***The Official Black Panther Thread ere***

Soldato
I agree, average at best. The same formula as most other superhero films, the sister character annoyed the hell out of me, the obligatory pointless Stan Lee cameo, streets is a technologically advanced city were dirt tracks and everyone conveniently speaking English even though they have their own language (though that one I can slightly forgive as most people wouldn’t want to see a subtitle film as that might require some effort).

I’m getting bored of superhero films.

Associate
You would think that after 18 films that people would know what to expect when it comes to a Marvel film, but yet everyone still goes and then complains...

If you're getting bored of superhero films people, you do realise you don't have to go and see them....

The film was great - a solid 4/5 or 8/10. Anything higher and it's reaching Avengers level and it certainly wasn't as good as that.

Loved the new tech upgrades that the Panther suit got. Wakanda from a visual standpoint was stunning. The cinematography was tremendous. The 4K disc will be awesome.

Thought Jordan's performance was one of my highlights but I think top honor has to go to Letitia Wright. You could tell that Serkis had tons of fun playing Klaue.

Roll on Infinity War!!!

Associate
I found it very boring. Nothing really held my interest and I didn't care about any of the characters. The only guy I liked was the leader of the snow tribe.

Having read the critics critics reviews it just made me angry. They all just seem to rave about the fact it's largely a black cast, strong female characters and deals with issues of racism, slavery blah blah blah. Seems like that makes for a good film in critics eyes.

No interest in watching it again.

Soldato
You would think that after 18 films that people would know what to expect when it comes to a Marvel film, but yet everyone still goes and then complains...

If you're getting bored of superhero films people, you do realise you don't have to go and see them....

The film was great - a solid 4/5 or 8/10. Anything higher and it's reaching Avengers level and it certainly wasn't as good as that.

Loved the new tech upgrades that the Panther suit got. Wakanda from a visual standpoint was stunning. The cinematography was tremendous. The 4K disc will be awesome.

Thought Jordan's performance was one of my highlights but I think top honor has to go to Letitia Wright. You could tell that Serkis had tons of fun playing Klaue.

Roll on Infinity War!!!

And I may miss a Deadpool/Logan/Dark Knight/Guardians/Thor Ragnarok which were all far superior to most films of recent years. I am forever the eternal optimist so I'll pay my money and continue to go.

Associate
And I may miss a Deadpool/Logan/Dark Knight/Guardians/Thor Ragnarok which were all far superior to most films of recent years. I am forever the eternal optimist so I'll pay my money and continue to go.

And only two of those are within the MCU, which is the 18 I was referring to.

I just don't get the logic. You're getting bored of superhero films yet will continue to see said films you're bored of...? Doesn't make sense to me.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Having read the critics critics reviews it just made me angry. They all just seem to rave about the fact it's largely a black cast, strong female characters and deals with issues of racism, slavery blah blah blah. Seems like that makes for a good film in critics eyes.

I wondered if that would be the case. I'd read a few reviews and they were all falling over themselves to praise it and it felt like they would have been just as happy had it been an all black cast sitting around in a circle doing nothing for 2 hours.

Man of Honour
Just came out and while I enjoyed it I think my expectations were set way too high. It was still a good movie and I'd happily watch it again but it wasn't anything that special. It felt different to other marvel movies which was refreshing and it's nice to see from a diversity perspective. Good females, heavily black cast (dark skinned as well!), lovely visuals and costume design, and some decent action, but that doesn't make it a great movie.

I'd agree with the poster above that said the leader of the isolated tribe was the best character. Also liked lupita and danai in this.

Roll on Infinity War!!!

Completely forgot about her! Another one of my favourites :)

Soldato
@richyfingers
Having read the critics critics reviews it just made me angry. They all just seem to rave about the fact it's largely a black cast, strong female characters and deals with issues of racism, slavery blah blah blah. Seems like that makes for a good film in critics eyes
I find it rather annoying really with one critic I came across calling it "not a movie but a movement" . It reads like it's just a movie for black people when I don't believe any movie should single out groups or individuals on colour unless referring to historical context.

Last edited:
Watched this today and thought it was cack, in fact I am struggling to think of anything I enjoyed about it. story was nothing original not many decents action scenes, the bad guy wasn't that bad. the main thing that annoyed me though was that a lot of the first half was set during the night time and with the actors being black you couldnt see anything. 5/10 wouldnt watch again.

Caporegime
not exactly surprising that the virtue signalling "critics" over hyped this a bit too much and the reviews in here range from a few thinking it was awesome to people saying it was sort of OK but not that great... predicted that a couple of pages back

Soldato
I thought it was great...and after lots of historical slavery/racism/abuse if a black teenager wants to make a gag about colonisation, so be it. You’ll only hear privilidged white males complain.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I thought it was good not great. I think the cast was excellent and I really enjoyed the villain but it was a bit safe plot wise and I thought some of the CGI in the fight scenes was underwhelming.

Caporegime
and after lots of historical slavery/racism/abuse if a black teenager wants to make a gag about colonisation, so be it. You’ll only here privilidged white males complain.

Exactly

I thought it was good not great. I think the cast was excellent and I really enjoyed the villain but it was a bit safe plot wise and I thought some of the CGI in the fight scenes was underwhelming.

A fair assessment of the movie, I agree.

Soldato
Had high expectations but thought it was average, even boring in parts, I'd say about 6/10. Nowhere near the best marvel film to date as I was hearing, massive hype job imo.

Soldato
Watched this morning and I came out feeling 'meh' nothing really blew me away, the comedy wasn't as strong as other Marvel films and apart from Martin Freeman this didn't really tie into any of the other films, I think we've had this too late and it shouldn't have been the last film before Infinity War.

Soldato
Film was kind of meh, had some good characters and decent jokes. Not really fond of the couple of racist bits in it though and playing up to the oppressed narrative that is shovelled down our throats nowadays. And to the the rampant lefties up above, no you don't fight racism by being racist.

Back
Top Bottom