**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Associate
Exactly and I used to love swapping phones every year but there is just no reason to. People can say what they like about how another phone is faster but if everything responds instantly anyway I'm not sure what I would gain from that. Likewise, the screen might be better but if I've few complaints about the one I have then I'm not likely to rush out and replace it. Oh and this supposed much better battery life, well GSM arena reports a 2 hour difference (88 v 90) so I'm hardly going to lose any sleep over it. BUT the camera IS demonstrably better, and that is important to me, so for me, the p2xl is probably the better phone (but I won't say it's MUCH better :p). Swings and roundabouts, as they say :)

Associate
I'd still be using my Nexus 5 (32GB) if all my apps didn't take up all the room on it. But after upgrading to the Pixel 2XL I can confirm it's a MUCH better phone :D :p
In all seriousness, I had got so used to the nexus 5 I didn't really know any different until I got the new phone. So I did actually noticed the upgrade, whereas is I went from my 2XL to a 3XL, OP6+ etc I doubt I would get the same level of astonishment.
For me I like to leave upgrades for at least a couple of years to notice any WOW factors
I had a Sony Xperia X10 before the Nexus 5, Now that was an upgrade lol :D

Associate
I'd still be using my Nexus 5 (32GB) if all my apps didn't take up all the room on it. But after upgrading to the Pixel 2XL I can confirm it's a MUCH better phone :D :p
In all seriousness, I had got so used to the nexus 5 I didn't really know any different until I got the new phone. So I did actually noticed the upgrade, whereas is I went from my 2XL to a 3XL, OP6+ etc I doubt I would get the same level of astonishment.
For me I like to leave upgrades for at least a couple of years to notice any WOW factors
I had a Sony Xperia X10 before the Nexus 5, Now that was an upgrade lol :D

Indeed, thats probably the most wallet friendly way to do it :D

In all honesty though, mobile phone advancements have slowed down massively in recent years, so while an upgrade from your N5 to a 2XL will be a BIG upgrade, the difference between a 2017 and 2018 flagship is tiny in real terms. I reckon we have hit the plateau now where there are improvements but they aren't worth the money and especially when stuff costs as much as it does now; in all honesty, I may end up waiting another 2 years to upgrade my 2XL and by then I may even just go for a mid range device anyway, depending on how the land lies.

Associate
My admittedly problematic 2XL given up the ghost tonight. Powers up but shuts down immediately. Prob end up with an iphone sadly (can get iphone v cheap). I like android but as an ipad pro user i am getting entinced.

Associate
My admittedly problematic 2XL given up the ghost tonight. Powers up but shuts down immediately. Prob end up with an iphone sadly (can get iphone v cheap). I like android but as an ipad pro user i am getting entinced.
It's crazy how one phone varies to the next. Me and my misses both have 2XL's and when we have them on the table both at 85% brightness mine is loads brighter than hers. Our speakers are at 100% volume for notifications and yet mine is loads louder than hers. We both have fitbit devices and her bluetooth disconnects a lot and mine is perfect. Again both on Three network, her signal is full up and mine right next to hers is under half. Her call volume is louder than mine which annoys me as mine is very quiet to the point I always press the volume up button when someone calls me. :D
:confused::confused::confused:

Associate
It's crazy how one phone varies to the next. Me and my misses both have 2XL's and when we have them on the table both at 85% brightness mine is loads brighter than hers. Our speakers are at 100% volume for notifications and yet mine is loads louder than hers. We both have fitbit devices and her bluetooth disconnects a lot and mine is perfect. Again both on Three network, her signal is full up and mine right next to hers is under half. Her call volume is louder than mine which annoys me as mine is very quiet to the point I always press the volume up button when someone calls me. :D
:confused::confused::confused:

Bizarre isn’t? I left my faulty 2XL on charge overnight and it was fine again in the morning. So temperamental. :(

Associate
Very bizarre, It could have been the best phone Google have ever made, but there is far too many little problems with it, From quality control to bugs.

So much so I really hate the phone now.

I think I’ve gone through a wide range of emotions, and while I still like it, I can’t help but always feel like its only one more issue away from me having to give up... I really want to love it, but it makes it damn hard sometimes.

Associate
Updated to Pie finally during the holidays. Battery suffered the first week but it's back to normal now and provides me a day or so as before.

Not sure if I'm just imagining things but the update has messed up the camera. On default snaps it more underexposed and suffers from more blur. The technique is the same so not sure. When it nails it the camera is brilliant.

The bonus of unlimited Google Photos until 2021 has meant shooting more video in 4k.

Soldato
Very bizarre, It could have been the best phone Google have ever made, but there is far too many little problems with it, From quality control to bugs.

So much so I really hate the phone now.
yup... those little things pushed me over to one plus 6t.

camera is not as good but the software etc is spot on.

Soldato
How poor is the battery? Heard this mentioned a few times. I'll end up keeping the 2 until 4 out later this year instead.

3 to 4hrs screen time depending on usage. Though that's with AOD on as well as the now playing feature.

My OnePlus 5 would do 4 to 5 with ease.

Last edited:
Associate
Ditto - I get at least 4 hours SOT with my 2XL, sometimes as much as 6-8. I have had my fair share of complaints about this phone but battery life was never one of them. I do note that this stupid cold charging bug is STILL a problem though (I noticed when I tried to top it up quickly the other day and got about 3% for my troubles).

Soldato
I've bought a few charging accessories like a PD USB C car charger and a couple more power bricks to remedy the lack of stamina.

Look like Xiaomi are releasing a PD powerbank too for a good price. 20Ah for £30.

Associate
One thing that isn’t really much of a problem but looks quite shoddy is the fact my phone keeps waking up when it thinks it can hear my voice, but doesn’t recognise it. Why can’t the screen just stay off in these cases? I constantly see if out of the corner of my eye several times an hour with the TV on waking up because it thinks I’m about to say OK Google.

Back
Top Bottom