*** The Official Bloodborne Thread ***

Soldato
Well after 2 years or so (and finding the cd I launched across the room in a rage moment), I have re-installed this and going to give it another bash, hopefully I can beat my 2 year younger self - I am feeling reinvigorated, I think...

I'm going in!

Soldato
Amid being locked down to our homes here in San Francisco. I've dusted off the PS4 to catch up on some titles (mainly a PC gamer, hence the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro have gathered dust). And as such, being a huge souls games fan, I've dived into Bloodborne. I ventured around, turned around from some 'un-returnable' areas such as rafters and some form of sewer entrance but unlocked all the shortcuts I could see and accidentally triggered Cleric beast. 1st tried it which I imagine is similar to the Taurus demon of DS1 so probably a 'intro' boss.

Either way, I'm hooked, why have I never delved into this sooner? The world is amazing and creepy. Any beginner tips from you guys?

I'd also like to know more about parrying, I did it a couple of times on the bigger guys but is it a guessing game or is there a particular set of moves/stagger to do this?

Soldato
Amid being locked down to our homes here in San Francisco. I've dusted off the PS4 to catch up on some titles (mainly a PC gamer, hence the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro have gathered dust). And as such, being a huge souls games fan, I've dived into Bloodborne. I ventured around, turned around from some 'un-returnable' areas such as rafters and some form of sewer entrance but unlocked all the shortcuts I could see and accidentally triggered Cleric beast. 1st tried it which I imagine is similar to the Taurus demon of DS1 so probably a 'intro' boss.

Either way, I'm hooked, why have I never delved into this sooner? The world is amazing and creepy. Any beginner tips from you guys?

I'd also like to know more about parrying, I did it a couple of times on the bigger guys but is it a guessing game or is there a particular set of moves/stagger to do this?
Parrying is much like Dark Souls, shoot when they mid attack and they'll go down for a riposte (visceral in BB). The parry window is typically bigger but the quicker attacks and generally less windup balance it out. It's a case of getting a feel for it so just give it a go! Check the wiki pages if you're not sure if a certain enemy isn't parry-able. Some enemies like large beast bosses will have invisible stagger meters for each of their limbs, so if you do enough damage in a certain amount of time to their back right leg for example it'll go down and you can perform a visceral.

I'd recommend exploring the story chalice dungeons as you progress as you can nab some great blood gems much earlier than you otherwise would that increase your damaged quite a bit. Don't get hung up if you get stuck in them though, they're not supposed to be done all in one go.

Don't worry about upgrading your firearm too much, always max out your main weapon as much as you can.

Transformation attacks are really great for staggering enemies and do more damage than regular attacks. R1-L1-L1-R1 is a pretty good combo for weapons like the Saw Cleaver and Saw Spear.

If you go for a strength build you're better off using a charged R2 attack or getting a regular combo in when you parry an enemy as the visceral damage scales with the skill stat.

And the main one, be aggressive. This game rewards aggressiveness so don't play it like a turtle in Dark Souls.

Last edited:
Associate
Like Moothead2, parry and visceral is king in Bloodborne and a lot more effective in PvE compared to Dark Souls in my opinion.
Armor set wise you can practically use any you want but some will have slightly higher defense against poison etc.
Weapon wise Saw Cleaver is practically one of the best weapons to use, all weapons are scaled base so if you're building your char to use a certain weapon you will want to upgrade your stats based on the weapon scaling.
Bolt papers are really handy to use in tight pinch against bosses.

Soldato
Parrying is much like Dark Souls, shoot when they mid attack and they'll go down for a riposte (visceral in BB). The parry window is typically bigger but the quicker attacks and generally less windup balance it out. It's a case of getting a feel for it so just give it a go! Check the wiki pages if you're not sure if a certain enemy isn't parry-able. Some enemies like large beast bosses will have invisible stagger meters for each of their limbs, so if you do enough damage in a certain amount of time to their back right leg for example it'll go down and you can perform a visceral.

I'd recommend exploring the story chalice dungeons as you progress as you can nab some great blood gems much earlier than you otherwise would that increase your damaged quite a bit. Don't get hung up if you get stuck in them though, they're not supposed to be done all in one go.

Don't worry about upgrading your firearm too much, always max out your main weapon as much as you can.

Transformation attacks are really great for staggering enemies and do more damage than regular attacks. R1-L1-L1-R1 is a pretty good combo for weapons like the Saw Cleaver and Saw Spear.

If you go for a strength build you're better off using a charged R2 attack or getting a regular combo in when you parry an enemy as the visceral damage scales with the skill stat.

And the main one, be aggressive. This game rewards aggressiveness so don't play it like a turtle in Dark Souls.

Like Moothead2, parry and visceral is king in Bloodborne and a lot more effective in PvE compared to Dark Souls in my opinion.
Armor set wise you can practically use any you want but some will have slightly higher defense against poison etc.
Weapon wise Saw Cleaver is practically one of the best weapons to use, all weapons are scaled base so if you're building your char to use a certain weapon you will want to upgrade your stats based on the weapon scaling.
Bolt papers are really handy to use in tight pinch against bosses.

Thank you guys! Some great information, through a little exploration I've unlocked a bunch of shortcuts and I'm facing Father Gascoine right now. I died to him 3 times yesterday, I got 1 hit away from downing him but got greedy haha. Now I'm out of blood vials, so I'm going to spend this evening just exploring around and farming up before I tackle him again.

Good news on the parrying and a great note on being aggressive. As for build, I'm going strength build, no idea what weapon sets are in this game. I'm forcing my self to go in blind as much as I can to really enjoy the exploration of my first playthrough. I just saw it scaling well with the saw clever.

Associate
Thank you guys! Some great information, through a little exploration I've unlocked a bunch of shortcuts and I'm facing Father Gascoine right now. I died to him 3 times yesterday, I got 1 hit away from downing him but got greedy haha. Now I'm out of blood vials, so I'm going to spend this evening just exploring around and farming up before I tackle him again.

Good news on the parrying and a great note on being aggressive. As for build, I'm going strength build, no idea what weapon sets are in this game. I'm forcing my self to go in blind as much as I can to really enjoy the exploration of my first playthrough. I just saw it scaling well with the saw clever.
There is a sub-quest you can do which gets you a music box that can temporarily stun gascoine but its not entirely necessary, just aggro him and dodge and visceral when you can and you'll be fine.
Weapon wise for strength build the saw cleaver is fine, if you want experiment you can try the kirkhammer which has decent scaling for strength.

Soldato
There is a sub-quest you can do which gets you a music box that can temporarily stun gascoine but its not entirely necessary, just aggro him and dodge and visceral when you can and you'll be fine.
Weapon wise for strength build the saw cleaver is fine, if you want experiment you can try the kirkhammer which has decent scaling for strength.

Aye, his moveset is a bit aggressive but he's not too tough, I was just learning his attack patterns. Fun boss!

Having my DS knowledge, I've been able to explore all nooks and crannies such as the huge hall on all levels to cut down loot bodies that were hanging up in the rafters, spoke to the female hunter NPC. BUT! I did fall for the oldest trick in the book, in the waterway at the base of the Yharnam, a glowing pickup surrounding by bodies, nabbed it and they all came to life haha. Also managed to get behind the pig thing and down it in 2 hits.

So far, absolutely loving it. I just need to dedicate some time to farming bullets and vials tonight whilst exploring.

Soldato
Aye, his moveset is a bit aggressive but he's not too tough, I was just learning his attack patterns. Fun boss!

Having my DS knowledge, I've been able to explore all nooks and crannies such as the huge hall on all levels to cut down loot bodies that were hanging up in the rafters, spoke to the female hunter NPC. BUT! I did fall for the oldest trick in the book, in the waterway at the base of the Yharnam, a glowing pickup surrounding by bodies, nabbed it and they all came to life haha. Also managed to get behind the pig thing and down it in 2 hits.

So far, absolutely loving it. I just need to dedicate some time to farming bullets and vials tonight whilst exploring.
For farming vials the best place is the bridge with the wolves where Cleric Beast was. The factbthat vials are limited is one of my least favourite things about the game, especially on my first playthrough.

Soldato
For farming vials the best place is the bridge with the wolves where Cleric Beast was. The factbthat vials are limited is one of my least favourite things about the game, especially on my first playthrough.

It's slightly annoying, but at the same time, forces me to farm and get some time in honing combat skills. But yea, good shout regarding the vial farming.

Soldato
Fired this up last night for another run through after completing Demon's Souls on the PS5.

Actually runs worse on the PS5 than it did on my PS4 Pro. I don't want to spoil the memory of this game so it's now deleted unless they patch it. :(

fez

fez

Caporegime
Fired this up last night for another run through after completing Demon's Souls on the PS5.

Actually runs worse on the PS5 than it did on my PS4 Pro. I don't want to spoil the memory of this game so it's now deleted unless they patch it. :(

I would genuinely consider buying a PS5 if they did a bloodborne remaster of the same quality as the Demons Souls one. One of my favourite games ever and I would love to see it in 4K 60FPS.

Associate
Well my first hour of playing this. Like I suggested in another thread never played a game like this before.

I knew it would be hard so that's no surprise but god does it run horribly.

If it was to run at 60fps. I'm sure the game would be loads better of an experience.

Why was it made so poorly ie its performance.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Did it run that bad on the ps4 then? How was it made so poorly lol.

You honestly just get used to it and its such a good game that its worth the occasional hiccup. I wish it was 60fps. Its a real shame they haven't patched it. Kind of assuming they aren't going to.

Also, where is Bloodborne 2!

Soldato
You honestly just get used to it and its such a good game that its worth the occasional hiccup. I wish it was 60fps. Its a real shame they haven't patched it. Kind of assuming they aren't going to.

Also, where is Bloodborne 2!

I think we'll get a remaster of 1 before we ever see 2.

Back
Top Bottom