*** The Official Astronomy & Universe Thread ***

Soldato
There are 2 screw threads that stick out of the tube and there are holes in the base of the mount on the sight, you place the screws through the holes then use 2 fastening bolty things that screw on to tighten it. The trouble is the mount base is curved in the same way as the tube, so when you tighten the screws it always fits into the same position.

Man of Honour
Clear sky tonight. Had a good look and i think I've spotted Jupiter - quite clearly but need confirming.

Just slightly to the top right of Orion, there's a small red star. I'm taking that is Aldebaran part of Taurus... then further to the right still a very bright star.. looking at the map, this appears to be Jupiter.

jupitor.jpg

edit - yes it has to be . there's a row of three stars to the right of that that make part of the seven sisters M45 :)

Soldato
Actually had some fantastic clear skies last night and managed to get some excellent images although my polar alignment was slightly off.

First is M42 The Orion Nebula, probably my favourite image so far.

M42 Orion's Nebula by JHarris88, on Flickr

Next up is the Pleiades

M45 The Pleiades by JHarris88, on Flickr

Finally I managed to find M81 & M82 didn't manage to get as many exposures as I would have liked but either way I think it turned out fantastic.

M81 & M82 by JHarris88, on Flickr

Soldato
Great images Jongo, what equipment are you using?

Skywatcher 150p on a EQ3-2 Mount.

Taken with a Canon 1100D attached to the scope. Its not the best setup but astrophotography but its a starting point, just need to work on my polar alignment and I should be able to get a lot better images :D

Soldato
I'm currently sat here on M42.. 9x10 minute subs, 10 sec subs, 4 second subs in Luminosity.. next it's just finishing 9x10 minute subs in Red... then I might call it a night!

Man of Honour
Skywatcher 150p on a EQ3-2 Mount.

Taken with a Canon 1100D attached to the scope. Its not the best setup but astrophotography but its a starting point, just need to work on my polar alignment and I should be able to get a lot better images :D

What exposure settings are you using?

Soldato
What exposure settings are you using?

For M81 & M82
1x15s
9x10s
2x25s
5x30s

All at ISO 3200.

M45

15x15s
5x30s
1x60s

All ISO 3200 again.

M42

10x15s

ISO 1600

a lot of it was mainly experimenting to see what results i could get since my polar alignment was a bit off and my hands were freezing so I couldn't be bothered to redo it, but once stacked they all turned out rather well :D

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
If the Universe is expanding, what is it expanding into?
Is it destroying stuff on its way the same way a normal explosion would?

Nobody knows and it's likely nobody will ever know (getting to the edge of our* Universe).

*If you follow the multi-Universe theory!

Soldato
Would be interesting to know just because stuff like that interests me..
Maybe everything that goes into a black hole gets dumped outside of our universe and thats what we are expanding into...

My other interest is the distance away that the Voyager probes are, if we could travel at the speed of light they are less than 18 hours away, yet were launched in the 70's...

Wonder if the human race will ever see them again..

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
What goes through a wormhole could get dumped somewhere else but a black hole's centre is known as a singularity, a single point of zero volume but infinite density.

This quote makes you wonder what it must feel like:

Observers falling into a Schwarzschild black hole (i.e. non-rotating and no charges) cannot avoid being carried into the singularity, once they cross the event horizon. They can prolong the experience by accelerating away to slow their descent, but only up to a point; after attaining a certain ideal velocity, it is best to free fall the rest of the way.[57] When they reach the singularity, they are crushed to infinite density and their mass is added to the total of the black hole. Before that happens, they will have been torn apart by the growing tidal forces in a process sometimes referred to as spaghettification or the "noodle effect".[58]

:eek:

Back
Top Bottom