*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

I started playing this again a couple of weeks ago and enjoying it, varjo aero vr is amazing, I bought odyssey as well, but I am getting killed all the time. I think I may have missed something during the tutorial, maybe about shield and health. Great to see my shop from the outside and dock though.
the starting gear is crap. think of it as an e rated sidewinder. you need to spec up your gear.

the good news is if you get lucky you can find up to level 3 engineered stuff with some bonus effects to buy which is a hell of a head start.

the starting gear is crap. think of it as an e rated sidewinder. you need to spec up your gear.

the good news is if you get lucky you can find up to level 3 engineered stuff with some bonus effects to buy which is a hell of a head start.
Sorry I meant that the first person Odyssey I keep getting killed, I'm sure I'm missing something so will need to watch some videos

Sorry I meant that the first person Odyssey I keep getting killed, I'm sure I'm missing something so will need to watch some videos
that was what i meant... i was on my phone and rushing so sorry if not clear.
The starting guns and armour in Ody is really poor, my comparison to an E rated sidewinder was not literal..... but for instance a starting sidewinder with a new player going into a combat zone wont have a good time of it.

the same is true of the starting on foot gear. the difference tho is if you get lucky you can find and buy half upgraded stuff for cash if you find it in the store (cant remember the name of the gun and gear shop in elite but its on the concourse in stations/orbital platforms/ground bases)

Last edited:
Ah got it thanks, more reading and videos :) it's like another job sometimes. But one that I can just ignore. I am enjoying this again but so many changes since I last played. Just doing missions and got my sol permit. So need to decide what direction I want to go with now I think.

i don't know if the starting ship in odyssey is different from horizons
but you just need to stay out of trouble until you can afford a better ship

trade missions is the best best at the start

use this website to know what to trade in and where to take it to

you will need to jump to other systems though, use your ships speed and manoeuvrability to get away from threats

@sgavan (sorry forgot to quote) i am the same tbh. i grew with elite dangerous from way before release when all there was was a sidewinder and a few ships to shoot, so never had a problem with any of the new features..... until Ody. it was such a mess at launch i didnt enjoy it so i just stuck with the standard horizons content and i even tho its improved now i rarely do any of the new content other than exobiology.

also, whilst i do have a ship capable of destroying the lower tier thargoid ships (i get owned by hydras however), i have absolutely no idea where to start with the new thargoid titans.

which is a shame as you can earn a lot of cash and materials and also get some unique ship kits for being involved. the worst part is, apparently its some of the most engrossing stuff in the game, esp in VR, but there is a chance once the last of the titans are destroyed (iirc only 2 left now) that entire game arc may be gone for good (i really hope not)

Last edited:
a very tasty CG for the weekend as well with a lot of goodies up for the people who take part.

loads of weapons for everyone, and then even more for those in the top 75% and 50%

I have a day off tomorrow, so if anyone plays in the mobius PG and see commander Mad Mike i will say hello now........ because chat sucks in elite playing in VR.

Last edited:
........ because chat sucks in elite playing in VR.
Haha, yeah, it's the biggest downside of VR for me (not that I'm overly sociable anyway). Especially since I don't even have a keyboard near me when I'm playing in VR - I'm just sat on a chair in the middle of my room-scale play area.

I tried setting up some canned comms in Voice Attack, so I could at least tell people I was listening but couldn't reply, but couldn't get them working right.

I'm also in Mobius, but not sure when I'll be playing. I'll keep an eye out, and try to keep you outside of modshard scatter radius :D

Don't forget to turn off "Report crimes against me"!

One of the other players in the instance you were in earlier, judging by your posts on the CG forum :p
lol yeah would appear so. currently having to be v careful as I have notioriety of 1 so can't pay off bounty. it's my 1st time getting it so it's new to me

with the bugs, rubber banding and the nature of the anti thargoid weapons report crimes really needs to be off in MP instances for thargoid hunting
I panicked a bit when I read your message as I thought maybe someone had accused me of attacking them ... thankfully not as I play in a PvE group which would get me banned.

Back
Top Bottom