**The Official Everything MMA Related Thread**

Soldato
I don't think it's the UFC letting Conor go up to 155, I think Conor HAS to move up as the weight cut is probably too much for him. If you watch the weigh-in's, Conor looks death-like when he steps onto the scale.

Thats the reason for the move - Conor and his trainer said the weight cut is killing him to make 145lb limit. That's the reason for the move.

Very strong rumours are he will jump straight into the title fight at 155lb at UFC 197. But that's a pretty short camp for McGregor.

Soldato
Surely if he's moving up to 155 he'll vacate the belt? Can a 145lb fighter get a title shot if Conor is in 155? Or will they make another belt for the 145lb class?

tbh

tbh

Associate
Surely if he's moving up to 155 he'll vacate the belt? Can a 145lb fighter get a title shot if Conor is in 155? Or will they make another belt for the 145lb class?
Penn was allowed to fight GSP for the 170 belt whilst he was the champ at 155 and still retained the 155 belt; by that point however Penn had cleared out the lightweight division, McGregor hasn't even defended his belt yet!

Soldato

Bear in mind that that theoretically nothing stops a fighter fighting in two divisions. They don't belong to a category, they can fight at whatever weight they want as long as they meet the limit for it. He could happily weigh in at 155, win that title, then weigh in 6 months later at 145 to defend that belt still.

He almost certainly won't but he could if he wanted.

Dan Henderson flitted between various weights during his career.

Associate
Prediction for 2016 -:
Anthony Pettis to beat Eddie Alverez @ UFC Fight Night: Dillashaw vs. Cruz
McGregor to beat Rafael Dos Anjos on March 6th @ UFC 197 (if this goes ahead)
Anthony Pettis to fight Tony Ferguson for a title eliminator, El Cucuy with the W

...and finally to round the year off McGregor vs. Ferguson!

Bold prediction

Soldato
I'm really interested to see what McGregor looks like physically at 155lbs. His body has matured a lot since his last fight at 155lb so I imagine he's going to look a lot more solid than he used too, I find he looks willowy and wiry at 145lbs and I think 155lb will better suit his frame.

Soldato
Loved the verbal sparring between Cruz and Dillashaw in their interview with Jon Anik - Cruz really seemed to get under TJ's skin!

Always interesting when there is a bit of needle between fighters! :D

Back
Top Bottom