The official canon 5d mk4 thread

Soldato
Factor in 4 years worth of inflation/effects of recent exchange rate fluctuations, new sensor, 4K video then a MSRP of £3600 for the Mark IV is about what it should be really.

It's a £1000 more than I paid for the D800/D810 on release. Forget about the new sensor, 4K etc that has nothing to do with it, technology moves on and they need to offer better at the same price bracket otherwise where would it end.

The exchange rates are the only thing that may have a factor but USD 3500 = GBP 2654 today not USD 3500 = GBP 3600!

Very poor upgrade by Canon and even worse pricing.

Caporegime
The lenses or lack of them though, and the EF lens adapters (metabones and the like) are just not reliably accurate or fast enough.

I hate being "gimped" on specs. Hate the old SD/CF cards. I struggle with that now! It is one of my pet peeves on the camera. You'd think with Dual Pixel Raw they would want to keep up with the write speed with faster cards! Surely that will show up its short comings in testing and field tests. It is a serious oversight IMO.

Will see how the sensor performs but early reports saying it is only 1 stop better than the old one? What are Canon playing at, they have almost 3 years to catch up to the D750 now and that gap isn't even getting close.

I've seen some reviews on the adaptors, they can be really good....at least I can use them for personal stuff.

Last edited:
Associate
It's a £1000 more than I paid for the D800/D810 on release. Forget about the new sensor, 4K etc that has nothing to do with it, technology moves on and they need to offer better at the same price bracket otherwise where would it end.

The exchange rates are the only thing that may have a factor but USD 3500 = GBP 2654 today not USD 3500 = GBP 3600!

Very poor upgrade by Canon and even worse pricing.

Don't get me wrong, I would love it to be £1000 cheaper, but unfortunately it isn't going to happen. Economics have a massive play in pricing. The cost of the new sensor and introduction of 4k into a XD series camera will have to be recouped - ok 4K isn't new technology, but the electronics inside to do that aren't free. The consumer pays - if they don't like it go elsewhere.

Canon know their market and quite clearly will have worked out what they can get away with. Offering better at the same price bracket? Well they'll probably do that with the 6D Mark II, which will probably end up sitting around the £2500 MSRP mark. by the time market forces come into play

Canon aren't going to cannibalise their high end Cinema or 1 series camera and I suspect they've added about all they will do to the 5 Series - other than small tweaks to future models such as faster card slots, a few FPS extra, perhaps a bigger sensor with slightly better DR they're probably hitting a ceiling that they're not willing to breach.

As for exchange rate being virtually $1=£1? Nothing new there, we've always been screwed like that here in the UK.

Last edited:
Soldato
I hate being "gimped" on specs. Hate the old SD/CF cards. I struggle with that now! It is one of my pet peeves on the camera. You'd think with Dual Pixel Raw they would want to keep up with the write speed with faster cards! Surely that will show up its short comings in testing and field tests. It is a serious oversight IMO.

Will see how the sensor performs but early reports saying it is only 1 stop better than the old one? What are Canon playing at, they have almost 3 years to catch up to the D750 now and that gap isn't even getting close.

I've seen some reviews on the adaptors, they can be really good....at least I can use them for personal stuff.

I know what you mean. Even before the detailed reviews are out, it's hard to not feel disappointed and let down at this early stage of announcement. Been saying this for ages, I do worry about Canon and their R&D. Just hope those detailed reviews pull something magical out the hat, for their sake as well as mine. Times like this I hate being this heavily invested in lenses. It's a lot harder to turn away.

If your not wanting to shoot action/sports, you may be able to live with the adapters.

Soldato
Don't get me wrong, I would love it to be £1000 cheaper, but unfortunately it isn't going to happen. Economics have a massive play in pricing. The cost of the new sensor and introduction of 4k into a XD series camera will have to be recouped - ok 4K isn't new technology, but the electronics inside to do that aren't free. The consumer pays - if they don't like it go elsewhere.

Canon know their market and quite clearly will have worked out what they can get away with. Offering better at the same price bracket? Well they'll probably do that with the 6D Mark II, which will probably end up sitting around the £2500 MSRP mark. by the time market forces come into play

Canon aren't going to cannibalise their high end Cinema or 1 series camera and I suspect they've added about all they will do to the 5 Series - other than small tweaks to future models such as faster card slots, a few FPS extra, perhaps a bigger sensor with slightly better DR they're probably hitting a ceiling that they're not willing to breach.

