*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Associate
Now I've got my FleetCarrier I wanted to do some more exploring. Unfortunately I'm off to the Falklands next week for 4 months so wont be able to play at all until June :(

Soldato
Activating panels by looking at them is painful. During the fight it is actually annoying and distracting. I have panels bound to one of the hats on my stick, and just bring them up when needed. I disabled activation when looked at.
GalMap in VR - haven't checked Horizons recently, but in Odyssey mouse cursor appears when you move it.
I'm using Virtual Desktop for Quest2, maybe that's why.

Agreed. I will give it another go. I suspect that the mouse cursor wasn't visible because I had used desktop mode to look at something on eddb, and there was some confusion about which program was live. Although the controller was working fine with Elite.

Soldato
I set myself the task of opening up the available engineers. When I made this decision, I did not realise just how far away Colonia is. So I'm currently on a 20,000ly journey from Sirius to Colonia. Perhaps I should have changed ship from my Asp Explorer with around a 20ly max jump first. But I'm 1000ly into it, in a completely uninhabited zone currently, so too late!
I'm exploring every system as I go through, so should be a fair bit of money at the end of it anyway. Hoping I can find something inhabited on the way to reduce the risk of losing it all.

Associate
Whatabout upkeep? What happens if you cant make the payments?
Upkeep is 5m/week for core services, up to maximum 25m/week with all optional services. There's also charge for every single jump you make, I think 100k/jump.
If you fail to pay upkeep and accumulate a mountain of debt - 250m+ - carrier will be decomissioned.
I set myself the task of opening up the available engineers. When I made this decision, I did not realise just how far away Colonia is. So I'm currently on a 20,000ly journey from Sirius to Colonia. Perhaps I should have changed ship from my Asp Explorer with around a 20ly max jump first. But I'm 1000ly into it, in a completely uninhabited zone currently, so too late!
I'm exploring every system as I go through, so should be a fair bit of money at the end of it anyway. Hoping I can find something inhabited on the way to reduce the risk of losing it all.
Recently few starports have been added to the Colonia bridge, there were few ports before that, and also there are megaships along the way, so just look for them.
There's regular fleet carrier service between bubble and colonia, might be difficult to coordinate and embark mid-way, but you can use it when you decide to return to the bubble.

Soldato
Upkeep is 5m/week for core services, up to maximum 25m/week with all optional services. There's also charge for every single jump you make, I think 100k/jump.
If you fail to pay upkeep and accumulate a mountain of debt - 250m+ - carrier will be decomissioned.

Recently few starports have been added to the Colonia bridge, there were few ports before that, and also there are megaships along the way, so just look for them.
There's regular fleet carrier service between bubble and colonia, might be difficult to coordinate and embark mid-way, but you can use it when you decide to return to the bubble.

Cheers! I was wondering how this stacked up with mention of 'the bubble'. Clearly what I'm doing by getting there manually is a bit daft - but I've set out now! I can't even plot a route all the way there yet - it's too far. But I can get within 1000ly - and it's over 1000 jumps. :o

Associate
So decomissioned means you lose it? It will be sold?
Yes, effectively sold. Owner would be fully refunded minus debts obviously.
Is there any way of seeing how much exploration data you have for sale without being at a station?
Not directly in game. You would have to use external tools and synchronize your journals to see it.
edsm.net for example

Associate
No, money generates money, that was very true early after fleet carriers introduction.
Set up a buy order for mined commodities close to a mining location, once filled up, jump carrier to a system where prices for such commodities were good.
Either sell yourself, or set up a sell order securing you a nice profit, but still attractive enough for others to move goods off your carrier.
Bulk trading is still profitable, mining is profitable, if you have high reputation with a faction, you will get offered valuable wing missions.
There are game loops that offer high payout, say passenger missions from Robigo, or high intensity on-foot conflict zones, just to name a few.
Carrier owners often try to avoid tritium loading themselves, and some are offering silly profit for those who are ready to move tritium from station to a carrier.
These days probably 15-20k per ton with demand going into thousands, but it used to be a lot more as I remember.
These requests are getting fullfilled so there is constant demand/supply of service.

Last edited:
Soldato
I totally hadn't thought this through. If we assume 1000 jumps at an average of 5 minutes in each system - that's 80 hours of play...

I have a real psychological issue with turning back though. :D

Soldato
That's incredibly kind of you. But I'm going to own this! I have found a station that's another 2000 ahead of me and not in the wrong direction. So I'm going to head there, and take stock of the situation.

It's Droju OH-T A99-0.

Underboss
i team up with my friend @Ravenger and im having difficulty finding him, especially when in the same system, he can always see me in his Rader, but i need to be like a foot away from him ?

so i was assuming its either sensors (i think i have 3A) or maybe need to zoom out of the radar ?

no idea what's going on, we are wingmen, and done wing nav-lock (which i cant see what this does) also put on "wing lights"

any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom