*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I picked up a x-55 for ED and SC (though only fired up SC once).

I love it ,it's truly a great stick, and should be for the price tag. It allows me to play without using the keyboard whatsoever, which will be a huge bonus should I ever decide I want a rift.

Soldato
I picked up a x-55 for ED and SC (though only fired up SC once).

I love it ,it's truly a great stick, and should be for the price tag. It allows me to play without using the keyboard whatsoever, which will be a huge bonus should I ever decide I want a rift.

This, I don't use a keyboard at all in Elite which is very nice, it also feels sweeeeeeet and is effective.

Man of Honour
Has this got voice control? Or will it have?

Also someone needs to make a custom controller display.
A 2x ~12" touch screen display, that displays the left and right hand screens from the cockpit.

DPI

DPI

Associate
Thanks for the replies. I love the look of the X-55 so very tempted to go for that, plus I imagine both ED and SC will offer good support for that throttle and stick.

Mmm, now Oculus. :D

Associate
It seems like this may be worth getting, whilst waiting for SC to deliver (if ever). The youtube videos of this seem very polished!

Does the 'standard beta' mean anyone with 'premium beta / alpha pass' gets more regular updates/content? Or it is just simply when the game moves to standard beta?

Associate
The premium beta comes with all future expansion packs.

Standard Beta will get you access to the beta build on the 29th July, but no expansion packs unless you purchase separately.

If I remember correctly ,Standard Beta is £50, Expansions are £35, so you pay an extra £15 for around a months early play.

Associate
It think SC is a case of 'when' and not 'if' Chris Roberts will deliver on his promise I'm sure.

Development on ED started a lot earlier and from what I've seen so far SC looks like it will potentially be a lot deeper gameplay wise.

Your right, standard beta is the move to the next stage. You will get all the updates from then on the same as anyone else apart from the expansions which you will have to buy unless you bought the expansion pack

I have bought into both games.

Associate
I am just wondering if the 'expansion packs' are worth getting now for £35. It seems like £50 for a game now is rather expensive (although it looks worth buying otherwise I wouldn't consider it!) but £85 in one hit is tricky to decide upon.

Associate
It think SC is a case of 'when' and not 'if' Chris Roberts will deliver on his promise I'm sure.

Development on ED started a lot earlier and from what I've seen so far SC looks like it will potentially be a lot deeper gameplay wise.

Your right, standard beta is the move to the next stage. You will get all the updates from then on the same as anyone else apart from the expansions which you will have to buy unless you bought the expansion pack

I have bought into both games.

Both games started development around the same time. The only main difference is Frontier was an already existing company whereas CIG was built from scratch. They both spend some time on concepts etc before the kickstarters.

Frontier have been modding there own engine for Elite and CIG have been modding Cryengine for SC.

I am just wondering if the 'expansion packs' are worth getting now for £35. It seems like £50 for a game now is rather expensive (although it looks worth buying otherwise I wouldn't consider it!) but £85 in one hit is tricky to decide upon.

It is expensive, but if you want to still back the game you can think of it more as giving Frontier more money to get the game made :) You are only missing out on some of the items the original kickstarter tiers give you.

On the expansions it just depends on if you want to pay upfront or by instalments. No one knows how many there will be or how much each one will cost at the moment.

Caporegime

This is the position I'm in. It just seems rather expensive and info on expansion packs is very thin on the ground. How many will there be? What will be included? How badly will not having certain packs (or any) 'break' the game? £100 is a lot of money to effectively test the game for them although I appreciate lots of people want to play and are happy to do so.

Associate
This is the position I'm in. It just seems rather expensive and info on expansion packs is very thin on the ground. How many will there be? What will be included? How badly will not having certain packs (or any) 'break' the game? £100 is a lot of money to effectively test the game for them although I appreciate lots of people want to play and are happy to do so.

From what I have read so far there seems to be quite a demand for expansions, read up here: http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5659

Although I don't think a lot of them are 'expansions'. It seems after a bit of reading that these are strategic updates, to try and capture people who buy late-on. As the game isn't a monthly subscription based funding model it seems quite sensible! I think I will purchase the expansion with the beta now.

Associate
I plan on getting the the expansion pass before the end of the month to go with the Standard Beta. I'm busy watching Le Tour de France and riding my bike in the good weather most of the time just now so I can wait till the 29th to play :) After all I've waited nearly 30 years so far :D

I think its like everything, If your going to play for a few years (and I will be) then it will be a decent 'investment'.

Man of Honour
How much is the expansion pack, it'll be worth it. as lots are planned like planets, atmosphere entering etc.
Basically just look at what SC have planned. The final games will be very similar, it's just ED is doing in stages and fine running everything. Where SC very much looks like it's trying to do to much at once. Even though I've spent more on SC :(

Associate
I'd say SC are managing fine, they are developing several MODULES in parralel with a view to them all connecting together and supporting enhanced features as a result, It's a different development path from ED by the sounds of it and it takes longer/more work to create at the start and means that having something to show takes a little longer but hopefully means that there should be a lot of stuff coming out within a shorter period now. If you follow my meaning....

Associate
I'm sure SC will do well, but the success of ED so far is most likely down to the fact that Frontier have been developing this game in secret for many years now - Brabam said at a recent conference that the majority of what we see now was there even before the kickstarter. Think of that what you will, but Frontier have a significant head start on SC at the moment, and that is why beta is going so well.

Planned expansion so far are:

Walking around ships including fixing your ship, firefighting, boarding other ships etc...

Walking around stations and other venues...

Planetary landings... this one will be big - not only just in star ports on planets but they are intending to be able to explore the surface, mine, hunt game etc...

Much of the first person stuff is already developed using code and assets from "Outsider", however right now FD are working on getting the space bit right - indeed DB has been cited as saying there will not be an Elite 5 and that ED will be running for years through expansion.

This all however depends on its success. Which I am pretty convinced will be wild :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Those expansions are essential in my book. Part of the reason i'm holding off from buying for as long as possible is because i want to buy all the code in one neat 'GOTY' style package

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom