**** The Official Google Pixel 4 Thread ****

Associate
The idea that the Pixel 4a has a better battery life than the Oneplus Nord isn't true at all.

Here's a battery drain test involving the Nord against other phones.

lol, why are you on this vendetta?

We’ve got two awesome phones in the Pixel 4a and Nord. It’s clear you prefer the Nord and I’m sure it will be a great device for you and those who choose to buy it and the same applies here.

Soldato
Wasn’t expecting it to happen so soon is all. I thought they’d at least keep it on sale until P5 orders were opened up but if they didn’t have that much stock to shift in the first place then it makes sense I suppose.

Soldato
The idea that the Pixel 4a has a better battery life than the Oneplus Nord isn't true at all.

Here's a battery drain test involving the Nord against other phones.

You may aswell have shown a documentary about flamingoes for all the relevance that video has to your actual claim re the Pixel 4's battery life being inferior... :confused:

Associate
Would the Pixel 4a be a worthwhile upgrade from a Galaxy S9?
I wouldn't think so. I mean it has a plastic build which is great for its price but considering s9 was a flagship it may feel a bit weird.

But it's an great phone with excellent camera for £350

Soldato
I wouldn't think so. I mean it has a plastic build which is great for its price but considering s9 was a flagship it may feel a bit weird.

But it's an great phone with excellent camera for £350

I dont really mean in terms of build quality, more in relation to performance and camera. Especially as my S9 battery is past its best and its just developed a big bright white line down one side of the screen!

Soldato
Would the Pixel 4a be a worthwhile upgrade from a Galaxy S9?

It depends on what you value the most.

Whilst benchmarks would say the Exynos 9810 still out performs the 730G, this doesn't necessarily translate into perceived performance unless you're a heavy gamer (e.g. Call of Duty Mobile, Asphalt 9 etc). It might feel weird going from a metal and glass device to one that's mainly plastic but sounds like you don't mind that, and they're both single lens cameras but the Pixel would win hands down here.

If your S9 is damaged screen wise and the battery health is now poor then I can't fathom how the Pixel will feel anything but an upgrade, as long as you're not wanting to play graphically intense games or mind the use of plastic for the body.

Caporegime
Aren't people saying the performance of the 4a is bad/laggy already though? Unless a patch fixes it, imagine what it will be like in a years time...

Any word on the NAND Performance yet and if google have cut corners here?

Associate
Aren't people saying the performance of the 4a is bad/laggy already though? Unless a patch fixes it, imagine what it will be like in a years time...

Any word on the NAND Performance yet and if google have cut corners here?

Who has said that the performance of the 4a is bad? Literally of the reviews have said the performance of the phone has been great.

Associate
MKBHD is one, @6.20

Pretty sure one or 2 others have said the same too but CBA going back to look and link them too

And this was taken from The Guardian:

Day-to-day performance was really good, matching the sort of smooth operation you would expect of top-spec phones from the last few years. Switching between apps, loading images, unlocking the phone and other bits was snappy; even games such as Real Racing 3 performed well.

And I’ve seen lots more reviews like that so it’s tit for tat at that point.

Last edited:
Associate
lol, why are you on this vendetta?

We’ve got two awesome phones in the Pixel 4a and Nord. It’s clear you prefer the Nord and I’m sure it will be a great device for you and those who choose to buy it and the same applies here.

There's no vendetta on my part. Absolute madness this. I'm simply stating the facts about battery life for the OnePlus Nord.

Associate
You may aswell have shown a documentary about flamingoes for all the relevance that video has to your actual claim re the Pixel 4's battery life being inferior... :confused:

Generally there's a 30 minute battery life difference between the K20 and its pro version from what I've seen before. The K20 uses the Snapdragon 730. Now since the 730G is a thirstier chip, it is reasonable to assume the battery life of the Pixel 4a is going to be less than that of a phone with 730 chip. Now the hidden variable is how Google has optimise battery life.

My actual claim was I didn't think the Pixel 4a had a better battery life than the Nord considering its lower battery capacity and less energy efficient chip.

Soldato
Generally there's a 30 minute battery life difference between the K20 and its pro version from what I've seen before. The K20 uses the Snapdragon 730. Now since the 730G is a thirstier chip, it is reasonable to assume the battery life of the Pixel 4a is going to be less than that of a phone with 730 chip. Now the hidden variable is how Google has optimise battery life.

My actual claim was I didn't think the Pixel 4a had a better battery life than the Nord considering its lower battery capacity and less energy efficient chip.

It's literally the exact same chip with a 125hz higher maximum frequency on the GPU. It won't be at 125hz higher all the time considering Adreno dynamically changes frequency unless something requests it to be either set to high or low via the cl_qcom_perf_hint extension.

Plus the Nord very well may have better battery life but OnePlus has been called out as the worst Android OEM for overly aggressive background limit policies.

Associate
I dont really mean in terms of build quality, more in relation to performance and camera. Especially as my S9 battery is past its best and its just developed a big bright white line down one side of the screen!
Performance is subjective on the mid range processors and dependent on the type of user. For day to day tasks you should be more than fine with the 4a but it won't be cutting edge blazing fast needless to say. Camera would be better yes. Battery should be good and has been reported to be decent. Again for the price I would say you would be more than happy.

Back
Top Bottom