The official canon 5d mk4 thread

Soldato
Been watching for months and it is surprising how much of a tight lid they've managed to keep on the details, the specs were only really confirmed last week.

I want one, but as mentioned it's going to come at a cost. Selling off my 5D3 and 24-105L will offset the cost a little, but not as much as it would have done before Brexit.

Before the urge to jump straight in kicks in, the sensible side of me saying to wait until we get some real in depth reviews pick it apart (DR improvements?!)

GPS, WiFi and touchscreen make for good upgrades, the automatic micro adjustment and the bump in MP are even better. I wonder will you be able to meter from a specific AF point?

The 24-105 upgrade also is exciting, it's a great range, especially so for travel. My MK1 stays at home though as the corner sharpness is very poor. If Canon have sorted this on the MK2, they will be on to a winner.

No pressure, Canon. :p

Soldato
^^^
If they don't implement AF point metering on anything other than the centre point, I will be shocked.

What I hear about the re-focus in post thing sounds revolutionary. A seriously useful feature to have. I imagine though it won't be implemented in LR for a while. But still, a pretty amazing feature. Hope this encourages others to do something similar. I read Sony has a similar patent.

Associate
That is indeed an eye watering price for what sounds like a fairly underwhelming camera. I doubt the new Nikon D850 (or whatever they end up calling it) will be as much and I expect that to be a better camera too.

Associate
WEX

Canon EF 16-35mm f2.8L III USM Lens £2400
Canon EF 24-105mm f4L IS II USM Lens £1130
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Digital SLR Camera Body £3600

The battery grip is a mere £330

Associate
Canon 5D Mark IV Key Specifications

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-5d-mark-iv-first-impressions-review

• New 30.4MP CMOS full-frame sensor with Dual Pixel AF
  • DCI 4K 30/24p video using Motion JPEG + 4K Frame Grab
  • 61-point AF system with 41 cross-type sensors (center point sensitive to -3 EV)
  • Dual Pixel AF (sensitive to -4EV) for continuous Servo AF in stills (first for a full-frame Canon camera) and video
  • ISO 100-32000 (expandable to 102400)
  • 7 fps continuous shooting
  • Dual Pixel Raw (image microadjustment, bokeh shift, ghosting reduction)
  • 150,000-pixel RGB+IR metering sensor
  • 1.62M-dot 3.2" full-time touchscreen
  • Wi-Fi w/ NFC + GPS
  • Built-in bulb timer interval timers
  • Improved weather-sealing

Good for still, for 4k you might want to looks at alternatives.

Soldato
A poor show Canon.

- A lack of a decent card storage : no Cfast slot and a slow SD Card slot (UHS1 not 2)
- A 1.64x crop factor on 4k video !!!!

In a world where quality photography and video is becoming more accessible to everyone this appears to be missing the mark on price and specs.

Last edited:
Soldato
A poor show Canon.

- A lack of a decent card storage : no Cfast slot and a slow SD Card slot (UHS1 not 2)
- A 1.64x crop factor on 4k video !!!!

In a world where quality photography and video is becoming more accessible to everyone this appears to be missing the mark on price and specs.

In addition it looks like its been intentionally gimped to only cature Motion JPEG video, presumably to protect some of their other products.

Not seeing anything here thats going to want to make a 5DIII user jump quickly and £330 for a battery grip is just plain funny.

Associate
In addition it looks like its been intentionally gimped to only cature Motion JPEG video, presumably to protect some of their other products.

Not seeing anything here thats going to want to make a 5DIII user jump quickly and £330 for a battery grip is just plain funny.

Its to protect the Cxxx professional range and anything in the Canon Cinema EOS eco-system.

For video there much cheaper and better alternatives.

Soldato
Why on earth are people moaning about the card slots?

Why do you want cfast? normal compact flash are fast and cheap at the moment,the sd slot is uhs as well.

Yes in the future cfast will come down, but not having to change to cfast is a massive plus in my eyes.

We dont know how fast the buffer clears yet, it may not need anything faster.

Back
Top Bottom