**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Soldato
It wasn't washed out, it was displaying sRGB as it should be, previous Android phones not on Oreo were displaying more colours than they were supposed to due to no colour management before Oreo.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/forum/AAAAb4-OgUsy1FWSMFcDgA/?hl=by

Google only added the profiles to appease people that don't want accurate colours, the natural profile is what most people should be using if they want proper colours.
Problem is, Natural has not been properly calibrated to full sRGB. They've messed that up too as the reds are lacking as shown on a color measurement video by Erica.

Add that to the aggressive blue shift, graininess at low brightness (not just on white but on the notification pull down too with text going grainy) and the crushed blacks, it's just barely a passable screen for the price. Has anyone tested outdoor brightness?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
So here are my thoughts so far on moving from iOS to Android.

- Notifications are amazing, leagues a head of iOS.
- Customisation is nice, it means I can have the phone suit my aesthetic.
- Pretty much all the apps I use are exactly the same, only 1 of the banking apps doesn't offer finger print unlock where as on iOS it did (First Direct).
- Assistant is much more useful and the customisation is great. On the Pixel 2 it's very quick.
- Web browsing hasn't been so good, on Android there's no way to have an ad blocker run in Chrome and there's no way to scroll to the top of the page by tapping the top bar.
- Google calendar isn't a patch on iCalendar in terms of shared calendars. I have setup one up for myself and my wife, but adding/modifying/removing anything from the shared calendar doesn't notify others. This means I would have to check my calendar, instead of see "Trip to xyz, on Wednesday" appear as a notification when it's added.
- I've had in total 5-6 apps crash on me. Today was Photos when I tapped a photo. WhatsApp also decided to stop connecting and required a force restart. So apps aren't as stable as iOS.
- Inconsistent App icons are annoying. Some are square, some are round, some are square in a white circle. Not sure why this is so hard to nail.
- Android on the Pixel 2 is very fast, no issues with performance.
- I love Maps (never liked Apple's attempt), and having it as my default for everything is bliss.
- Swiping the finger print scanner on the back to bring down the notifications is amazing.
- Instagram doesn't allow you to see any photos you have backed up to the cloud, only those on the device.

Soldato
I've just been reading about a new feature in 8.1 (on the pixel 2 models only) that has Google assistant now does diagnostic tests to help solve issues with the phones battery and bluetooth. Quite a neat little feature I thought.

Associate
So here are my thoughts so far on moving from iOS to Android.

- Notifications are amazing, leagues a head of iOS.
- Customisation is nice, it means I can have the phone suit my aesthetic.
- Pretty much all the apps I use are exactly the same, only 1 of the banking apps doesn't offer finger print unlock where as on iOS it did (First Direct).
- Assistant is much more useful and the customisation is great. On the Pixel 2 it's very quick.
- Web browsing hasn't been so good, on Android there's no way to have an ad blocker run in Chrome and there's no way to scroll to the top of the page by tapping the top bar.
- Google calendar isn't a patch on iCalendar in terms of shared calendars. I have setup one up for myself and my wife, but adding/modifying/removing anything from the shared calendar doesn't notify others. This means I would have to check my calendar, instead of see "Trip to xyz, on Wednesday" appear as a notification when it's added.
- I've had in total 5-6 apps crash on me. Today was Photos when I tapped a photo. WhatsApp also decided to stop connecting and required a force restart. So apps aren't as stable as iOS.
- Inconsistent App icons are annoying. Some are square, some are round, some are square in a white circle. Not sure why this is so hard to nail.
- Android on the Pixel 2 is very fast, no issues with performance.
- I love Maps (never liked Apple's attempt), and having it as my default for everything is bliss.
- Swiping the finger print scanner on the back to bring down the notifications is amazing.
- Instagram doesn't allow you to see any photos you have backed up to the cloud, only those on the device.

Agree - notifications on iOS are still crap. Android beats it every time and always has done.

First Direct does have fingerprint logons, just not on the Pixel 2 yet (it's limited at the moment to Samsung and LG devices). They say they will add more in the future, however, if the Pixels prove not to be popular, it sadly may never get the feature.

Correct about Chrome. However, you have options. Try Firefox or the Samsung browser (which is now available for all devices) as these have plugin support.

There are lots of other Calendar apps you could try. The Google one is OK, can't comment on your issue though as never tried.

I hardly ever have any apps crash on my S7 Edge (the last one was facebook, so I removed it and used Friendly), so to have 6 apps crash in one day is not what I would have expected. Do other Pixel owners have this many crashes?

Inconsistent app icons - yeah I've noticed on my Pixel C tablet. However, see your second point. Get Nova / Action Launcher and download "Pixel Icon Pack" from the store. Problem solved! (this isn't practical for my tablet as it doesn't play nice with my keyboard).

Maps is WAY better than the iOS offering.

Soldato
*sigh* Still waiting (im)patiently for my phone call from EE for my 2XL. Has anyone here that has their 2XL got a panda? Is this why I am still waiting for the phone?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Agree - notifications on iOS are still crap. Android beats it every time and always has done.

First Direct does have fingerprint logons, just not on the Pixel 2 yet (it's limited at the moment to Samsung and LG devices). They say they will add more in the future, however, if the Pixels prove not to be popular, it sadly may never get the feature.

Correct about Chrome. However, you have options. Try Firefox or the Samsung browser (which is now available for all devices) as these have plugin support.

There are lots of other Calendar apps you could try. The Google one is OK, can't comment on your issue though as never tried.

I hardly ever have any apps crash on my S7 Edge (the last one was facebook, so I removed it and used Friendly), so to have 6 apps crash in one day is not what I would have expected. Do other Pixel owners have this many crashes?

Inconsistent app icons - yeah I've noticed on my Pixel C tablet. However, see your second point. Get Nova / Action Launcher and download "Pixel Icon Pack" from the store. Problem solved! (this isn't practical for my tablet as it doesn't play nice with my keyboard).

Maps is WAY better than the iOS offering.

Strange that the app needs to be enabled for specific devices to allow finger print access. This morning Nationwide will not unlock with my finger print, I've had to log in manually. Literally never had a problem with Touch ID on iOS.

Sorry should have been more clear about the crash, this was over a few days.

I've read about Nova launcher but one of the main reasons I went with a Pixel 2 is to not have to mess around doing all sorts of additional customisation.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Turns out none of my apps now allow me to unlock via finger print. It prompts me, accepts it and goes green, but then goes to the login screen.

What's going on?!

Associate
*sigh* Still waiting (im)patiently for my phone call from EE for my 2XL. Has anyone here that has their 2XL got a panda? Is this why I am still waiting for the phone?

Hi, I have a Panda 128 XL ordered from CPW in early November , turned up yesterday.

So far very impressed, camera is amazing and even better then my Pixel XL, screen isn't such a big issue.

Back
Top Bottom