**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Associate
Anyone who had a delayed Panda 2 XL got an email from DPD today saying they're delivering something from EE tomorrow? My order tracking still says delayed till 20th but I'm not expecting anything else from EE other than the phone.

Soldato
I've had a bit more of a chance to actually use the phone today (yesterday it spent most of the day in a locker.) My honest thoughts are:

1) The camera is truly impressive. Even had a couple of requests for the candid portraits it took. When looking, you can see errors in the portrait mode, but you have to really look close.
2) The software is great.
3) The screen is unacceptable on a phone costing £800.

Soldato
I've had a bit more of a chance to actually use the phone today (yesterday it spent most of the day in a locker.) My honest thoughts are:

1) The camera is truly impressive. Even had a couple of requests for the candid portraits it took. When looking, you can see errors in the portrait mode, but you have to really look close.
2) The software is great.
3) The screen is unacceptable on a phone costing £800.

Unacceptable? How do you mean ? Because of a slight blue tint only visable on whites ?

The screen is still very good.

Have you played with the colour modes?

Soldato
Unacceptable? How do you mean ? Because of a slight blue tint only visable on whites ?

The screen is still very good.

Have you played with the colour modes?

I've yet to receive the November update. At usable angels the top half of the screen is blue while the bottom is white.

Also things I've noticed, the finger print reader is very susceptible to moisture and the edges of the screen sometimes fails to recognise a input, for example where the 'p' is.

The screen and fingerprint hardware were better on my s6. But the camera and software are so much better. I will however overlook the shortcomings and keep the phone.

Soldato
Why would anybody choose anything other than natural? Most content is sRGB and should be displayed as such, if the app uses a wider colour space it should enable the correct colour space.
Totally agree. I commend Apple on giving its user no choice to choose overblown inaccurate colours and instead sorting out its colour calibration and colour space.

Soldato
I've yet to receive the November update. At usable angels the top half of the screen is blue while the bottom is white.

Also things I've noticed, the finger print reader is very susceptible to moisture and the edges of the screen sometimes fails to recognise a input, for example where the 'p' is.

The screen and fingerprint hardware were better on my s6. But the camera and software are so much better. I will however overlook the shortcomings and keep the phone.

I think you will appreciate the November update. The screen is better imo on boosted or saturated.

You can force the update by spamming it or following the guy a few posts up steps

Associate
Managed to force the November update.

• Take out sim card
  • Connect to wifi
  • Clear data for Google Services Framework
  • Restart device
  • Check for update
  • Update found and installed
  • Sorted

To me saturated whites have a yellow tint & natural has blue.

I do like the softer look of natural when viewing static / simple content like web pages and reading but for photos and video saturated is a lot better.

Not sure what I'll stick to.

Thanks for those instructions - worked like a charm!!!

An update on my screen protector. I installed the Ultimate Shield TGP yesterday, and it has already fallen off! Whilst the screen coverage is excellent, as is the responsiveness, I just don't think they have added enough adhesive to the product. Also the rainbow/oil slick effect I mentioned in an earlier post, got worse as the day progressed! I have contacted Ultimate Shield to see whether they have plans to produce another one with more adhesive - I think another company did something similar after their first attempt at producing the TGP suffered a similar fate.

Soldato
I think you will appreciate the November update. The screen is better imo on boosted or saturated.

You can force the update by spamming it or following the guy a few posts up steps

Just tried again and it's downloading. I think I would prefer the warmer colours in general.

Soldato
Thanks for those instructions - worked like a charm!!!

An update on my screen protector. I installed the Ultimate Shield TGP yesterday, and it has already fallen off! Whilst the screen coverage is excellent, as is the responsiveness, I just don't think they have added enough adhesive to the product. Also the rainbow/oil slick effect I mentioned in an earlier post, got worse as the day progressed! I have contacted Ultimate Shield to see whether they have plans to produce another one with more adhesive - I think another company did something similar after their first attempt at producing the TGP suffered a similar fate.
I installed the ultimate shield and its pretty poor.
The screen doesn't seem as responsive as it should.

On my pixel I had a spigen one for 9 months and it was perfect.

Associate
I installed the ultimate shield and its pretty poor.
The screen doesn't seem as responsive as it should.

On my pixel I had a spigen one for 9 months and it was perfect.

The curved screen is screwing them up! Have looked at other forums, the Zagg one gets the thumbs up, but is pricey and is still not available in the UK. I'm hoping Spigen or MediaDevil release a decent one pretty soon...

Associate
Had a play with my Pixel 2 XL on the music....

Poweramp - 24bit music files over Bluetooth with Samsung dongle.

Its ok bit flat. Back to back with my Note 8, I am afraid the Pixel is just about ok.

I thought the Pixel had ATPX Bluetooth audio?

Anyone else tried the Bluetooth audio?

Soldato
So the screen is better displaying wildly inaccurate colours?, your choice but I think it's silly.

According to who ? The general review consensus was it looked washed out rather than natural. For me boosted is a minimum I am trying to get used to. I prefer saturated for most part. Sadly in that mode the whites become a little yellow

Soldato
It wasn't washed out, it was displaying sRGB as it should be, previous Android phones not on Oreo were displaying more colours than they were supposed to due to no colour management before Oreo.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/forum/AAAAb4-OgUsy1FWSMFcDgA/?hl=by

Google only added the profiles to appease people that don't want accurate colours, the natural profile is what most people should be using if they want proper colours.

Now, Display P3 can render more colors than sRGB because it has a wider gamut. Without color management, the Android OS passes the decoded sRGB image through to the display, unaware that the display has a wider gamut than the content. As a result, the display reinterprets the color values in this wider gamut and effectively “stretches” the colors. This makes the reds more red, the greens more green, etc. To the user, the screen looks more saturated and colors “pop” more. But the stretching is imprecise; it’s not what the image designer intended. There’s no way for the designer to calculate the stretching effect, hence the rendered colors are not accurate. Most Android mobile phones with OLED displays look saturated for this reason.

With Android 8.0 on Pixel 2 XL, the phone now understands color spaces. It reads the color profile from JPEG, PNG, and WebP files so it’s aware of the color space used to author the content. And the OS is aware of the color space of the display. The Android graphics system uses more bit precision to represent a wider range of colors. As a result, the OS can make sure images are rendered with accurate colors, exactly as the author intended. We think it’s important that User Interface (UI) designers are in control of the rendered colors for their experience. In addition, Android 8.0 enables applications to opt-in to wide color support—an Android app developer can now make use of the wider Display P3 color gamut precisely for a wider range of colors. Google apps will take advantage of wide colors in the future.

Based on the feedback we’ve received since announcing Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL, we learned that some users do want even more vibrant colors. So, through a software update to Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL, we will soon be adding a new “saturated” color mode. The saturated mode puts the display into an unmanaged configuration, similar to how the Pixel 1 operates. The colors will be more saturated and vibrant, but less accurate (similar to most other smartphones which display more vibrant colors): we give consumers the option to choose the color saturation.

Back
Top Bottom