**The Official Everything MMA Related Thread**

Soldato
With 3 losses in his last 4 fights I'd suggest he's probably on thin-ice contract-wise but the guy's he's lost to aren't exactly chumps so I'd say it's a bit harsh to say he's done at this point!

The thing that surprised me was Romero's age - I thought he was a relatively young kid but at 38 he's older than Machida! :eek:

I can see Machida playing middleweight gate-keeper to be honest!

Soldato
Personally I think Machida is done. He's 37 and has lost his last three fights. It's not as if he's got much chance of another title shot, so the only reason he'd keep going now is for the money. I think he's still quite a popular fighter, particularly in Brazil, so that may be why the UFC would want to keep him on for a bit longer, but imo he should retire.

Crazy what Romero said in the post-fight interview. I don't think there's any doubt that he was referring to the US Supreme Court decision on same-sex marriage, and it's pretty shameful and stupid to choose that moment to voice his opinion on the matter.

On a brighter note, did anyone see Thiago Santos' brutal knockout?

tbh

tbh

Associate
Machida's chin has gone and his speed isn't what it used to be either; I'd hate to see him suffer more KO losses to increasingly mediocre fighters, admire his fighting spirit but sometimes you have to listen to your body and realise that it's time to call it a day.

Soldato
Crazy what Romero said in the post-fight interview. I don't think there's any doubt that he was referring to the US Supreme Court decision on same-sex marriage, and it's pretty shameful and stupid to choose that moment to voice his opinion on the matter.

I think he meant "no forget Jesus" not "no for gay Jesus" - language barrier at its finest. He pretty much confirmed that in the post-fight press conference, but that could be because UFC officials managed to get hold of him and help him spin it.

Soldato
Lyoto is a decent draw, don't think he'll be cut unless he has an abysmal fight.

Romero looked great when he used his athletic advantages, that clinch knee to ankle pick fake was a glimpse of what he's capable of....scary!

His post fight, I do think he said "not forget jesus" but at the same time I do think he was referring to the supreme court ruling. It's been blown way out of proportion though...

Soldato
Aldo is out! Mendes v McGregor at 189.

Good news. Didn't want Aldo to fight injured although I still would have put money on him winning. Don't agree with the interim belt, the UFC desperately wants a belt around McGregor and I fully expect him to get smashed on July 11th.

Soldato
I actually feel sorry for McGregor in this - he has gone from a fight against a world class Muay Thai fighter to a fight against a heavy handed wrestler. Where as Aldo would work to keep the fight standing you have to imagine Mendes is going to drop Connor onto his back.

Soldato
Best decision all round imo - although I don't see what the UFC decided that the Mendes fight needed to be for the interim title - I mean it's not as if Aldo is going to be out for a long time!

Plus there is already a title fight on the card that could easily be pushed to be the main event!

I suppose it makes the fight a 5-rounder and if McGregor wins then they will be able to hype the eventual Aldo fight as a unification fight which will add to the spectacle!

Associate
Yea I think this is the best decision all-round, apart from having them fight for an interim title - he misses one fight and there's an interim title.. what the hell?!

This could actually work out better for the UFC - if Mcgregor beats Mendes, the fight with Aldo becomes even bigger!

Soldato
Interesting decision. The right one from Aldo in my opinion, it would have been silly for him to fight injured, McGregor would have just targeted the injured rib. Great for Mendes too as he has very little to lose. McGregor and the UFC have the most to lose in this situation. He could end up losing to Mendes and then some of that hype that has been built up around him will be deflated.

Soldato
Still going for Mcgregor TKO. The to steam through Aldo. I've just seen the UFC book a date for Ireland in October.. Would be interesting if Mcgregor and Aldo fought there.

Soldato
I am quite interested in this tbh I think it will answer a lot of questions people still have about McGregor. Although I fully expect him to find a good answer for the questions.

Back
Top Bottom