*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Soldato
Oh - should have said - this relies on you having an Alioth permit too. You might find it hard to get a decent supply elsewhere. Other sources are either at stations hugely far from the origin point of the system, require planetary landing, or are multiple jumps away.

EDIT to add: It's on until the 10th I think.

Associate
Blimey... can I do it in Type 10?
You can do the hauling in any ship that can carry cargo, and you don't specifically need an Alioth permit. That's just the closest system that was selling the commodities you need for this CG, and it's pretty much sold out anyway.

Two important things:
1) CG will run until some time in the early hours on Thursday, so effectively it finishes Wednesday night for UK-based players.
2) To be eligible for the CG rewards, YOU HAVE TO SIGN UP TO THE COMMUNITY GOAL BEFORE YOU HAND IN ANY CARGO! You can sign up at any station with a mission board, just scroll to the top, and pick the CG that's based in Alcor (not the one in Colonia). That said, you can sell cargo without being signed up and still get the credits, so it's not a disaster if you forget, you just won't have a chance at the engineered modules.

At this stage of the CG, most of the commodities near Alcor have sold out, so you want a ship with decent jump range - that has to be balanced against your cargo space, of course. Chances are, your Conda might be the best suited to the job, if you refit it for cargo hauling and lose any unnecessary weight.

You can use eddb.io to search for stations selling the three commodities in this CG. There used to be a way to permalink a search on EDDB, but I can't find it so I guess it's been removed. The three commodities are:

https://eddb.io/commodity/64 (Auto-Fabricators - lowest profit, so more availability)
https://eddb.io/commodity/300 (Micro Controllers - second-best profit)
https://eddb.io/commodity/69 (Resonating Separators - best profit, lowest availability)

In the search options, enter "Alcor" for the Current System, and select "No" for Include Planetary/Odyssey/Fleet Carriers (landing on planets takes ages, and Fleet Carriers are often not accessible to everyone). Choose a landing pad size appropriate for your ship, and I recommend searching for stations with at least 10,000 Min Supply, or you'll be racing to get there before it all sells out. Choose "Buy" for the "Buy or Sell" dropdown.

Once you have your results, you want to prioritise stations which are close to Alcor, have RECENT update times (ignore anything that's days, or even hours, old), and which aren't too far from the entry star (that's the column with numbers followed by "ls").

Good luck! Or just have a lie down and remind yourself that credits aren't real, and there's always a next time :D

Soldato
Also make sure the station has a big enough landing pad for your ship!

I have found that Alioth is rarely sold out to be honest. I think there's a couple of factors here:
That you need a permit.
That there are multiple (at least 5) stations there which sell the resonating separators.

I've generally been able to do a couple of trips fully stocked, then make a third one, half fill my ship, and log off. Then next time I log on, there's enough stock again for me to fill and leave.

Associate
Also make sure the station has a big enough landing pad for your ship!

I have found that Alioth is rarely sold out to be honest. I think there's a couple of factors here:
That you need a permit.
That there are multiple (at least 5) stations there which sell the resonating separators.

I've generally been able to do a couple of trips fully stocked, then make a third one, half fill my ship, and log off. Then next time I log on, there's enough stock again for me to fill and leave.
I think another factor might be that it's a 7000ls journey to the stations, so it's quicker for a lot of people to jump to more distant systems than it is to supercruise to the Alioth stations. I would much rather make three jumps to a station 500ls from the star than one jump to a station 7000ls away, but whatever works, works :)

Soldato
Yeah, quite possible. At least it's not the station in Mizar that's 160,000ls from origin star! I nearly made the mistake of heading for that one first time.

Soldato
Yeah, quite possible. At least it's not the station in Mizar that's 160,000ls from origin star! I nearly made the mistake of heading for that one first time.

I did actually go to Mizar for my first run, doh. Then found a spot 2 jumps away, 8ls from the star, with 75000 in stock, which was enough for me to secure a 75% slot with near certainty after a few runs in a t9.

They take ages when they are 200,000 ly away
Cant remember the mission I did, but it took me around 4 hours to reach the station !!

Something not quite right there, as far as I am aware the farthest station from a star in the game is Hutton Orbital, which is like 0.22 ly, or 6.7million ls, and flying at full throttle should take about 90 mins. I am thinking you are maybe not flying at full throttle if a few hundred thousand ls trip is taking you hours to travel, possibly supercruise assist buggering things up?

Soldato
I can imagine that, with a station that far away, using supercruise and alt-tabbing out to read some forums is probably the way to go. Will take longer - but can you imagine full throttling, getting carried away having an argument on OC about whether the war in Ukraine actually exists, and then going back to find out you're even further away now but in the opposite direction? :D

Underboss
I did actually go to Mizar for my first run, doh. Then found a spot 2 jumps away, 8ls from the star, with 75000 in stock, which was enough for me to secure a 75% slot with near certainty after a few runs in a t9.

Something not quite right there, as far as I am aware the farthest station from a star in the game is Hutton Orbital, which is like 0.22 ly, or 6.7million ls, and flying at full throttle should take about 90 mins. I am thinking you are maybe not flying at full throttle if a few hundred thousand ls trip is taking you hours to travel, possibly supercruise assist buggering things up?

Yep, full throttle, reaching speeds of over 700c

Associate

Another veteran of the Hutton mug cg?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
That was very tedious at the time, I got through a fair few episodes of family guy on that one :)

What is the big update that is meant to be incoming btw ?

Associate
Yep, full throttle, reaching speeds of over 700c
Highest possible supercruise speed is 2001c, looks like throttle not at 100%.
I dont seem to be having much joy. I have plenty of hull reinforcements and shield boosters...
But cell banks I am not getting on with.... I always seem to overheat when using them...
Use heatsinks.

Back
Top Bottom