***The Official Dying Light 2 thread***

Man of Honour
So many pre-purchasers have been bitten by games before, why do people still pre-purchase?

I guess for some its because you could get it for £25 instead of £40. For some they prepurchase because of past titles in a series, for example, I had no qualms about prepurchasing Total Warhammer 3 given the 1000+ hours I put into Total Warhammer 1/2. For others its because why not, if the particular game ends up being duff, they just refund it or write it off. I can still see many reasons why people preorder. I'm a combination of all the above reasons

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Sooo I have a 43 minute video uploading currently straight off GFE capture from the church scene onwards. I realised that the game streams itself as you play because from install and run right away the GFX settings were not allowing me to select any RT values for advanced settings like reflections etc only go as far as "HIGH" or "VERY HIGH". It was only about 60 minutes into the game I rechecked and suddenly the RT Ultra values were available so it must have been streaming files during gameplay as I recall a download logo appearing at the start when I was playing.

Anyway, once RT was available I whacked everything to Ultra, DLSS set to quality and wow it actually runs really well. Averaging 70+ fps, the church scene was around 60fps basically wherever there is heavy vegetation/grass etc the frames will drop if using higher RT shadows and stuff but it's around 60fps on a 3080 Ti and 12700KF so basically you can whack everything to max and not worry at all.

Noticed zero frame drops or stutters, everything is super smooth, playing at 3440x1440. GPU usage was 97-100% throughout whilst CPU usage was around 20-25%

The graphics indoors I haven't played enough et to observe but generally look alright, nothing ground breaking, it's outdoors or where lighting plays a role that things look really cool. I've seen more detailed textures in other games, but this makes up for it with the RTX features, RTGI on its own makes a rather huge difference as shown by DF in their video. I'd say if you are unable to enable RT in this game then pick the game up maybe when you have a new GPU.

I will say this, smooth gameplay with everything on max the ambience and immersion (especially on ultra wide) is immense. There are sounds of rustling and world noise that make you look. Feels like DL1 again but extra. Movement feels a bit more refined than the first game too and combat seems simpler but with a few new attacks that I've unlocked already.

Verdict so far after 100 minutes? It's actually pretty decent. I mostly skip the cutscenes and stuff as have little patience for those drawn out dialogues, just mash about the objectives and explore the world :p

Last edited:
Associate
From the developer - "Hey! We're currently investigating the issue with Dying Light 2 crashing on some PCs, to help us out, please try launching the game with /nolightfx parameter and let me know if it works, this will help us out a lot! To do so click the right mouse button on Dying Light 2 -> Properties and add /nolightfx in the launch options"

Man of Honour
From the developer - "Hey! We're currently investigating the issue with Dying Light 2 crashing on some PCs, to help us out, please try launching the game with /nolightfx parameter and let me know if it works, this will help us out a lot! To do so click the right mouse button on Dying Light 2 -> Properties and add /nolightfx in the launch options"

PC Game dev definitely isnt a job I would want to do, it must be an absolute nightmare. You can have 100 PC gamers and they will have 100 different combinations of hardware, 100 different sets of software on their PCs, 100 different sets of drivers. Its a wonder really that a PC game ever works ! :D

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
RTX on vs off:
RTX-off.jpg

RTX on:
RTX-on.jpg

RTX off:
RTX-off_2.jpg

RTX on:
RTX-on_2.jpg

RTX off:
RTX-on_3.jpg

RTX on:
RTX-off_3.jpg

RTX off:
RTX-off_4.jpg

RTX on:
RTX-on_4.jpg

Caporegime
RTX on vs off:
RTX-off.jpg

RTX on:
RTX-on.jpg

RTX off:
RTX-off_2.jpg

RTX on:
RTX-on_2.jpg

RTX off:
RTX-on_3.jpg

RTX on:
RTX-off_3.jpg

RTX off:
RTX-off_4.jpg

RTX on:
RTX-on_4.jpg

All those screenshots look good. :)

RT on looks better in a couple of them, a couple look similar with it on or off, seems to depend on the scene and location.

What is clear though is that they made zero effort to make non RT look good but it is a small developer so not a big surprise.

Quite optimistic looking at your performance with RT off that I can hit 100FPS now at 4K max settings with RT off.

