*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've donated - purely because I loved Elite and Frontier so much. If only it could capture some of the magic of those games... multi-player universes would help massively.

I really hope I haven't wasted £20 on some pipe dream....

With any luck X: Rebirth shouldn't be far away, hopefully that will remove the "boxed in" feeling of the previous games. I personally like the X series, its been the nearest thing to an Elite game for years.

Ok gonna see if I can pick it up on the cheap on ebay.

Reunion, Terran Conflict, or Albion Prelude?

Can Elite 4 come sooner? :)

Cavallino, buy Terran Conflict, you can then buy Albion Prelude as an update. Albion Prelude is not stand alone. Theres no deal on steam at the moment, but both can currently be bought for £19.99 on there as the X3 Terran War Pack. Not sure if a winter steam sale is due to start soon or not, but in the last sale the X superbox (all the X games) was sold pretty cheaply.

Last edited:
This game will fail to deliver unless the community is given MOD tools, They can create 50000000000 gazilion galaxy system and numerous ship upgrades and it will all be for nothing after 6 months.

This game will fail to deliver unless the community is given MOD tools, They can create 50000000000 gazilion galaxy system and numerous ship upgrades and it will all be for nothing after 6 months.

There is likely to be more systems and galaxies in the game than can ever be visited, so i'm not sure there is any need to have a mod tool to create any more (Frontier had around 100,000,000,000 systems). They will all be procedurally generated anyway. I would quite like the ability to create a nice custom paint job for my Cobra MK III though. Mod tools to create addtional missions, and items from Elite lore such as generation ships, rock hermits, the Dark Wheel etc may not be too bad an idea.

If Braben gets it anywhere near right, people will play this game for a long time to come. People still play Elite and its clones such as Oolite 28 years or so after its release. Its the die hard fans such as these that have funded the kickstater this far.

Last edited:
There is likely to be more systems and galaxies in the game than can ever be visited, so i'm not sure there is any need to have a mod tool to create any more (Frontier had around 100,000,000,000 systems). They will all be procedurally generated anyway. I would quite like the ability to create a nice custom paint job for my Cobra MK III though. Mod tools to create addtional missions, and items from Elite lore such as generation ships, rock hermits, the Dark Wheel etc may not be too bad an idea.

If Braben gets it anywhere near right, people will play this game for a long time to come. People still play Elite and its clones such as Oolite 28 years or so after its release. Its the die hard fans such as these that have funded the kickstater this far.

Yeap im still playing this, Which is a remake have been using my save game from 20 years back!
Just picked it up and resumed play.
http://www.frontierastro.co.uk/Hires/hiresffe.html

Have aany of you tried the Pioneer Elite 2 remake?

Found it on youtube lastnight the game is still in alpha and has a lot of content missing still but looks like it has a lot potential, you can download the latest Alpha from here.

Pioneer
http://pioneerspacesim.net/

What happened to the games industry, we went from games like these where you had an intro then it was get on with it and enjoy yourself. To games which look very nice but are like a rollercoaster ride with a bit of interaction.

What happened to the games industry, we went from games like these where you had an intro then it was get on with it and enjoy yourself. To games which look very nice but are like a rollercoaster ride with a bit of interaction.

Blame the growth of the industry. Games now appeal to the masses, to who the cinematic approach sells.

It's a shame though as it's not like being cinematic and deep are mutually exclusive - games like MGS have managed it.

I feel the same about MMOs.

Which is my point, the MOD tools need to be there for as someone else mentioned ships, content, missions etc. Otherwise it ends up being what elite was. If we all take off the rosy glasses for a moment it needs more than running narcotics, getting the big python upgrade ship and blasting police vipers for ever and day.

Which is my point, the MOD tools need to be there for as someone else mentioned ships, content, missions etc. Otherwise it ends up being what elite was. If we all take off the rosy glasses for a moment it needs more than running narcotics, getting the big python upgrade ship and blasting police vipers for ever and day.

I'd be more than happy with that, LOL :o

DB has commented a few times tonight and has stated additional information and updates will be coming soon. He has clarified the multiplayer a bit more. It will not be an MMO in the traditional sense. I think we can safely put to bed the idea that they are not serious or interested in the Kickstarter. They want to make Elite IV.

DB has commented a few times tonight and has stated additional information and updates will be coming soon. He has clarified the multiplayer a bit more. It will not be an MMO in the traditional sense. I think we can safely put to bed the idea that they are not serious or interested in the Kickstarter. They want to make Elite IV.
Where about have you seen his comments? The MP side of it is what intrigues me most about it of how it'll play out. I've read up on Star Citizens setup and as clever as it is it sounds like it completely removes the ability to free roam space as you are limited to travelling between pre-determined waypoints between planets, space stations and what not.

Edit: They also need to up the promotion effort as it's daily Kickstarter takings have dropped below the average it needs to make the target.

Edit: Hmmm found his comments on Kickstarter - suddenly very worried about it

The comments on the multiplayer side of the game have actually made me much happier. You are free to play the game single player, or if you wish to play multiplayer you have control over how this happens. I can't see the mutliplayer having any impact on your ability to free roam. I'll be honest and say that its highlty unlikely i'll ever play it multiplayer. I agree that the pledges need to increase as they have tailed off the last few days, that being said as long as it makes above £10K on the bad days it should be possible to recover. We just don't want too many of those bad days.

Last edited:
The comments on the multiplayer side of the game have actually made me much happier. You are free to play the game single player, or if you wish to play multiplayer you have control over how this happens. I can't see the mutliplayer having any impact on your ability to free roam. I'll be honest and say that its highlty unlikely i'll ever play it multiplayer. I agree that the pledges need to increase as they have tailed off the last few days, that being said as long as it makes above £10K on the bad days it should be possible to recover. We just don't want too many of those bad days.

As long as it doesn't become an instanced mess then I'm also all for a co-op style game structure option.

This game really needs to be on the steam forums and greenlight to get some massive massive pledges.

I have much faith in this game being made.

Positive thoughts>Positive actions>Happiness.
Negative thoughts>Negative actions>Unhappiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom