***The Official Forza Motorsport 3 Thread***

How many of you guys are using a wheel ? I just can't decide to buy one or not.

I use a wheel!, and in all the race series I am in, the majority of people are using wheels in the top lobbies..

However, there are some quick guys that also use a pad (about 20%) in the top lobbies and seem to do very well indeed..

I believe that if you give it enough time you will be fast with either a pad or wheel, the wheel at least has the benefit of some slightly better interaction in terms of force feedback!.

:)

Try a squash ball guys maybe cut it in two

Of course if you bought the ludicrously expensive Fanatec Wheel and clubsport pedals at £380 then you can set the brakes to vibrate in the wheel at a point before the lock up begins. :p

fixed for the truth... :D:D:D

I've just splashed out on them myself and am awaiting delivery...

Last edited:
Money well spent my friend, specially with the new firmware its the best wheel on the market....
Easy to justify add the price of a G27 and X360 wheel together which still isnt as good!

2 more consoles and 3 monitors youll be laughing..... :)

How you for mounting your wheel?

I've got a nice deep corner desk setup with a 28" monitor about 2 feet at the back of it, it's the perfect height etc for a wheel, and so will just employ the desk clamp..

If I was going to do the 3 xbox's etc, I'd probably do a projector setup, 3 cheap 720p projectors to get that seemless blending, but alas, no real room to do it!

I had a go with manual gears the other day using the controller, it's ncie to be in control of them but i forget to bloody change up/down at the right moment, need to get a wheel really for manual gears imo.

Personally, manual gears on a pad is quite do-able, just stick at it.. it's like driving a car for the first time, feels totally alien for a while, then BAM.. it just clicks..
I have found using the 'clutch' on a controller a little more difficult, but you really need to learn this if you want to get competitive on the leaderboards!

I do like using the wheel though, although once I was used to that, I found manual gears on the pad just as intuative to be honest, just the clutch usage is a bit more fiddly..

Camino Viejo <3

Come on peeps, why does manual clutch make that much difference?

It's because it changes gear faster with the clutch! It may save 0.1 seconds per change (bit of a guess), so a lap with 10 gear changes would net you a second! It's probably doesn't save quite that much, but its substantial!

Wow, a bit of a mixed bag from E3, nice to see some 'Forza', but clearly it was all kinetic based, but the press release at least says it's only a small part of the next forza..

The blog says..
At Microsoft’s Xbox 360 E3 2010 keynote briefing today, show attendees were given a special glimpse of developer Turn 10’s future vision of the racing genre and its potential with the magic of Kinect. As part of the coming soon showcase of Kinect-enabled games at the conclusion of the keynote, Turn 10’s Creative Director Dan Greenawalt and Lead Designer Bill Giese took to the stage with “Forza Motorsport Preview”.

The “Forza Motorsport Preview” demonstration shows the imaginative possibilities of Kinect and the impact controller-free gaming will have on the racing genre and automotive experiences overall. On track, this demo puts the player behind the wheel of the new Ferrari 458 Italia in a passing challenge against a never-ending stream of less powerful cars using intuitive and familiar driving gestures to control the action. Head tracking allows the player to look into the corners or glance down to see the cockpit instrumentation. The Forza Motorsport franchise continues to broaden its audience by combining beautiful HD graphics running at 60 frames per second and authentic realism with easy-to-pickup gameplay and universal car passion. Turn 10 has adopted Kinect’s natural user interface as a key component of innovation within the racing genre.

4700444727_682a557253_b.jpg

The second half of the “Forza Motorsport Preview” presentation took the audience on a virtual tour of the new Ferrari 458 Italia within the expansive backdrop of the Bonneville Salt Flats in northwestern Utah. Rendered completely in real-time on the Xbox 360, the Kinect car experience allows the player to interact with the car – controller free – as if they were standing next to the vehicle in the game. With the Kinect camera tracking both full-body movement and proximity, players can literally walk up to the 458 Italia, lean into the windows for a closer look, lift the glass canopy to examine the car’s powerful V8 engine, or open the door to slide into the cockpit all with the most natural of gestures.

4701075096_d395927377_b.jpg

Once inside the cockpit of the Ferrari 458 Italia, Kinect will track the player’s head movement, allowing seamless examination of the ultra-high detailed interior, which includes everything you’d expect from the real 458 Italia – from buttons and digital gauges, to the stitching on the leather trim of the dashboard – it’s all there with impeccable attention to detail. And finally, the “Forza Motorsport Preview” car experience culminates with the player’s push of the Ferrari 458 Italia’s trademark START button, bringing the car to life with a rumble of its mid-rear engine and the boot-up sequence of its digital gauges. This is as close as you’ll get to the real thing – all without the need for a controller.

“Forza Motorsport Preview” is a select peek at one aspect of the future of the Forza Motorsport franchise, both in terms of the way Kinect has empowered Turn 10 to create a revolutionary way to interact with virtual cars, as well as the breathtaking foundation of a new graphics engine capable of producing the images seen in our E3 gallery. The next full Forza Motorsport experience, which utilizes some of the ideas presented in this demo, will ship in 2011.

4700445431_a7207958e5_b.jpg

Turn 10’s best-selling Forza Motorsport 3, released October 2009, has sold through more than 2 million copies worldwide and continues to enjoy heavy rotation in the Xbox 360s of over 750,000 players each week. Post-release, the Forza Motorsport community has collectively purchased more than 2 million units of DLC, moving more than 10 million vehicles through Xbox LIVE Marketplace. To date, Forza Motorsport 3 remains among the top 15 titles across all games played by Xbox LIVE’s 25 million subscribers.

The encouraging bit..
The second half of the “Forza Motorsport Preview” presentation took the audience on a virtual tour of the new Ferrari 458 Italia within the expansive backdrop of the Bonneville Salt Flats in northwestern Utah. Rendered completely in real-time on the Xbox 360

And we all welcome head tracking..

I'm sure the playing with your hands as a wheel is just going to be optional!!!

[edit] hmm. clearly the E3 presentation was pre-staged gameplay/pre-rendered..

Last edited:
Really badly aswell. When he was looking around the car he kept moving before the video then sometimes rushing to catch up with it.

That car model is damn impressive though. Not really caring for Kinect at all.

There is a behind doors FM4 preview with journalists tonight, with no NDA/Embargo, so we'll get some information shortly I hope..

I think having head tracking is cool (It'll be in GT5 alledgedly, so we can see how it pans out)..

T10 do say all this Kinect support is only 1 small aspect of the new game, clearly rushed to demo Kinetic yesterday, of course their will be other stuff added in as well..

As long as they add in more 'pure racing' features too, with support for more organsied racing events, possibly a couple more cars on track, and why not polish the graphics a little, and I'll be happy.. Some minor tweaks to the Physics engine, namely a little more 'visceral' feeling perhaps, not too much though, don't want it getting all NFS Shift on us..

I don't think the game should let people online until they can beat the Ai on Hard. :D
Saying that though online recently the worst rammers are the Vets. :confused:
You get a Dude like 2-3 seconds a lap faster than you & he stills rams you off the track, I just can't understand that at all.
Met a few Yanks online recently that have been mellow & requested addage, Strange how things have gone full circle with the Yanks, first they were Mellow online dudes then they were paranoid ********* & now they seem to have mellowed again. :p
Anyway the Yanks I've raced recently have been right Gents in race. :cool:

I blame it on the stupid 'level/ranking' system anyway.. The only way to get and maintain Veteren is to either be a very good driver, or use underhand tactics.. The system doesn't differentiate..

As you have found out, just finding the right people is the key to a good game... :)

Fair point about head tracking as the blind spots when using a wheel are a nightmare. Me & a Yank were saying just yesterday it would make things a lot easier if Everybody used there mic then at least you can voice where you are etc

I think they need to add a visual clue as well, some marker that shows which side/distance etc, I've seen other games use it, and it works quite well..

Lets say it's just a simple arrow that moves to show if they are ahead/behind and on what side, turning red or something while there is overlap (i.e. you will make contact if you don't give room).. that way you can still legitimately block etc, but should have too much accidental contact..

I'm loving these T10 official time trials, the Testarossa around Mugello is quite interesting.. and 250,000 credits if you get in the top 100!

Mind you, when the word testarossa is mentioned, I was thinking Croquet and Tubbs, but was pleasantly surprised when I realised which Ferrari it actually was!

I think the Jalopnik pack will come out, but just in a few months.

If you listen to the podcasts, they do explain that DLC takes 6-9 months to implement, so assuming they can source the cars etc (and they aren't that rare), add 6-9 months to the Jalopnik poll date, and you can see that it probably wouldn't be out for a little while..

And I think their 6-9 month estimate is reasonable, just look at claims from other devs how much effort in modelling cars and how long it takes! especially when you are concentrating on your next big thing..

According to Deamon's post, it's 250,000 credits.

T10 set time trials quite often in their Pitpass, they normally last a week or 2, and very frequently they do the same money prizes, 250,000 for a top 100 and 500,000 for a top 10.

Once the end date has elapsed, the money is paid, if you do it after the end date, you don't obviously get anything, and as noted, not every time trial has a cash payout (I did think they did, my mistake!)..

Any tips for using a wheel?
Had mine today with the pedals, after about an hour+ and i'm nowhere near as quick.:(
I keep easily loosing the back end, especially on the brakes. (probably down the the increased grip from the accurate front now)

Should i try to alter my set-ups to compensate, or is it better to start with the slow ones and just learn?
I'm loving the feeling of the pedals and wheel but i don't want to be digging out the pad when i need a quick time. I want to be quick with it before GT5 comes out.

Some people put a tennis ball but in two under the brake pedal to give some artificial 'feel' to the brakes, It's easier to know from pressure when you are at max, rather then position.

Also, changing the cars 'tune' to put the brake bias fractionally forward may help.

My other tip is to reduce the steering saturation from 100 down to 65-70%, or whatever it's called, this reduces your lock to about 180 degrees, allowing quicker steering, something the pad gives you, but you retain enough precision around centre.

I never left.

Tried GT, but the lure of the RS500 and team practise commitments means I've been playing Forza more. Figured I'd give the official hotlapping contest they posted on fm.net a go for a laugh. Started yesterday and surprisingly I'm not last! I'm still over a second off the times of the uber quick guys from the serious hotlapping teams, but I'm well happy with that...

Nice one Magic! You really seem to be getting pretty quick these days! I installed th ultmate collection today, and deleted my save game by accident, so I've not had time to do any hotlapping today, but I'll have to keep at it, there are too many uber quick guys in that comp!

Back
Top Bottom