If the Gameplay is good I will enjoy this game without RT and high FPS.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
X-Rays yes, lots :p

I'm finding it more like the first game, which is fine. Not sure yet whether the AI is the same though or not, need to play more than just 3 hours.

Soldato
I stopped watching when he said it was a 'consoley' game. STFU WaB, as much as I love his work he needs to move on with the times. This has nothing to do with consoles so don't pin stuff on them. I assume he went off on one about X-Rays and pathing tooltips to assist the gamer.

Decided to buy the game before watching his review as I almost missed Far Cry 6 for the same reason. So far I've liked both FC6 & DL2.

I watch the odd vid but I guess the ranting is his niche.

Caporegime
Fired it up this morning for a quick look and very impressed, as per usual, videos, screenshots etc. don't do it justice. There is a sharpness setting in game so will need to mess with it (@mrk what sharpness setting have you got set?), just some random screenshots showing fps figures (everything max @ 3440x1440 with dlss quality), foliage areas will be the biggest hit as per usual:

AV6LnB9.jpg

tMdPWZY.jpg

Really liked the below area for RT showcase, can't tell in the pic obviously what the conditions are but you have the dense forest right behind you with the sun just shining right through a gap in the trees on to the car here hence why it has that diffused look all round but a bright focus of light on the car which then bounces of.

HKJmSmP.jpg

PTcYZjA.jpg

5Nr0xn4.jpg

Z3jIIN6.jpg

Soldato
Decided to buy the game before watching his review as I almost missed Far Cry 6 for the same reason. So far I've liked both FC6 & DL2.

I watch the odd vid but I guess the ranting is his niche.

I used to watch his stuff but totally ignore him now. He's still living in some sort of nostalgia bubble where everygame is worse than WoW or Mafia.

I've also noticed that a few reviewers seems to be refusing to score it based upon co-op missing, not sure if its just me but with 100+ hours in DL1 I didnt engage in co-op even a single time so that fact its missing is just not a thing for me, I couldnt give a rats backside....is co-op really such a big deal for what is clearly positioned as a single player game?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Fired it up this morning for a quick look and very impressed, as per usual, videos, screenshots etc. don't do it justice. There is a sharpness setting in game so will need to mess with it (@mrk what sharpness setting have you got set?), just some random screenshots showing fps figures (everything max @ 3440x1440 with dlss quality), foliage areas will be the biggest hit as per usual:

AV6LnB9.jpg

tMdPWZY.jpg

Really liked the below area for RT showcase, can't tell in the pic obviously what the conditions are but you have the dense forest right behind you with the sun just shining right through a gap in the trees on to the car here hence why it has that diffused look all round but a bright focus of light on the car which then bounces of.

HKJmSmP.jpg

PTcYZjA.jpg

5Nr0xn4.jpg

Z3jIIN6.jpg

Ah I've left the sharpness on default which I think is 45, all other gfx settings are on whatever the highest they will go, so Ultra Ray Tracing where applicable and motion blur set to low as you cannot turn it off it seems.

What is your CPU and GPU there btw? Your frames look reasonable although I seem to be pulling 15-20fps more on average but that may be down to CPU differences as I'm sure I recall you had a 3080 Ti?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Right so sat down with my coffee. Just tried a few settings.

4K, no upscaler, direct x 11, everything highest but no RT, motion blur and film grain off I get between 41 and 52 fps.

Same as above, but DLSS on Quality it stays locked at my cap which is 57fps and looking at GPU use it goes down into the 70 percent range so plenty of room there to add more effects or for scenes that require more grunt.

As above but now with Sun Shadows Quality set to RT Soft Shadow I get 45-57fps.

As above but changing DLSS to Balanced now I get 52-57fps. Mostly 57fps now though, just small dips here and there to 55 and I saw one at 52.

As above, but now DLSS set to Performance (basically now upscaling from 1080p to 4K) and now introduced Ultra Quality RT for Global Illumination. Getting 42-57fps.

As above but now adding RT Reflections Ultra Quality I am seeing 40-55fps.

As above but adding RT Ambient Occlusion Ultra Quality and not seeing much difference to fps.

Not bothered with RT flashlight as obviously only at the start of the game so not nighttime yet.

Obviously the above fps numbers just represent day time at the exact start of the game and will vary in other scenes.

Going to now mess about further and then play a bit to see what setting I finally settle down on :D

Back
Top Bottom