***The Official Dying Light 2 thread***

Associate
There is no added zoom, the only difference could be FOV difference between the two images, since I am snipping roughly the same area.

Nonetheless, here they are side by side.
Imgsli

Here's the two images that made the side by side above.

TNA
Nn75jbS.png

Shankly
MilFeIt.png

Do you want me to record a video to show I am just snipping the default image you provided?
It's interesting to see that while TNAs has less jagged edges and Shanklys looks nice and smooth, TNAs to me looks less flat, though that might just be a case of the shadowing and the light conditions.

On a slightly different topic, you've all made me fancy playing DL (since I don't own #2). Fired it up and was horrified to see not only a full page Buy DL2/Play DL option once the game launched (can be skipped with launch commands), but then once you get to the main menu you then get a pop up telling you about DL2 which you have to dismiss, followed by a Buy DL2 on the main menu too. SMH.
Do you fine people playing DL2 get a screen on launch to Play DL2/Play DL1?

Caporegime
It's interesting to see that while TNAs has less jagged edges and Shanklys looks nice and smooth, TNAs to me looks less flat, though that might just be a case of the shadowing and the light conditions.

On a slightly different topic, you've all made me fancy playing DL (since I don't own #2). Fired it up and was horrified to see not only a full page Buy DL2/Play DL option once the game launched (can be skipped with launch commands), but then once you get to the main menu you then get a pop up telling you about DL2 which you have to dismiss, followed by a Buy DL2 on the main menu too. SMH.
Do you fine people playing DL2 get a screen on launch to Play DL2/Play DL1?
Yes I noticed that when I fired up Dying Light 1. It's annoying, it pops up every time you load the game.

A video following the instructions I provided earlier, 4K Quality should be added soon.

@TNA - Watch the whole video. If you still believe I am zooming in on your image and not Shankly's, there's literally nothing more I can do so I will admit defeat to save the thread. :cry:

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
enchantedwilow.gif

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yes I noticed that when I fired up Dying Light 1. It's annoying, it pops up every time you load the game.

A video following the instructions I provided earlier, 4K Quality should be added soon.

@TNA - Watch the whole video. If you still believe I am zooming in on your image and not Shankly's, there's literally nothing more I can do so I will admit defeat to save the thread. :cry:
Ok, watched the whole video. That all looked legit to be fair. But that still does not explain why your first upload was 1077x735 pixels does it? In the video it was 548x418 which is around half that. That is the whole reason I said you zoomed in no?

I have got to the same place in the game and taken some more pictures. This time it will be a fair apples for apple comparison. Coming up in my next post :D

Caporegime
Ok, watched the whole video. That all looked legit to be fair. But that still does not explain why your first upload was 1077x735 pixels does it? In the video it was 548x418 which is around half that. That is the whole reason I said you zoomed in no?

I have got to the same place in the game and taken some more pictures. This time it will be a fair apples for apple comparison. Coming up in my next post :D
I told you I am not a politician. :cry:

I used snip it the first time instead of paint, but did the same with Shanks image so they should stil be broadly similar but obviously not identical. Snip it is not a precise tool. No underhand shenanigans though, i swear I don't care that much.

It's really not a big deal but you did ask me for an example. Anyway, let's move on we've taken up enough pages over this. :p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I told you I am not a politician. :cry:

I used snip it the first time instead of paint, but did the same with Shanks image so they should stil be broadly similar but obviously not identical. Snip it is not a precise tool. No underhand shenanigans though, i swear I don't care that much.

It's really not a big deal but you did ask me for an example. Anyway, let's move on we've taken up enough pages over this. :p
Fair enough. What you did in the video seems legit and I think had you done the same process from the get go I would not have even mentioned the zooming ;)

Right. So just uploaded two pictures using that cool image comparison site :D

The first is basically showing DLSS Quality No RT vs DLSS Quality with RT. The non RT one looks very similar to shanks one, just slightly brighter. Overall I prefer the RT version. I was actually surprised to see it was not just the truck that changes but the bricks also! I think that is why his bricks look so flat.

The second one is Shanks image done apples to apples with mine as I turned off RT and basically did DLSS Quality as he is using the FSR Quality preset. Basically there is very little in it. When you zoom in my image looks like it is better as it seems less compressed and fuzzy. Take a look at the posters for example, the text is more clear on my ones. But when you look at it without zooming in apart from his being a bit darker, there is not much difference :)

Caporegime
Fair enough. What you did in the video seems legit and I think had you done the same process from the get go I would not have even mentioned the zooming ;)

Right. So just uploaded two pictures using that cool image comparison site :D

The first is basically showing DLSS Quality No RT vs DLSS Quality with RT. The non RT one looks very similar to shanks one, just slightly brighter. Overall I prefer the RT version. I was actually surpriesed to see it was not just the truck that changes but the bricks also!

The second one is Shanks image done apples to apples with mine as I turned off RT and basically did DLSS Quality as he is using the FSR Quality preset. Basically there is very little in it. When you zoom in my image looks like it is better as it seems less compressed and fuzzy. Take a look at the posters for example, the text is more clear on my ones. But when you look at it without zooming in apart from his being a bit darker, there is not much difference :)
It looks better there and agreed. :)

I really don't get why the whole colour tone changes with RT on vs off though. I've never seen anything like it in another game where it can change the colours, as well as all the usual things like shadows, reflections etc.

