**The Official Everything MMA Related Thread**

Soldato
I've seen worse decisions in recent years but I'd suggest that Condit was by far the more active fighter which I'd have expected the close rounds to reflect!

I thought Lawler looked lethargic and disinterested for the most part and was very surprised it was even a split decision, let alone a Lawler win!

You could argue that on the very rare occasions that Lawer attacked, he did so with more intent but I wouldn't say it was enough of a difference to take the rounds!

Woodley next I'd imagine and then perhaps a rematch??

Man of Honour
Just seen Cerrone will be making his Welterweight debut on February 21, 2016. I worry for Tim Means.

probably for the best if he wants a belt, he didnt do anything to warrant a rematch for the 155lb belt, and what with Conner potentionally moving up to 155lb...

Soldato
I just don't get the logic in letting McGregor go up to 155 - I mean he's not exactly "cleaned out" the 145lb division - as far as I can see he's only actually fought 3 of the current top 10 and hasn't defended his title even once yet!!! (having said that, the UFC's own rankings have Jon Jones as the no. 1 P4P fighter at the moment - just remind me how many fight's he's won in the last year to deserve that! :p)

I'm not saying he wouldn't potentially walk through a lot of them but it's not like the set of circumstances where Anderson Silva had destroyed all the middleweights and thought he'd have a crack at the LHW division! (and even then he didn't walk straight into a title fight!)

I know McGregor wants to become the first fighter to hold 2 championships in different weight classes at the same time in the UFC but if he's not going to defend at 145lb, he should drop the title and become a contender at 155 imo!

Trouble is it's all $$$ to Dana so he's going to want to milk Connor's notoriety for every cent!

Last edited:
Associate
I just don't get the logic in letting McGregor go up to 155 - I mean he's not exactly "cleaned out" the 145lb division - as far as I can see he's only actually fought 3 of the current top 10 and hasn't defended his title even once yet!!! (having said that, the UFC's own rankings have Jon Jones as the no. 1 P4P fighter at the moment - just remind me how many fight's he's won in the last year to deserve that! :p)

I'm not saying he wouldn't potentially walk through a lot of them but it's not like the set of circumstances where Anderson Silva had destroyed all the middleweights and thought he'd have a crack at the LHW division! (and even then he didn't walk straight into a title fight!)

I know McGregor wants to become the first fighter to hold 2 championships in different weight classes at the same time in the UFC but if he's not going to defend at 145lb, he should drop the title and become a contender at 155 imo!

Trouble is it's all $$$ to Dana so he's going to want to milk Connor's notoriety for every cent!

Funny you should mention that, because Dos Anjos Vs. Mc Gregor is ON!

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/1...anjos-holly-holm-miesha-tate-headline-ufc-197

Soldato
Funny you should mention that, because Dos Anjos Vs. Mc Gregor is ON!

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/1...anjos-holly-holm-miesha-tate-headline-ufc-197

Cant say I'm surprised, although my original point still stands - I'm sure I read somewhere that either McGregor or his coach said something along the lines of "he won't fight at 145lb again" - if that's true then the UFC should strip him of the title! What good is a champion that isn't going to defend his title!?!?

Associate
I think it will depend on how he does against Dos Anjos. If he wins or does well then I would expect him to stay at 155 and he would be stripped of the 145 title. If he's completely outclassed though I can't see him or the UFC wanting him to stay at 155 so I'd expect him to move back down to 145 and keep that title.

Either way, the UFC need McGregor to be a title contender for the cash.

Associate

I don't think it's the UFC letting Conor go up to 155, I think Conor HAS to move up as the weight cut is probably too much for him. If you watch the weigh-in's, Conor looks death-like when he steps onto the scale.

Associate
I don't think it's the UFC letting Conor go up to 155, I think Conor HAS to move up as the weight cut is probably too much for him. If you watch the weigh-in's, Conor looks death-like when he steps onto the scale.

I reckon Conor knows his worth as the current cash cow, and stated his terms to Dana - who knows how much PPV he will rake in with this and ceded to McGregor's now stronger negotiating position.

I agree he should not be allowed to unify the belts and a new interim champion should be determined at 145. Look forward to UFC 197 though, didn't expect him to fight so soon though.

Caporegime
I don't think Conor's that bothered about staying around long, he wants to make mega money and will probably easily make a decent career for himself after the UFC. I'm sure he's said in interviews before he's not in it for the longhaul, certainly won't be a fighter still around in his mid 30's imho.

He made something like 5 million in total from the Aldo fight right?

Soldato
I think it will depend on how he does against Dos Anjos. If he wins or does well then I would expect him to stay at 155 and he would be stripped of the 145 title. If he's completely outclassed though I can't see him or the UFC wanting him to stay at 155 so I'd expect him to move back down to 145 and keep that title.

Either way, the UFC need McGregor to be a title contender for the cash.

Fair point - and I guess the UFC will also benefit from the hoopla of Connor being a multi-division world champion with it all adding to his marketability in the future!

Last edited:
Soldato
I agree he should not be allowed to unify the belts and a new interim champion should be determined at 145. Look forward to UFC 197 though, didn't expect him to fight so soon though.

I can't imagine he'll unify the belts - just hold them concurrently (or at least until he's stripped or vacates one!)

Not surprised if he does fight so soon though - the Aldo fight wasn't exactly a big outing for him! :D

Associate
I don't think Conor's that bothered about staying around long, he wants to make mega money and will probably easily make a decent career for himself after the UFC. I'm sure he's said in interviews before he's not in it for the longhaul, certainly won't be a fighter still around in his mid 30's imho.

He made something like 5 million in total from the Aldo fight right?

I think when you decide to dedicate your life to something as he has and find such monumental success its hard to pull away, he is on top of the world right now and if he continues to find success which btw I think he will then why would he step away?

The gate alone for UFC 194 was $10mil and I would think he made closer to 10 million pounds all in all.

So March 5th guys :p

Back
Top Bottom