Poll: ***The Official Battlefield 3 Thread***

Xbox 360 BF3 server preference

• Total voters
Associate
I think, it only works for laser guided lock on's now, stingers/iglas still lock on.

Pretty pointless having the option tbh, but people moan, and EA listen to the moaners.

Ah right, I also try to fly behind buildings, trees etc to try shake the locks/missiles but always seem to hit :(. I noticed they removed flares from gunner position as well.

Not very hard to take down helicopters from the ground now, but bloody annoying when flying.

Soldato
Ah right, I also try to fly behind buildings, trees etc to try shake the locks/missiles but always seem to hit :(. I noticed they removed flares from gunner position as well.

Not very hard to take down helicopters from the ground now, but bloody annoying when flying.

Another nerf people cried for, tbh they should give gunners flares again, on maps like Sharqi avoiding lock on can be impossible to hide from.

Associate
They should do something, I guess removing gunner flares was just the easiest option for them. Was playing last night and you really have to hig the ground to stop lock on and I think your right with stingers still working past it.

Associate
So I bought this preowned today for PS3 for £8 and thought the EA had got rid of the online pass, but it says £8 to buy a pass :(, dont mind paying it its just isn't EA getting rid of this? I know its free on xbox now right? any news on when the PS will be free?

Soldato
So I bought this preowned today for PS3 for £8 and thought the EA had got rid of the online pass, but it says £8 to buy a pass :(, dont mind paying it its just isn't EA getting rid of this? I know its free on xbox now right? any news on when the PS will be free?

When will specific games have their Online Pass turned off?
The latest releases of EA SPORTS games are the first. Over the next several weeks, Online Pass will either be removed completely, or will be available for free in the PlayStation Store and Xbox LIVE Marketplace.

Please note that our advisors will not be able to provide you an Online Pass code before that game's pass requirements are disabled. We appreciate your patience.

just need to wait a little and it should be free.

Caporegime
They should do something, I guess removing gunner flares was just the easiest option for them. Was playing last night and you really have to hig the ground to stop lock on and I think your right with stingers still working past it.

The mobile AA and ASRAM / Vodnik AA and other Jets & Helis are affected by below radar.

If one of these is locking onto you, get below 25 feet and he can't lock onto you anymore. But fly close enough and you're liable to be one shotted by RPG from infranty, unguided rockets from the ASRAM,Tank shells etc..

However the biggest problem is that the hand held Stinger / IGLA are not affected and can lock on at any height. Further more, they can have up to 6 of them. You can deflect the first one with ECM, but after that 5 second window they can lock on again and you've got a 5 second window before it recharges during which your only way of evading is basically to hide, get hit, repair and set off again.

Its ridiculous. And DICE have said its just fine they way it is because it allows anybody to take out any helicopter at will.

The only time i've ever seen a helicopter do well, is on Wake Island rush where the defenders have no air assets. The attackers have a viper, and if the viper goes high enough, and fair away enough and hovers, he can just TV missile without anybody being able to touch him. Requires both the pilot and the gunner to work as a team however and resist the temptation to flyi n close and try and shoot infantry.

If its a stinger locking onto you, nothing will stop them locking onto you. The problem was that upon armored kill getting released they:

1) removed attack chopper's gunner flares
2) doubled the range of the stinger to enable it to hit the AC130
3) removed below radar for Stinger / IGLAs as they said it was a bug and was always supposed to be in there

to me, all 3 changes at once was a huge inbalance. But DICE have patched twice since (aftermath and end game) and refused to do anything about it.

Last edited:
Associate
The mobile AA and ASRAM / Vodnik AA and other Jets & Helis are affected by below radar.

If one of these is locking onto you, get below 25 feet and he can't lock onto you anymore. But fly close enough and you're liable to be one shotted by RPG from infranty, unguided rockets from the ASRAM,Tank shells etc..

However the biggest problem is that the hand held Stinger / IGLA are not affected and can lock on at any height. Further more, they can have up to 6 of them. You can deflect the first one with ECM, but after that 5 second window they can lock on again and you've got a 5 second window before it recharges during which your only way of evading is basically to hide, get hit, repair and set off again.

Its ridiculous. And DICE have said its just fine they way it is because it allows anybody to take out any helicopter at will.

The only time i've ever seen a helicopter do well, is on Wake Island rush where the defenders have no air assets. The attackers have a viper, and if the viper goes high enough, and fair away enough and hovers, he can just TV missile without anybody being able to touch him. Requires both the pilot and the gunner to work as a team however and resist the temptation to flyi n close and try and shoot infantry.

If its a stinger locking onto you, nothing will stop them locking onto you. The problem was that upon armored kill getting released they:

1) removed attack chopper's gunner flares
2) doubled the range of the stinger to enable it to hit the AC130
3) removed below radar for Stinger / IGLAs as they said it was a bug and was always supposed to be in there

to me, all 3 changes at once was a huge inbalance. But DICE have patched twice since (aftermath and end game) and refused to do anything about it.

