*** The official Apple Watch Series 9, 10 (and Ultra 2) thread (it has double tap and everything!) ***

Fancy buying an all action £700 activity watch and worrying about a few dings and nicks. Again the huge issue with these things not actually using them for what they were designed for or being resilient enough for what they were designed for. The second people put them on they worry about the trade in value in 12-24 months time. Before I traded in my sons black SE for the newer version I coloured in any scratches with a black sharpie :D
Lets be completely honest, the Ultra is still a lifestyle watch more than it is an adventure watch - at least thats how I view it. My Garmins I tend to use and abuse and keep for years but I've found that the battery degradation of the Apple Watches means that its almost expected that you'll need to upgrade in a year or two if you use these devices with any vigour - so the resell value is more important.

In any case, I returned mine today.

My series 3 is completely and utterly battered. The top and crown edges of the glass where it curves over the side is just scratch after scratch it’s hard to see where one ends and the next starts, fortunately only a couple go over the face.

I agree, it's bonkers. People put things in ugly cases so that they look nice for the next owner.

I work with people who have complete face and side covers on apple watches. It is for that reason they are colleagues and not friends. But they do have all that sleep tracking data that they are proud to do nothing with.
Lets be completely honest, the Ultra is still a lifestyle watch more than it is an adventure watch - at least thats how I view it. My Garmins I tend to use and abuse and keep for years but I've found that the battery degradation of the Apple Watches means that its almost expected that you'll need to upgrade in a year or two if you use these devices with any vigour - so the resell value is more important.

In any case, I returned mine today.

I do agree but the re-sale or trade in value on AW is terrible anyway. My series 8 is worth £130 and the battery is down to 93%. Even though I don't use AOD just that loss of 7% has taken me from 2 and half days of charge to just over a day. I don't think the standard watch is worth worrying about keeping pristine because it's lost so much value anyway.

I don't see the point of buying the Ultra is you aren't interested in the features it offers as a 'rugged' sports watch. The again I'm biased and think it looks like a kids toy watch so probably cannot understand why anyone would buy one who didn't want the sports and fitness tracking and GPS functions.

This is what supporting Everton does to you people, turns you into a right old grump
:cry:

They are dead to me, I hope they get relegated. The only team are the Montreal Canadiens, first pre-season game was last night so despite being in a much better mood the Smart Watches are still 'the emperors new clothes'. :p

I went from Series 7 Stainless Steel to Series 10 Natural Titanium and it's a lovely upgrade. The slight increase in screensize and marginal thinness are subtle but noticable. Battery life seems great too

WatchOS 11 is full of bugs on the 'Custom Workout' feature of the workout app for running. Loses most of the GPS map data for the workout. Already wasted several hours on the phone to Apple trying to report this bug.

Do they even bother testing these updates before they roll them out.

WatchOS 11 is full of bugs on the 'Custom Workout' feature of the workout app for running. Loses most of the GPS map data for the workout. Already wasted several hours on the phone to Apple trying to report this bug.

Do they even bother testing these updates before they roll them out.
No issues for me on the Series 9 when doing a custom running workout?

Quick question on battery charging.

As the Ultra battery easily lasts two or more days and is still around 2/3rds full by the time I take it off at night, am I best putting it on charge every night and "topping up" the battery or letting it run down a bit more and charging every other night?

As the Ultra battery easily lasts two or more days and is still around 2/3rds full by the time I take it off at night, am I best putting it on charge every night and "topping up" the battery or letting it run down a bit more and charging every other night?

Personally I chuck it on charge every other day in the morning. Usually whilst I shower, but I like the sleep tracking overnight.

It really doesn’t matter. You’ll get people saying you should charge it when it gets to 20% and others saying different.

Realistically, you only need to read the iPhone battery thread to see that it doesn’t matter what you do. For the length of time we own these devices, you might recover 1 or 2% of the battery life over five years by treating it with kid gloves.

Just do what’s convenient to you.

Not sure if people are aware but the Ultra and Ultra 2 seem to have a fault where the screen lifts.

The screen is meant to be slightly below to case, its designed that way to protect the screen.

I bought a used ultra 2 and the screen was lifted above the case so I knew it was not right so I returned it even though the seller thought i was wrong.

Then i bought another and low and behold the case is above the screen so is correct.

Looking as adverts for used Ultras and Ultra 2 I noticed some had this screen lift also so it may be a fairly common fault.

Anyone here experienced screen lifting, I would imagine it is caused by the battery swelling slightly.

Not sure if people are aware but the Ultra and Ultra 2 seem to have a fault where the screen lifts.

The screen is meant to be slightly below to case, its designed that way to protect the screen.

I bought a used ultra 2 and the screen was lifted above the case so I knew it was not right so I returned it even though the seller thought i was wrong.

Then i bought another and low and behold the case is above the screen so is correct.

Looking as adverts for used Ultras and Ultra 2 I noticed some had this screen lift also so it may be a fairly common fault.

Anyone here experienced screen lifting, I would imagine it is caused by the battery swelling slightly.
Never had that issue on my Ultra 1 from 2yrs ago, my silver Ultra 2 after a year is still fine and so far my black Ultra 2 looks fine.

Can’t say I’ve seen it on any when I was looking to get one, sister’s AWU from release day is fine too.

I agree, it's bonkers. People put things in ugly cases so that they look nice for the next owner.
Surely you can see this is why?
KO1SsKs.png

oPixeaJ.png

KO1SsKs.png
oPixeaJ.png

Not just for resale or trade in value especially as I upgrade yearly, so the better the trade in price the less it's going to cost me to upgrade. I put my 16 PM in an ultra thin case (Torras Ultra Thin 16 PM) because for one it makes it far easier to grip because otherwise it's like trying to hold a wet bar of soap when it's naked, two it helps protect the phone if it's dropped as well as rear camera lens when flat. A cool little feature of this case it has a little stand around the camera lens that's pretty much invisible when folded down, most cases just have a bulge around the lens but Torras made it a useful feature this year. And with the case being so thin it's pretty much the same size as a naked phone anyway.

Last edited:
Absolutely not, it's exactly what I said, it means you have to look at a case all the time because you're keeping it nice for the next person.

It really doesn't take much to look after something. I've got a few scratches on the glass of my 13PM but the rest is mint. Ever since the first pocket sized phone, my phone has always gone in my left pocket, keys and cash (not that I carry cash any more) go in my right pocket.

I don't know who that screenshot is for, if you trade in with Apple. they don't care about scratches.

Case / no case people will never agree.

Back
Top Bottom