Was getting a bit fishy there matt! ;) :p
:cry:
This tool is frig awesome. Thanks for sharing the screens @TNA and @LtMatt
You are welcome, I use it all the time. :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Was getting a bit fishy there matt! ;) :p
:cry:

This tool is frig awesome. Thanks for sharing the screens @TNA and @LtMatt
No problem man. Was fun :D

I mean it is not often does a game come out that makes me want run comparisons, debate etc.

It looks better there and agreed. :)
Glad you finally agree and see what I am seeing :p:D

I really don't get why the whole colour tone changes with RT on vs off though. I've never seen anything like it in another game where it can change the colours, as well as all the usual things like shadows, reflections etc.
Yeah, it is a odd one. I was surprised when I saw the difference between my RT vs non RT, I honestly thought it was just the shadows in the truck at first, but obviously a lot more going on there.

Caporegime

Global illumination is the main contributor for colour/tone. Sadly very few games use that RT effect, iirc, only icarus, cyberpunk (when using RTX psycho lighting) and metro ee and then you have the amount of light bounces which comes into play too, dl only uses 1 bounce. DF explains the light bounces/GI pretty well in their metro ee video:

https://youtu.be/NbpZCSf4_Yk?t=1021

Caporegime
Maybe I need to try Metro EE again, those infinite bounce RTGI look amazing.

It is truly stunning, in motion shows it of so much better too, some scenes literally made my jaw drop:

qv6I0uW.jpg

jfydjbO.jpg

oTxG8oy.png

ggfpZYY.jpg

WeAhcPp.png

ADlXFe4.jpg

sVZtcuP.jpg

Sadly some people prefer the rasterization methods though for the "pop"/overly vibrant colours/lighting.

Anyway, back to dl 2 :p

Most underrated thing, which deserves more attention is the world design in this, it really is stunning seeing all the attention to detail, reminds me a lot of fallout 4 game world. Just got to a container ship and lets just say, it's like a maze inside, only 2 screenshots of it as better to explore for yourself to see just how much there is to it:

E5eVnlb.jpg

XvpvWdT.jpg

Some more RT vs no RT slides too (gamma at default):

https://imgsli.com/OTQ5NzY

https://imgsli.com/OTQ5Nzc

https://imgsli.com/OTQ5Nzg

https://imgsli.com/OTQ5Nzk

https://imgsli.com/OTQ5ODA

I'm hoping they add more light bounces in the future....

Caporegime
Those Metro screenshots look good, going to have to download that myself and try it out. Is it the standard Metro Exodus version that was released on steam or something else?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Steam has both normal and Enhanced edition. Enhanced edition is a pure RT game so you need a card that supports RT for it to work. Will also need DLSS as there's no other means of framerate uplift. Enhanced edition is free if you already have the normal edition!

Gonna jump in after Boba Fett :D

Soldato
It's funny people calling up how good the map/world looks because it looks pretty awful to me. The oversaturstion and in game colour grade is awful.

All the detail and design cues from 2018 gone. The unique buildings and detail lost. When you get high(ish) in slums area you realise how far the world is with pretty much all structures very similar 3 sorry height.

It a real shame because I thought the world and design language in 2018 was excellent but this released version is as bad as the watchdog downgrade that got slammed and this seems to be betting completely ignored.

Not to mention the overall green foliage that is so dense feels so out of place. So disappointed because I really wanted to like it.

Caporegime
It's funny people calling up how good the map/world looks because it looks pretty awful to me. The oversaturstion and in game colour grade is awful.

All the detail and design cues from 2018 gone. The unique buildings and detail lost. When you get high(ish) in slums area you realise how far the world is with pretty much all structures very similar 3 sorry height.

It a real shame because I thought the world and design language in 2018 was excellent but this released version is as bad as the watchdog downgrade that got slammed and this seems to be betting completely ignored.

Not to mention the overall green foliage that is so dense feels so out of place. So disappointed because I really wanted to like it.

When I say map/world, I mainly mean more the design and not just the graphics, as mentioned earlier back, the world feels like it's been lived in and has gone through ****, a lot of open world games are lifeless in comparison, it is a very well designed world especially since you can enter most buildings (although a lot of the time they are much the same in the interior design)

Think you are mainly referring to the first area with the "3 storey" comment? That's just one area of the map, in the main town, buildings are certainly more than 3 storeys....

GUtuJff.jpg

DviTCZc.jpg

I'm liking the greenery on the rooftops too, kind of makes sense i.e. one of the safest spots to be in a zombie apocalypse especially at night so that's why survivors have planted trees, crops etc. there.

All in all, the game world reminds me a lot of I am legend film:

qZrA2d2.jpg

31nOmiF.jpg

4jxiR1L.jpg

PEE8YrS.jpg

Foliage looks pants in screenshots, in motion it's nicer with the way the leaves etc. move in the wind.

Those Metro screenshots look good, going to have to download that myself and try it out. Is it the standard Metro Exodus version that was released on steam or something else?

Definitely one to play if you want the best RT experience and also runs very well on amd cards even without fsr (with settings dropped a notch or 2), just make sure to turn of hairworks.

Back
Top Bottom