*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Associate
Did you high-wake? That means jumping to another system. Low-wake is entering supercruise in the same system.
Difference is, you can get mass-locked when trying to low-wake by a bigger ship, it will take much longer to charge the drive.
Also, if interdicted by a player, another interdiction is likely to follow if you low-wake.

If you loose interdiction mini-game, it will take longer for your FSD to get ready.
Sometimes submitting and high-waking right away is better.

Last edited:
Associate
Because I do a fair bit of exploring, I have retained the supercruise assist purely for the purpose of putting me in orbit for planet scanning. Is there an easy way to attain a stable orbit manually?
Without supercruise assist, you need to correct it all the time. It's not a big deal, but requires attention.
Planet scanning - do you mean using detailed surface scanner by that?
Don't need to enter the orbit for that, you can fire the probes while still quite far from the body.
Few ls for a gas giant, <~0.4ls for an earth-sized body.

Soldato
Cheers, I do mean using the DSS. I might have an experiment with doing it without orbit. If I can do that, frees up space for something else. More cargo, or a passenger cabin maybe.

Soldato
Cheers, I do mean using the DSS. I might have an experiment with doing it without orbit. If I can do that, frees up space for something else. More cargo, or a passenger cabin maybe.

The way the probes work you can scan a whole planet from one fixed position without having to fly around the planet to the other side or otherwise orbit it, so you can just fly to a planet, stop once it is big enough in the frame of view, not too big , not too small, then fire your probes so they bend around the planet, even to the back. It would be easier to explain if you google one of Down to Earth Astronomy's tutorial videos on youtube (D2EA) as it does need a bit of a visual guide to do it, rather than trying to explain in a post. Basically the planets gravity bends the probes trajectory depending on where you target, even if you target off the planet and at open space, until text pops up which says "miss", which will then, erm, miss. Until you get that text the probe will land somewhere on the planet regardless of where you aim. If you were already aware of this then apologies.

Soldato
first time I've been shot at

i was carrying Water (not mission) and i got knocked out of Hyperspace, shields got knocked out and my hull down to 81%

i managed to escape :)

This is unfortunately where your lack of a twist yaw control on your joystick will probably be most noticeable, as it helps a lot when winning the mini game before you get knocked out of super cruise. That's if your new stick doesn't have it of course.

Associate
Did you high-wake? That means jumping to another system. Low-wake is entering supercruise in the same system.
Difference is, you can get mass-locked when trying to low-wake by a bigger ship, it will take much longer to charge the drive.
Also, if interdicted by a player, another interdiction is likely to follow if you low-wake.

If you loose interdiction mini-game, it will take longer for your FSD to get ready.
Sometimes submitting and high-waking right away is better.

+1 to this. If I realise I am about to lose the interdiction I would throttle down and drop out that way you can recharge the FSD quicker. On my hotas I have a key setup for target next nearest system so I can press that and high wake out of the system. Comes in handy when you are flying something like a T9 loaded with loads of cargo that you dont want to lose.

Underboss
+1 to this. If I realise I am about to lose the interdiction I would throttle down and drop out that way you can recharge the FSD quicker. On my hotas I have a key setup for target next nearest system so I can press that and high wake out of the system. Comes in handy when you are flying something like a T9 loaded with loads of cargo that you dont want to lose.

good tip thanks

how do you know when your being targeted though (assuming thats what you mean "interdiction"

Associate
good tip thanks

how do you know when your being targeted though (assuming thats what you mean "interdiction"

Interdiction is where another ship (NPC or player) tries to pull you out of supercruise. If a ship appears to be following behind you, it's possible they are intending to attempt an interdiction. NPCs will also generally warn you - messages like "I'm glad I found you first" in the chat.

Not sure how much of this you know from your experience so far (and I'm on a break from ED at the moment, so I'm reciting this from memory).

Once the other ship triggers the interdiction you get put into the "mini game" as others have said - the two big progress bars left and right and an escape vector target in the middle of the screen. The closer you can follow the escape vector, the more likely you will break the interdiction lock.

The blue progress bar on the left will go up if you are following closely enough and when that reaches the top, you will break the interdiction and you carry on in supercruise. If you are not following closely enough, the red bar will go up and when that reaches the top, you will be dumped out of supercruise with the other ship (who will either start shooting straight away or will demand cargo and then start shooting depending on the situation).

If you zero your throttle while you are in the mini-game then you submit and drop out of supercruise. As @Kautya said this considerably reduces the recharge time for the FSD and therefore allows you to escape more quickly.

