***** The Official Galaxy Nexus Thread *****

Soldato
As far as I see it

Pros

+ Looks a nice phone, screen should be interesting.
+Android UI finally hardware accelerated
+Some cool new OS features and widgets
+Vanilla android will get quick updates
+No hardware buttons (could go either way)
+GPS that works
+Barometer (ha running out of stuff now)

Cons

-5mp camera, why not use the one from the S2, which is nearly half a year old tech.
-GPU, why hardware accelerate the UI with a last Generation chip
-No SD card, there is no excuse for this (if true)
-720p screen seems to be the default for ICS so is that a strong selling point
-CPU isnt the quickest (probably slower than the S2) but how much will that matter with Hardware acceleration?

I guess in the end it is a similar decision to all nexus phones, slightly old tech but latest software or get a normal galaxy and get the latest tech with old software.

Will be interesting to see if anything else exciting gets announced in the next few weeks

Soldato
And now take a look at the iphone 4 and 4s even, again what size of battery and it also has a higher res than most mobiles? Yet it is probably the best smartphone(s) for battery life with the GS 2 just behind it iirc.

AFAIK the iPhones have some clever underclocking tweaks going on which gives them the decent battery life. Could be wrong though.

Soldato
Does anyone know how the GPU compares to the one in the Desire HD?

I will see what deal Vodafone can do me for this phone, but am not too fussed about upgrading my DHD. ICS does look really nice, from what I have seen Google has done a very good job on it.

Soldato
Not an overwhelming urge to upgrade from my SGS2, unsurprisingly, be interesting to see what the proper reviews say...

AFAIK the iPhones have some clever underclocking tweaks going on which gives them the decent battery life. Could be wrong though.

It's not particularly clever, they just clock the CPU lower (and possibly GPU), both iPhone 4 and 4S have been ~800MHz compared to the iPad's 1GHz, and most android phones now at 1.2GHz+, that saves a lot of power...

Associate
Not many on Android, it's a terrible platform for gaming currently.

This.^^

That's the one thing I will miss when I move from iOS. I was cheered up a little when the makers of Broken Sword on iOS confirmed an Android version. But yeah, if their gaming performance was good I would feel much better. As it is the G Nexus has a slightly better GPU than the iPhone 4, now how that works out however is as much to do with software as hardware I bet.

Associate
Plus the GPU has to do considerably more work than it did in the Galaxy S because the resolution is higher and also the entire UI will now be using it.

And yes, if a phone costs around £500 I'd like for it to not be twice as slow graphically as the model released 6 months ago.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah no problem with that, but then you might as well wait for the note or the new razr as there specs are very good.

But as I said before unless something new or much more demanding games come out, then is there really any need for having the top of the range stuff?

The current hardware in the GS 2 and the GN is more than enough for at least 1 year and should be for 2 years (and to take into account that most people will buy a new mobile when something better comes out in a few months anyway or your contract will be up by then or you might be offered an upgrade)

If you have the best hardware there is but very poor coding etc. then it is pointless having that hardware and even though android is a lot more optimized it can still get much better with more work and especially the apps/games at the minute the reason they lag on some mobiles is not due to the hardware but due to the developers code.

As for the GPU and screen res again look at the iphone 4 res and the GPU and other specs for it, the games for it work very smoothly and the whole mobile in general is smoother and quicker than android mobiles and that is due to the apps and IOS being optimized a lot better not the hardware as it is pretty much GS specs.

At the end of the day if gaming is such an important factor for you, then are you sure that your all looking at the right mobile sector, IOS is where the great games are.

And again I still haven't seen anyone answering my question where they have seen the GS/NS lag/slow down real badly for normal usage for most things and especially for the majority of games.

Back
Top Bottom