***** The Official Galaxy Nexus Thread *****

Associate
I'm meant to be on the T-Mobile 3gb per month package but they changed the packages and lowered me to 1gb, each month they send me a text saying I've gone over and they will be capping my download speeds, each month I call them complain and get the cap lifted, but its just a pain in the arse.

I'm switching to 3 on the One Plan, its expensive but at least it will meet my mammoth data needs.

Permabanned
Here:

T-Mobile shares phone masts with 3 to boost wireless broadband

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2007/dec/18/mobilephones

And:

Orange and T-Mobile merge networks

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11199786

T Mobile and Orange are fully merged and can uses each others networks and data services. T Mobile and 3 have an agreement to share each others masts for better coverage.

The T mobile and 3 mast merge happened donkeys ago.

The T Mobile + Orange share is 2G signals only, but you can switch to use the others 3G service with a quick dial to customer services. T Mobile + 3 share 3G masts.

Last edited:
Permabanned
That also says Orange and Vodafone are merging, so I don't trust it much.

Because it happened in 2007!

Waaaaaaaay before the Orange + T Mobile merge. The rest of the info on who is buying who and who is merging was speculation, but the T Mobile and 3 mast sharing definitely happened.

Another link:

http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2007/12/18/t-mobile-and-3-in-mast-sharing-agreement/

A more recent link from 2010:

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/8982/3_installs_10,000th_3G_mast.aspx

The sharing info is in the comments though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Again, please just show me a link.

Three launched with a roaming agreement with O2[30] which allowed its customers to use their handsets on the 2G network when they moved out of 3G coverage. The agreement with O2 ended in 2007 and the agreement with Orange is ongoing. T-Mobile & Orange merged as 1 company, 3UK and T-Mobile prior to that merge owned a 50/50 Joint Venture for backhaul and base station sites (MBNL LTD) that Orange are now merging into*** Roaming on Orange is still available in some areas, but in others has been turned off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutchison_3G

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/20...-mobile-broadband-network-expansion-deal.html

speeds are set independent by T-Mobile.

Permabanned
Just to clarify - 3 and T Mobile dont share 'every' 3G mast between them, they just have full permission to use each others wherever and whenever they want.

So if 3 has great 3G coverage in one area and T Mobile dont, T mobile can add whatever it is they add to that 3 mast to allow it to work for their network too, and vice versa.

I'm not so knowledgable on the technology behind masts, so I dont know how they do it, but the agreement to share masts between T Mobile and 3 has been in place since 2007.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks, a couple of interesting links. This bit sounds odd -

Although masts and the 3G access networks are being combined, each company's core network and T-Mobile's 2G network will not be shared. Both parties will retain responsibility for the delivery of services to their respective customers and use their own frequency spectrum.

I wonder if that's why T-Mobile still sucks?

Permabanned
Actually T Mobile used to to be the top 3G network in the UK with way over 90% coverage, and the best mobile broadband tariffs available.

After the Orange merge however, they went downhill, and 3 stepped up their tariffs and network to offer the best data plans and 3G service you can currently get.

T Mobile went downhill, while 3 went uphill, thats why I'm leaving T Mobile for 3 now, but wouldnt have even considered doing so 2 years ago when T Mobile were the best for data.

Overall, I dont get why mobile data is so crap in the UK compared to other places, in fact even our broadband is.

I wonder if that's why T-Mobile still sucks?

Ohhh, actually yes - T Mobile are pants for 2G coverage, if you still use that. But their 3G is just as good as 3.

Last edited:
Soldato
Coverage. I'm not really talking coverage, maybe because I'm in London so that shouldn't be an issue. Having said that, it was not having a data connection in central London twice that pushed me over the edge.

Three's speeds are far far better. Upload is around 8 times better. The only problem with Three, it seems to struggle in dense buildings.

Associate
Firstly, I see people talking about cash back on contracts? how?

Next up, GiffGaff. They use o2 network so I should be able to put my GG sim into a o2 phone no questions, I know it worked in my iPhone. I love GiffGaff, free unlimited internet that is really unlimited and now tethering. What's not to like for £10 per month? My contract is up with o2 now I need to figure out how much I can get a GNex for out of contract and do the math........Currently paying £37 on my old contract.......

Also, where will have the first Pay Go option to buy this phone? CPW? P4U? Or direct from o2?

Either way, if anyone wants a GiffGaff sim and wants to give both themselves and me £5 free credit, hit the link:

Last edited:
Associate

Next up, GiffGaff. They use o2 network so I should be able to put my GG sim into a o2 phone no questions, I know it worked in my iPhone. I love GiffGaff, free unlimited internet that is really unlimited and now tethering. What's not to like for £10 per month? My contract is up with o2 now I need to figure out how much I can get a GNex for out of contract and do the math........Currently paying £37 on my old contract.......

I don't get why people can't read the Giffgaff website.
Yes, you can use a O2 locked phone on Giffgaff.
NO YOU CAN'T TETHER ON THE PHONE TARRIFF. :rolleyes:

Permabanned

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/3_mobile/

(I accidentally ordered it twice due to a browser fail, but called 3 and cancelled one).

Thats almost enough cash back there to cover £5 pm of the One Plan contract :)

Oh, and the cashback on my order says it will be paid in January, of course they have to delay it so you cant take out multiple contracts and cancel.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Oh, and this is going to be my first Uber phone :D

So far I've had:

T610
K700
K750
K800
K850
LG Arena (no where near as uber as it looked)
X10 Mini Pro

..... And next a Samsung Galaxy Nexus!!!!!

How big a step up will that be?

Back
Top Bottom