*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Associate
Massive great big black hole at the centre of the galaxy as far as I'm aware. Nothing more.

I remember a long time back I made the trip there in my Asp, scanning a ton of neutron stars along the way. When I arrived there was another player in the system, but he quickly logged off. He came back a few minutes later and we started a short conversation. I didn't have any weapons equipped anyway, but it certainly was a bit of a tense moment. I also got too close to the black hole and almost incinerated myself outside of super cruise.

Soldato
That's got me interested in Sag A too, before I head back to the bubble. IdI'be interested in tips on how to get there too.

Well I've made a start, about halfway from Vequess to the first stop off point on the "corridor" with the improbable designation of Blu Thua AI-A c14-10. It's a good job copy and paste works in the Galaxy map!

It is very much about fuel management. The route calculator is not clever enough to spot it may have put you through an extended run of brown dwarf stars which exceed the range of your tank from the previous scoopable star. I've already had to jump off route a couple of times to find fuel or risk getting stranded. So the first lesson learned is that i should have stripped out some of the optional equipment such as the cargo rack and SRV bay and replaced with additional fuel tanks to extend the range. Until I can do that, hopefully at Blu Thua, I'm scooping every star that allows it, even if I've only made one or two jumps since the previous fuel stop.

So certainly not just mindless jump, jump, jump.

It's also going to take a while - my slightly engineered AspX has a maximum jump range of 27 LY, not using neutron jumps as I don't really understand how these work. Also Discovery Scanner is finding lots of data which should net me a tidy sum at Uni. Carto. plus a big chunk towards Explorer Elite.

Soldato
I find KGB FOAM easier to remember! :)
The talk of heading to Sag A made me realise just how big this game is. Hundreds of jumps going there from starter space even with decent jump range, and to think you can carry on going the other side for atleast as far again :eek:

Started doing Passenger tour trips in my Cobra the past 2 nights, got some decent earnings (for early game...) and it seems there is a sweet spot of around 1 million credit payout where anything over that seems to scale up in the amount of range I've got to go massively! Had a few trips available paying 2-3m and they needed me to go 40+ jumps before heading back, whereas I had a job paying 900k for about a 20 jump round trip - was I just lucky on that one? Had a job offer with a 23m payout which sounded great so I accepted it, only to realise the destination was something like 1200 jumps away :/ Who on earth would go that far for 23m? Even with a ship that has max jump range that still would have been 400 jumps and anyone who had such a ship could surely make more money quicker with many other options?

Soldato
Thanks for the tip about the star filter, will save me some embarrassing moments. The other thing I intend to do at the first stop with an Outfitter is strip out superfluous weight (most of the guns) and possibly downgrade one or two of the modules such as thrusters to get that range up by a couple of LY.

I'm also looking at maybe extending my time in the Black to include a trip out to Beagle Point which might include circumnavigating the galaxy edge.

Associate
IIRC, the order of 'grade' or usefulness of each scoopable star is ABFOGKM?

Sounds right but I can't remember tbh.

The other thing I intend to do at the first stop with an Outfitter is strip out superfluous weight (most of the guns) and possibly downgrade one or two of the modules such as thrusters to get that range up by a couple of LY.
You can also engineer modules to be light weight which can help.

I'm also looking at maybe extending my time in the Black to include a trip out to Beagle Point which might include circumnavigating the galaxy edge.
You might want to sign up to Distant Worlds 2? https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/383440-Distant-Worlds-II-Early-Announcement . It is beginning after the Exploration update in Beyond: Chapter 4 so there should be some cool new phenomenon to see out there

Soldato
I've only done a L1 mod with Farseer for a modest FSD range increase as you need germanium to go to L2 which needs to be mined (I believe). From V3.0 though I believe there is going to be some sort of trading system to exchange materials which might prove useful.

It's a shame you can't just jettison modules in space, external ones anyway, without having to dock at an outfitting station, to reduce weight.

I'm also taking the pace down a bit on my trip and looking around some of the systems, probably when I stop to refuel. Unlikely I'll get my name on anything undiscovered as the path is too well trodden but I believe the normal exploration data pays more if you scan the planets rather more so than honking the system.

Associate
I've only done a L1 mod with Farseer for a modest FSD range increase as you need germanium to go to L2 which needs to be mined (I believe). From V3.0 though I believe there is going to be some sort of trading system to exchange materials which might prove useful.

Yep in Beyond there is a Material Trader but sometimes it'll just be easier to go get stuff. For G2 you need Atypical Disrupted Wake Echoes & Chemical Processors. You can get Chemical Processors from blowing up ships in RES sites or from Degraded/Encoded USS in high/medium security systems. For Atypical Disrupted Wake Echoes get a Wake Scanner and wait outside a busy station, scanning the High Wakes of ships as they leave.

I believe the normal exploration data pays more if you scan the planets rather more so than honking the system.

Yep, this is what you get for honking, discovery scanner & detailed surface scanner. Mod your surface scanner with long range or fast scan if you can.

attachment.php

Soldato
Nice. My trip to Colonia now very extended as I divert through every other system to get the detailed scans.

Just hope I don't blow up before reaching an outpost to sell the data... :)

Soldato
Insanely Hooked on Elite now, have played it pretty much every hour I've been awake but not at work, or sleeping for the past week or so.
Visited Betelgeuse and VY Canis Majoris at the weekend along with lots of exploration between jetting a good deal of cash, that paid off the cost of my Diamondback Explorer and more. Few more passenger runs and exploring and I've now bought a Vulture kitted out for more combat, love how agile that thing is.

Not sure what I'll be trying next. Piracy, getting some Imperial rank (I want a courier), or plan a longer trip into the unknown...

Soldato
Obsidian Ant, does he have a real life job, anyone know what he does? Going by his voice and demeanour I have him down as a Health and Safety facilitator for the London Underground :)

Re: the above post, I was the same for the first 2-3 weeks, just drinking in the atmosphere and the feeling you are flying a god damn spaceship around a god damn galaxy. I was puzzled when reading Reddit where people seemed to be mainly moaning about grinding, I was thinking what are they on about, you are role playing a Capt Kirk. But after 2-3 more weeks I am beginning to notice the grind. The initial feeling is still there but is definitely being tempered with the prospect of knowing the next thing on the list to do is pretty much guaranteed to involve grinding of some sort. The one thing I am defo not tired of yet is landing on planets and just driving around exploring, that will probably always be the main thing in the game for me.

Associate
Obsidian Ant, does he have a real life job, anyone know what he does?
He owns a music business.

but is definitely being tempered with the prospect of knowing the next thing on the list to do is pretty much guaranteed to involve grinding of some sort.
What are you planning to do next?

The one thing I am defo not tired of yet is landing on planets and just driving around exploring, that will probably always be the main thing in the game for me.
I drive around a lot too; great fun which will likely only get better with the Q4 update. FDev are currently looking for a Vehicle & Weapons concept artist for ED if you want to draw some conclusions from that about what may be coming to the game in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom