*** The official Apple Watch Series 9, 10 (and Ultra 2) thread (it has double tap and everything!) ***

I'm right in the middle of two polar opposite decisions:
1) Going up to the Apple shop and picking up an Ultra 2 on release day
2) Sticking with my scratched, dented series 4.

I looked on Music Magpie and they're willing to offer me the princely sum of £8.50 for it. :D

I was actually tempted to upgrade my ultra to 2 purely for the double tap thing, for me that would be so handy.

Anyway, I looked up the resale value of it, damn. It’s a lot lower than I thought it would be. After keeping my s3 until last year I think I’ll keep this as well until the battery is goosed and get the ultra 5 as I can’t justify the additional cost just to be able to use that feature.

I was actually tempted to upgrade my ultra to 2 purely for the double tap thing, for me that would be so handy.

Anyway, I looked up the resale value of it, damn. It’s a lot lower than I thought it would be. After keeping my s3 until last year I think I’ll keep this as well until the battery is goosed and get the ultra 5 as I can’t justify the additional cost just to be able to use that feature.

Yeah the watches certainly don't hold as much value as the iPhones do. I've got a Series 8 and after having had a play with an Ultra a while ago I did briefly consider getting an Ultra 2. But the 45mm Series 8 was £450 when I got it last year and it looks like I'd be lucky to get much more than £200 for it now. Quite the drop. I'll leave it at least another couple of years I think.

Last edited:
What are you upgrading from? I’ve got the 6…I think I can go another year before needing to.
I’m not. I’ve got a Series 7. I said I can do it, not that I'm going to ;)

At least. I’m not yet. I was thinking I could quite easily go another year and go to a three year cycle but that means I’d be on a three year cycle for both watch and phone at the same time. I may give it a couple of months and do the watch so that I’m splitting things up.

I’ve gone series 0 -> 4 -> 9. I think every five years is more than fine for a new smartwatch. I probably could have got another year or two out of the series 4 but the lure of new and shiny was too great.

My Ultra 2 is due between 15:40 - 16:40.

I’ve gone series 2 > 4 > 6 > 7 > Ultra 2.

I usually have a 2 year cycle for watches unless there’s something new that I want, usually bigger screens or faster processors.

Went Ultra 2 mainly to get last years features, this years features and wanted a new design as the standard watch really hasn’t changed since the series 0.

Got my ultra 2.

psuw1C7.jpg

Yeah the watches certainly don't hold as much value as the iPhones do. I've got a Series 8 and after having had a play with an Ultra a while ago I did briefly consider getting an Ultra 2. But the 45mm Series 8 was £450 when I got it last year and it looks like I'd be lucky to get much more than £200 for it now. Quite the drop. I'll leave it at least another couple of years I think.

Yeah, lesson learnt for me. I just automatically assumed they’d hold value like the rest of their products that must be the only one that’s essentially worthless after a year. Feel like an android user.

Due to a glitch on my providers account, I may be getting an AWU2 after they waived the early upgrade fee on my AWU which I only got in April :D

Wasn't even looking but I had the same glitch on my phone account so thought I'd see what my watch account said. Was gunning for the blue/grey alpine loop but they didn't have stock so went for trail loop again. I'm 90% they'll cancel the order, but gotta be worth a shot :p

Last edited:
After trying on a friend's Ultra today, I've pulled the trigger on an Ultra 2 with a trail loop. It will be a nice upgrade on my current S3.

Having not seen/tried the trail loop before, would Apple give the option to swap it in the shop for an Alpine strap (assuming they had stock) if I preferred that?

or is it a case of returning the whole watch for one that comes with the Alpine?

Is the new SE not just a rebadged Series 8 without fast charge? Still in two minds on what to get, could someone tell me how slow is the standard charging without the "fast charge"?

Last edited:
At least. I’m not yet. I was thinking I could quite easily go another year and go to a three year cycle but that means I’d be on a three year cycle for both watch and phone at the same time. I may give it a couple of months and do the watch so that I’m splitting things up.

Yeah. No. Maybe.

I’m picking up an Ultra 2 tomorrow ;)

Back
Top Bottom