As for exchange rate being virtually $1=£1? Nothing new there, we've always been screwed like that here in the UK.

Personally I hope Sony gives them a good kicking. They have upped the price massively more than what's justifiable, and then had the cheek to gimp the camera. Who wants to spend that kind of money on a gimped camera?
I don't think it's even relevant for 4k video considering the massive crop factor. Might as well use a cheap APSC 4k camera (x-t2 etc), or something like an A7sii.
For stills perhaps it's a good camera. But if the raw files are that much bigger, then those slow card slot's are inexcusable. All Canon needed was to put 2x SD UHS II slot's in there. A couple of 2000x SD cards would have been plenty fast enough.

Soldato
OP
camera of the year?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be1QMq72KNs

umm

anyways yes sony have a chance to trump nikon and canon.

All they need to do is improve its speed(buffer, startup time, AF tracking speed), battery life and its robustness and we have a winner.

In terms of price. expect the new Sony cameras to be in the same price range as this, except when looking at there spec sheet, most will think the price is justified.

Sony seem to be innovating with each new camera they release and at a fast pace.

The A7r2 is almost there! IT needs faster card slots and i am 100% certain the mk3 will fix this unlike canon who you know they will gimp it which they seem to have done

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry but Sony are pretty much covered from 18mm to 200mm with primes, zooms etc of variation of appatures and price point.

The only lenses lacking are stuff over 200mm.

I'm not happy with what they offer there, their decent range of lenses are far too expensive.

Edit:

Am actually also watching this right now, in kinda disbelief.. Granger usually speaks some sense.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Tell that to Nvidia, they've been sneaking each performance point up a price bracket the last few years.

Caporegime
The cost isn't that huge an issue if the spec are up to scratch. I am not after super tech that never seen before. I am just after tech that has been out a couple of years...

Fast read and write cards. Good DR.

That's it!

The Dual pixel thing is good but 7 photos in the buffer? That is 1 second of burst, which is useless if I am trying to track a B&G walking down the aisle. I'd want at least 30seconds before it's filled.

Soldato
OP
That and dual cards slots.

The 5D3 can fight on for another summer.

what is focus stick?

I'm not happy with what they offer there, their decent range of lenses are far too expensive.

Edit:

Am actually also watching this right now, in kinda disbelief.. Granger usually speaks some sense.

The canon equivalents retailed and launched at that price point too.

Have you seen the price of the new 16-35 f2.9 mk3 lens?£ 2349

The 24-105 is also quit expensive at £1129

Caporegime
what is focus stick?

at the back, right of the screen, above the dial is a little joystick. You can use it the navigate and move focus points.

I tend to press it down when I haven't use the camera for a few minutes, it resets it to the centre point. Then without looking at the camera I know the focus point is dead centre. And, without looking still, I can now roll the dials left or right a few clicks by feel and I know it is now at a focus point.

So all without looking, I know where I can focus, then when I raise the camera on my face, the photo is already framed before it is framed so to speak.

It saves me having to correct focus points, I know where i am before the camera is up at my eye.

Associate
The cost isn't that huge an issue if the spec are up to scratch. I am not after super tech that never seen before. I am just after tech that has been out a couple of years...

Fast read and write cards. Good DR.

That's it!

The Dual pixel thing is good but 7 photos in the buffer? That is 1 second of burst, which is useless if I am trying to track a B&G walking down the aisle. I'd want at least 30seconds before it's filled.

I really cannot understand why there is a need for such high burst speeds in Wedding Photography? Why do you need 30 or 40 almost identical stills of the Bride and Groom walking down the Aisle towards you? Sure one of them might be good, but is seems like a spray and pray approach. Might as well get a 4K video camera and pull stills out of the footage?

Associate
I really cannot understand why there is a need for such high burst speeds in Wedding Photography? Why do you need 30 or 40 almost identical stills of the Bride and Groom walking down the Aisle towards you? Might as well get a 4K video camera and pull stills out of the footage?

I take it you're not paid to take photos for a living?

Back
Top Bottom