The official canon 5d mk4 thread

Soldato
OP
Why on earth are people moaning about the card slots?

Why do you want cfast? normal compact flash are fast and cheap at the moment,the sd slot is uhs as well.

Yes in the future cfast will come down, but not having to change to cfast is a massive plus in my eyes.

We dont know how fast the buffer clears yet, it may not need anything faster.

Future proof mate.

This camera will be here for 4+ years....

i rather they go dual cf card in all honesty and remove sd completely as that cripples the CF card speed/buffer!

Also this is a bit of a downer

Code:
http://www.canon.co.uk/cameras/eos-5d-mark-iv/specifications/

"Spot metering: Center spot metering (approx. 1.3% viewfinder at centre)

AF point-linked spot metering not provided"

ffs canon why!

Soldato
Future proof mate.

This camera will be here for 4+ years....

i rather they go dual cf card in all honesty and remove sd completely as that cripples the CF card speed/buffer!

Also this is a bit of a downer

Code:
http://www.canon.co.uk/cameras/eos-5d-mark-iv/specifications/

"Spot metering: Center spot metering (approx. 1.3% viewfinder at centre)

AF point-linked spot metering not provided"

ffs canon why!

Future proof? for what? what does that mean?

Nobody knows the write speed of the buffer yet, normal cf may be fine, also the sd card slot is uhs now, canon did the maths, and cfast wasnt needed.

smr

smr

Soldato
stupid price, much better off spending another grand and getting the 1dmk2... a lot better camera for not that much more money - when you figure that you're spending the best part of £4,000 anyway. I think the sales for this Camera will be pitiful.

Soldato
stupid price, much better off spending another grand and getting the 1dmk2... a lot better camera for not that much more money - when you figure that you're spending the best part of £4,000 anyway. I think the sales for this Camera will be pitiful.

I think you may be suprised at how flakey some people are. The lure to have a IV on your camera instead of a III will be strong.

Soldato
Its to protect the Cxxx professional range and anything in the Canon Cinema EOS eco-system.

For video there much cheaper and better alternatives.

Don't get why Canon wants to protect Cinema EOS by limiting 4k. It's not like gimping 4k video will protect Cinema EOS from the likes of the A7sii etc.

I'm not a video guy, but is there a reason why someone would opt for the 5d4 over an A7sii for video?

Associate
A poor show Canon.

- A lack of a decent card storage : no Cfast slot and a slow SD Card slot (UHS1 not 2)
- A 1.64x crop factor on 4k video !!!!

In a world where quality photography and video is becoming more accessible to everyone this appears to be missing the mark on price and specs.

Meh, the crop isn't really an issue considering it's about the same size as Super35.

What is an issue is the codec and lack of C-Log. But we all know that Canon are fiercely protective of their cine line.

Other than that, looks to be a nice upgrade. £3.6k is eyewatering for a camera like that though, was expecting it to be around 3k like the D810.

Soldato
OMG when I saw the advert this morning I misread the price, it was with a trade in at £2xxx and then I didn't think it was worth the upgrade from the Mk III but at £3600 they are having a laugh.

Associate
The Canon 5D Mark III has a MSRP of £2999 body only.

At the moment the cheapest non-grey import is selling at £2249 according to Camera price buster.

If I recall correctly I paid £2500 for mine a nearly a year after release.

Factor in 4 years worth of inflation/effects of recent exchange rate fluctuations, new sensor, 4K video then a MSRP of £3600 for the Mark IV is about what it should be really.

You're never going to pay a MSRP unless you absolutely must have the latest kit the day after release. Most people will wait for a while to see the price drop, which inevitably happens. Probably in a year it will sit a penny under £3000 and with cashbacks (the Mark III had a £250 cashback) it might hit a little more reasonable £2750.

Then of course in 12 months time we're going to be in the throes of EU exit negotiations, so heaven knows where the exchange rate will be then!

It sits in an interesting price bracket. The Canon 5DS/R look quite a bargain in comparison.

Last edited:

And

And

Associate
Well said, a kneejerk-free reaction.

I think to an extent we're getting stiffed by the fall in the pound - you add 15% to the 5DMKIII MSRP and you're getting up towards £3,500.

Wex has added just under 10% in the last week or two to the price of a lens I was after. I suspect well see more price hikes on tech gear.

Another reason to *golf clap* those who in their wisdom thought that Brexit was a good thing.

The Canon 5D Mark III has a MSRP of £2999 body only.

At the moment the cheapest non-grey import is selling at £2249 according to Camera price buster.

If I recall correctly I paid £2500 for mine a nearly a year after release.

Factor in 4 years worth of inflation/effects of recent exchange rate fluctuations, new sensor, 4K video then a MSRP of £3600 for the Mark IV is about what it should be really.

You're never going to pay a MSRP unless you absolutely must have the latest kit the day after release. Most people will wait for a while to see the price drop, which inevitably happens. Probably in a year it will sit a penny under £3000 and with cashbacks (the Mark III had a £250 cashback) it might hit a little more reasonable £2750.

Then of course in 12 months time we're going to be in the throes of EU exit negotiations, so heaven knows where the exchange rate will be then!

It sits in an interesting price bracket. The Canon 5DS/R look quite a bargain in comparison.

Back
Top Bottom