So, if the red bar is nearing the top then it's worthwhile just throttling back to submit.

To avoid the interdiction altogether, the general advice is to avoid heading directly to your destination - for example follow a curving path out of the plane of the system and turn towards your destination as tightly as you can at the end of the run. The idea is to basically try to prevent the other ship from being able to follow directly behind you long enough to trigger the interdiction. This requires manual flying in supercruise as the assist will always go directly in a nice easy to interdict straight line. Depending on the bodies (planets, stars) between you and your destination, this can also be faster than flying directly as it prevents the gravity from the intermediate bodies from slowing you down.

NPC pirates may jump you at any time. If you get a message from a mission giver that there's an "incoming enemy", that means you will almost certainly get an interdiction attempt.

I've never seen it written, but I think that NPC pirates will match your combat rank whereas mission-related interdictors will match the mission rank - so if you take an Elite mission and you get an NPC trying to prevent you finishing the mission they will be Elite rank NPCs. Take that into acount when considering the bonus offered by a mission giver to take out the "incoming enemy".

Associate
Observe the radar, solid rectangles are AI controlled ships, hollow ones are player controlled. If rectangle becomes a triangle, that means ship deployed its hardpoints.
Another player following you, that often leads to interdiction attempt. You may target a ship even if it is behind you, you won't be able to scan it, but you will know what kind of a vessel it is.
Combat oriented ship should trigger the alarm.
Be careful in Deciat - almost guaranteed someone will try to attack you there - and in systems with active Community Goal.

Associate
good tip thanks

On chat you normally get a message saying something like "I have been searching for you, you are mine" (if its a bot) followed by a ship in near vicinity appearing (on radar) and then it kicks of the interdiction mini game (at times they will make an offer to drop some cargo and would let you go).
Interdiction is the term for when they (any opponent) pull you out of super cruise (as you cant be attacked in SC) so that you can be engaged in combat.

Or what the above two posts say (lol). Didnt see those :D.

Also you can buy the interdiction module yourself (for combat missions) to pull people out of SC. One thing that I havent tried in the game, as I am not much of a combat player.

Underboss
thanks guys

its funny, in VR, i see messages pop up all the time, but when i turn my head to read it, they disappear and i cant get it back (not sure how to)
so i have to just tilt my eyes up and try not to move my head to read it
i just wish i knew this way to read it before i got attacked ! lol

Soldato
I haven't used it in VR yet (really need to get around to it!) But possibly the messages which are disappearing are under a different tab of the messages box. So try, once you're looking up and left at the message box, pressing RB (the shoulder button) to skip between tabs.

Associate
The ship messages normally (I think, I havent played recently for some time now) come in the system tab of the chat (top left). I havent tried it in VR too long (<10 minutes) so cant recall if this issue was there.

Soldato
I just finally tried Elite in VR with trying to help out as an extra spur.

I see what you mean about it being easy to accidentally not look at the exact spot needed to keep menus open. I did find that the 'shortcut' controls for opening those menus seem to still work though, and result in them staying open even if you glance away. So try holding down X and pressing the up direction on the digital direction pad to open the messages box.

The sense of scale is awesome in VR, but I might not be able to make it my norm. The galaxy map is a bit of a pain to use. I usually use mouse and keyboard for the map, and in VR the mouse cursor isn't appearing, which gets in the way a lot. For that matter, I use EDDB a fair bit to plan routes, and switching between that and game in VR is also a bit of a pain.

If the galaxy map worked properly I could probably cope with it, but with both those problems, I'll probably only use VR now and again to remind myself how amazing it looks.

Associate
Activating panels by looking at them is painful. During the fight it is actually annoying and distracting. I have panels bound to one of the hats on my stick, and just bring them up when needed. I disabled activation when looked at.
GalMap in VR - haven't checked Horizons recently, but in Odyssey mouse cursor appears when you move it.
I'm using Virtual Desktop for Quest2, maybe that's why.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Voice attack is needed. Brings a entire new experience to the game. Nothing better than saying arm lasers and watching the HUD change

Associate
I'm still using an old GTX960 and I've been hoping to get a better card to do PC VR including ED with my quest 2. I've been watching FE Part alert and I saw 3070FE listed but they all went so quick I had no chance! I've noticed that there is some stock of ATI cards now and the prices don't seem as high. £480 for a 6600XT for example. I know there is a downside in that they lack DLSS. How are they for VR?

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £489.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)​

Back
Top Bottom