***The Official Black Panther Thread ere***

Soldato
I assumed the fact that Thanos seemingly sends his minions to Wakanda in the Avengers teaser and most of the team is alongside Black Panther meant it must lead neatly in, even if it is a self contained story. Also the vibranium super tech thing is bound to be linked to the last infinity stone post hoc ergo propter hoc it's links to Infinity Wars ;).

Commissario
I just got back from watching it with my brother in law, brother and nephews (all big comic book fans) and we all loved it.

The only thing I think it was missing was Cato jumping out of the closet at random intervals.
My brother didn't have a Clouseau what I was talking about when I said that in the car.

Caporegime
Just got back, I enjoyed it a lot.

Visually it was really quite different to other Marvel movies, thanks to the African influence. I'd say the story line didn't particularly push the boundaries of the marvel template, but having said that it all hung together well and there weren't anything I thought was bad.

Not at the top of the pile in terms of the action sequences. I don't know if it was my Cinema, but one of the opening scenes in Nigeria was very dark and it was hard to see what was going on.

Andy Serkis and Michael B Jordan were good villains - generally something Marvel struggles with. Serkis got more to do than Avengers: Age of Ultron. All the cast were really good actually...

Post Credits sequences:
Neither was particularly important. The first one could have been the end of the movie and the second one just shows Bucky - We already know he's on Wakanda and we've seen him in the trailer for the next Avengers movie. Maybe 'White Wolf' has significance I'm not aware of though?

Soldato
Just got back, I enjoyed it a lot.

Visually it was really quite different to other Marvel movies, thanks to the African influence. I'd say the story line didn't particularly push the boundaries of the marvel template, but having said that it all hung together well and there weren't anything I thought was bad.

Not at the top of the pile in terms of the action sequences. I don't know if it was my Cinema, but one of the opening scenes in Nigeria was very dark and it was hard to see what was going on.

Andy Serkis and Michael B Jordan were good villains - generally something Marvel struggles with. Serkis got more to do than Avengers: Age of Ultron. All the cast were really good actually...

Post Credits sequences:
Neither was particularly important. The first one could have been the end of the movie and the second one just shows Bucky - We already know he's on Wakanda and we've seen him in the trailer for the next Avengers movie. Maybe 'White Wolf' has significance I'm not aware of though?

Went to see it last night and I agree with everything you've said. It felt different to all the other Marvel films but in a good way, it was a nice change of pace IMO. The villains were good and well acted, I really like Serkis he was crazy, Wakanda itself looked amazing and it was an easy but solid story.

I'm assuming the second Post Credit was mainly just to give a lead into Infinity War, not sure either if White Wolf has some significance. Will have to wait and see.

Soldato
Went to see it last night and I agree with everything you've said. It felt different to all the other Marvel films but in a good way, it was a nice change of pace IMO. The villains were good and well acted, I really like Serkis he was crazy, Wakanda itself looked amazing and it was an easy but solid story.

I'm assuming the second Post Credit was mainly just to give a lead into Infinity War, not sure either if White Wolf has some significance. Will have to wait and see.

i thought the opposite - it was a very safe, very bland Marvel movie.
I wish they had taken more risks.

Caporegime
I agree the story line was pretty safe. Despite his appearance in Civil War, it's sort of an Origin story for Black Panther.

People who complained Thor: Ragnarok was too much of a comedy should like it, as this had the least amount of one liners and quips I can remember for awhile in a Marvel movie. There were some funny moments but it was a lot more serious in tone.

The destruction of the Vibranium car and the drivers seat coming to a stop with Nakia still sitting at the wheel got the biggest laugh from me

Soldato
I'm just going to come right out and say it. I enjoyed the film right up to the when the word 'coloniser' was used.

When did racism become acceptable the other way?

Caporegime
It was an example of a 'white' movie that made a similar joke.

It's a joke. The audience laughed in my screening at the "coloniser" comment.

And perhaps the implication is that all people can be prejudiced...

Last edited:
Soldato
i have to say i'm a bit disappointed with some of the ridiculously transparent rave reviews for this film - seemingly all because it has black people in it.
A few i've seen claim it to be revolutionary and ground breaking, which i find a bit silly as its pretty average and derivative/corporate as i said above.
There have been far better black movies (and even black super hero movies) in the past that these reviewers seem to have totally forgotton about.

Back
Top Bottom