sync distance, stroke rate etc or would I have to use the concept app instead?

CZMIDju_d.webp

Would it sync distance, stroke rate etc or would I have to use the concept app instead?
So the rowing workouts get released frequently, they're a little 'generic' at times but a solid motivator. There's no real training plan as such, just a load of workouts of varying lengths. But they are good.

The Garmin connects directly to the Concept2 via ANT+ and you get this sort of data out of it:
agqJLl3.jpeg

BWFEvqT.jpeg

It won't sync that data to Apple Fitness but that doesn't really matter to me as long as i'm tracking it somewhere. The Concept2 app will record a lot of data but not much gets pushed to the Apple Fitness app from memory.

Last edited:
So the rowing workouts get released frequently, they're a little 'generic' at times but a solid motivator. There's no real training plan as such, just a load of workouts of varying lengths. But they are good.

The Garmin connects directly to the Concept2 via ANT+ and you get this sort of data out of it:
agqJLl3.jpeg

BWFEvqT.jpeg

It won't sync that data to Apple Fitness but that doesn't really matter to me as long as i'm tracking it somewhere. The Concept2 app will record a lot of data but not much gets pushed to the Apple Fitness app from memory.

Thanks for that. Thinking that’s the way to go.

Thanks for that. Thinking that’s the way to go.
The only thing I'd really say is be careful not to get too bogged down with the metrics. I love having tons of data, but the truth is that I'm not an elite athlete and most of it is completely wasted on me. Truth is that the only thing thats really important is consistency and pushing myself to improve my fitness (and lose some fat). I actually think the Apple Watch with the rings does that better than Garmin. To give you an example, I did a Zwift workout last night, Zwift Academy workout 2 which was really quite challenging. Pushed myself and this is what Garmin tells me afterwards...

0qoAUKY.jpeg

To say that after a 70 minute workout that really pushed me, is not motivating. Actually, it did motivate me to look at the black Apple Watch Ultra 2 again so there is that :D
What I should really do is ignore the training status because all that means is that it thinks my VO2 max has dropped a bit. But nowhere does it explain that of course, you have to go digging.

TLDR: accurate heart rate important. Motivation important. Pushing yourself hard important. Tons of metrics not really important.

Once you go Ultra I can’t imagine going back, the flat screen is much better, far brighter in direct sunlight, the action button is actually useful, battery life is far better than the standard watch, the only thing I’d like is the new screen tech of the 10 don’t refreshes more often in wrist down mode.

The only thing I'd really say is be careful not to get too bogged down with the metrics. I love having tons of data, but the truth is that I'm not an elite athlete and most of it is completely wasted on me. Truth is that the only thing thats really important is consistency and pushing myself to improve my fitness (and lose some fat). I actually think the Apple Watch with the rings does that better than Garmin. To give you an example, I did a Zwift workout last night, Zwift Academy workout 2 which was really quite challenging. Pushed myself and this is what Garmin tells me afterwards...

0qoAUKY.jpeg

To say that after a 70 minute workout that really pushed me, is not motivating. Actually, it did motivate me to look at the black Apple Watch Ultra 2 again so there is that :D
What I should really do is ignore the training status because all that means is that it thinks my VO2 max has dropped a bit. But nowhere does it explain that of course, you have to go digging.

TLDR: accurate heart rate important. Motivation important. Pushing yourself hard important. Tons of metrics not really important.

So after reading that. I think I’ll stick with my ultra and use ErgData to record the row. Tried it last night and it worked out well.

It shows as the C2 logo on the fitness app give you the time and heart rate. The cp2 app tells you everything like you say a data overload!

So after reading that. I think I’ll stick with my ultra and use ErgData to record the row. Tried it last night and it worked out well.

It shows as the C2 logo on the fitness app give you the time and heart rate. The cp2 app tells you everything like you say a data overload!
I’m actually going to try this myself tonight. So did you do a Fitness+ workout? If so, does it double count the workout towards the rings? That’s my main concern.

Last edited:
I'm considering selling my 9 45mm and upgrading to the Ultra2. I fancy the bigger screen and the better battery. Undecided...!
Don't do it. Work out the devaluation being worse than an electric car and how often you will end up changing it. I mean even the standard watch loses £300 in two years, do you really want to spend £150-200 a year for a watch which is throw away tech and has little value after 2 years. It still has poor battery life and a short lifespan. And people used to say it was nuts to spend 1k on a 'proper watch', which actually had value, lasted a lifetime and didn't look like it was designed for a child.

Save your money, spend it on haribo instead.

Don't do it. Work out the devaluation being worse than an electric car and how often you will end up changing it. I mean even the standard watch loses £300 in two years, do you really want to spend £150-200 a year for a watch which is throw away tech and has little value after 2 years. It still has poor battery life and a short lifespan. And people used to say it was nuts to spend 1k on a 'proper watch', which actually had value, lasted a lifetime and didn't look like it was designed for a child.

Save your money, spend it on haribo instead.
Something tells me you don’t much like the Apple Watch…

You could say the same about all tech when it comes to depreciation, with that mindset you’d never buy anything.

In my view spending £1k on a ‘proper’ watch makes no sense. If all I wanted it to do is tell the time I’d get a £10 Casio. Think you’re missing the point.

Back
Top Bottom