**The Official Everything MMA Related Thread**

Thompson looked awesome, I thought Hendricks would win if he got to him to the ground but he didn't look like he could do anything.

Did anyone watch the prelims? Justin Scoggins looked awesome. He fights in two stances, a karate and a muay thai stance. It looks like the next generation of MMA fighters are coming through :)

Conor talked about the possability of him moving up to welterweight once he beats RDS for the lightweight title, Thompson would make an interesting opponent for him :o

Jesus christ, that was a result I didn't expect.

Hendricks looked slow, lethargic, wonder if he had a bad weight cut or something. Taking nothing away from Thompson though, kid did fantastically well.

Maybe time for a rematch against Matt Brown, see if he can avenge his loss?

Hendricks used to be a beast, KOing guys spectacularly on his way to the top. He looks like his power has gone away and just seems to want to wrestle now. Not sure what has happened to him.

Wasn't expecting Hendricks to get blasted like that! :eek:

He looks like a shadow of his former self - mind you I think I'd have had trouble getting out of bed in a morning after that decision loss to GSP! :p

Hendricks used to be a beast, KOing guys spectacularly on his way to the top. He looks like his power has gone away and just seems to want to wrestle now. Not sure what has happened to him.

USADA drug testing happened to him. He hasn't been himself ever since it came into force.

Makes sense why he didn't want the testing that GSP offered to pay for in their fight.

Not to take anything from Wonderboy, he looked amazing out there and made it look easy.

Crap night of fights bar the Thompson Vs Hendricks fight. Beautiful performance from Thompson, insane accuracy. He's put the entire division on alert there.

No doubt Hendricks thought he won, or it's the fans fault, know what I'm sayin'?

Last edited:
Not sure, before the Cerrone fight I'd have backed McGregor but that was one impressive performance against the in-form fighter in the division!

I'd like to see McGregor do it and it will interesting to see how he looks at 155!

I personally believe Dos Anjos is massively overrated, some sites have him top 5 P4P for example. Sure, he beat Cowboy in impressive fashion but let's be honest here Cowboy quit. He beat Pettis by basically rubbing him up against the cage for 5 rounds.

He's a grinder with not particularly heavy hands, his best chance will be to try and lie on Conor/hug him against the cage for 5 rounds ala Pettis, but I think Conor is too crafty for that. If the fight stays standing and away from the cage, Conor is going to light him up like a christmas tree.

With that being said it does surprise me that Conor is the favourite in the betting line, what with him going up a weight. If I was putting money on i'd go with Conor to win via TKO, maybe covering myself with a Dos Anjos via decision.

Last edited:
I think that's the exact reason why RDA will beat him, that's how Chad Mendes had success against Conor.

Things to make note of though with regards to the Mendes vs McGregor fight is that Mendes was on very short notice, so wasn't in perfect shape, yet still had great success when fighting in close and on the ground. RDA is bigger, stronger and has shown great cardio in his fight with Pettis, I can't see him tiring like Mendes did. RDA is also a long time BJJ black belt, and a very accomplished overall grappler, I can't see Conor a threat to RDA on the ground, and I can't even see Conor getting out from underneath RDA should it go to the floor.

However, it's also worth noting that Conor had a serious injury going in to the fight with Mendes, so even he wasn't at 100%, how that impacted on his lack of ability to do anything from the bottom, other than eat elbows, is unknown.

The fight will be all about the distance and range that it's fought at, if Conor can keep the distance and RDA on the outside he will win the fight, if RDA can close the distance down and keep it fought on the ground or in the clinch it's going to be a long long night for Conor.

People aren't talking enough about how much more dangerous Connor will be at his more natural weight class, as said above, IF the fight stays on the feet RDA will get lit up in impressive fashion I feel.

I think a lot of people will be surprised at how strong Connor will be @ 155 as well.

Will he be as strong as Cerrone, who's just moved up to 170lbs himself, or Benson Henderson who has done the same?

RDA has been fighting 155lb fighers for a long time and bullying these great fighters too, with the exception of Khabib. I don't think pure strength helps Conor's game in any way, he said it himself post Aldo fight, timing beats speed, precision beats power, for a grappling and grinding match however strength sure helps.

Funny how every time connor makes 145 he looks like he shouldn't be making that weight. He's had fights at 155 and it's got to be better for his body, that coupled with his timing and speed could be deadly.

Like McGregor says "RDA is just a wild swinger"

And conner's left is deadly, it's a really interesting fight. Good for fans and if connor pulls it off. Then hats off!

I don't think pure strength helps Conor's game in any way

Firstly, what does pure strength mean?

If the extra 10 pounds on fight day doesn't restrict his movement, ability to manage distance and speed then what negative affects that you are eluding to come in to play?

Its also worth mentioning the pre-fight benefits of not having to cut that extra weight and being able to maintain a healthier and steadier body mass throughout training.

Weight cutting is a big deal.

If the extra 10 pounds on fight day doesn't restrict his movement, ability to manage distance and speed then what negative affects that you are eluding to come in to play?

When have I ever eluded that there'll be any negatives to him moving up in weight? I just think RDA will win the fight, even if Conor is better suited to 155lbs. I think there's a bigger gulf in class between the grappling side of this fight than there is in the striking.

I posted in this very thread back on January the 11th the following
I'm really interested to see what McGregor looks like physically at 155lbs. His body has matured a lot since his last fight at 155lb so I imagine he's going to look a lot more solid than he used too, I find he looks willowy and wiry at 145lbs and I think 155lb will better suit his frame.
Its also worth mentioning the pre-fight benefits of not having to cut that extra weight and being able to maintain a healthier and steadier body mass throughout training.

Weight cutting is a big deal.

Couldn't agree more, but I just don't think added size and strength will be enough for Conor to beat RDA, because Conor doesn't rely on these attributes to win fights.

Back
Top Bottom