It's annoying! just can't seem to avoid them, must be a trick to it somehow. I want a few more MBT kills/destroys with helicopters for a dog tag and its driving me nuts. TV Missiles are so hard to control unless the pilots lines up which is very, very rare :(. Might start using guided missile!

Soldato
It's annoying! just can't seem to avoid them, must be a trick to it somehow. I want a few more MBT kills/destroys with helicopters for a dog tag and its driving me nuts. TV Missiles are so hard to control unless the pilots lines up which is very, very rare :(. Might start using guided missile!

Find a good pilot and be the gunner, wont take long then.

Associate
So they gave out the free online pass! and now im hooked and i suck! you can up to the premium for 19.99 on PS Store atm, do you get the multiplayer shortcuts to all weapons etc with it? if so its a done deal.

When I played BC2 half the fun was unlocking new weapons, but im so late to the game with BF3 everyone is killing it (or me).

Caporegime
Yeah nearly every game will have about 80 % colonels in who have unlocked everything. Then you get people like me that have played the game for hundreds and hundreds of hours and know all the weapons, the unlocks, the maps etc..

Makes it quite inaccessible for newcomers.

Quick tips for you, play assault or engineer at first, assault on maps without vehicles, engineer on maps with vehicles.

As assault, get yourself the M416 as soon as possible and stick with it. Get a red dot sight or holographic sight and a heavy barrel and stick with it.

As engineer, get yourself the A91 or M4 when you play US and stick with them. Get the foregrip on and get a RDS or holo sight again. Get rockets and start shooting tanks. Aim for the back or sides if you can, they do most damage.

Soldato
So they gave out the free online pass! and now im hooked and i suck! you can up to the premium for 19.99 on PS Store atm, do you get the multiplayer shortcuts to all weapons etc with it? if so its a done deal.

When I played BC2 half the fun was unlocking new weapons, but im so late to the game with BF3 everyone is killing it (or me).

Tbh honest, i would just stick to Vanilla mapps now, unless a deal come for premium, Im almost done with the game now, 5 more ranks and i can play other stuff :o

Just started Infamous 2 which is great.

Associate
We need to hook up on some conquest and just whore the chopper martin. I'll fly you about :)

Didn't even realise people had replied! Sure, whenever you want! I'm still getting used to TV Missile, managed a few hits but no kills yet, I always do most damage then some random engineer shoots a rocket and I only get the assists.

Soldato
How come claymore mines don't stay when you die? Trying to get kills with them but they just seem completely useless and rubbish.

Any tips?

Because people moaned, and Dice listened, Best tip is to have explosives perk, put 2 claymores down, and throw an ammo pack on the first one, they wont see it, and boom.

Caporegime

Play tdm with whichever class you like and use the 870 shotgun. you'll rank up your class quickly if you can hit anything half well.

once you have better weapons in the class available use them where you feel best (in non tdm the normal class guns are better than shotguns).
If assault is your future then med pack and paddles are a must. throw medpacks and revive as often as you can.
if recon then get a tugs and stick it somewhere in tdm that will get lots of points (easier with a mav) and run a shotgun. you'll rank up nice and quick :)

Caporegime
admins are able to restrict what weapons and tools are used!

no no no no no no no no no no

There are already enough servers breaking the EA Server Rental T&C by trying to enforce stupid rules

No Semi Auto Snipers, No Shotguns, No PDWs, No Stinger / IGLA, No Javelin, no M320, no 100 Star Colonels etc.. etc..

its stupid. Server owners should not be able to force what weapons and tools should be used. Play the game DICE designed, if you don't like the fact that you can be killed by semi auto snipers, PLAY ANOTHER GAME !

Its why I largely play on DICE only servers at the moment. I cannot be bothered with the stupid rules that are just designed to flatter the player that rented the server and give them the best kills.

Soldato
no no no no no no no no no no

There are already enough servers breaking the EA Server Rental T&C by trying to enforce stupid rules

No Semi Auto Snipers, No Shotguns, No PDWs, No Stinger / IGLA, No Javelin, no M320, no 100 Star Colonels etc.. etc..

its stupid. Server owners should not be able to force what weapons and tools should be used. Play the game DICE designed, if you don't like the fact that you can be killed by semi auto snipers, PLAY ANOTHER GAME !

Its why I largely play on DICE only servers at the moment. I cannot be bothered with the stupid rules that are just designed to flatter the player that rented the server and give them the best kills.

Dont see what difference it makes to be honest. I am only level 15 and even I have been booted for the stupidest reasons. One admin in a chopper booted me for using my SOFLAM to lock him.

Caporegime
its a hot topic amongst the BF3 community at the minute the way that the servers get set up. Essentially any user rented servers are set up to allow the server owned to rank up as quick as possible by playing the game types and maps and with rules to get them the most points.

This is great for them, but not so great for people who want to play a variety of maps.

Back
Top Bottom