**** The Official Google Pixel 4 Thread ****

Soldato
Yeah, around £320 with VAT on and given the current uncertainty and Brexit looming in 2021 pretty reasonable for them to have a cushion.

Soldato
Not to mention the 4a isn’t out until October in UK.

Yup. My first comment summed it up nicely for sure. Too little too late. You can buy far better products for the same/a fraction more. If they had of released this as intended before the Nord then no doubt it would sell well. But OnePlus have trumped them.

Am by no means a OnePlus fanboy either. I've never owned one and currently own a pixel but I have 2 eyes and a brain.

So this announcement is just a desperate move to potentially salvage some sales from Nord's official release tomorrow as Pixel won't be available for at least another month
Honestly I'm not sure if that's the case. USA don't get the nord phone so they don't have them to compete with over there, and honestly I'm not waiting until October for a pixel 4a. Ridiculous tbh to be such a slow time until they can release here. Why has other companies been able to deal with it?

Associate
Disappointed with October release date, that just seems so far in the future. Was very tempted to buy having assumed it would be shipping imminently. If I have to wait two months, then the possibility of 5g or pixel 5 closely following I'm not sure best path. Oppo nord looks good, but not impressed with the pictures I've seen so far and a good camera is really important for me.

Associate
Yup. My first comment summed it up nicely for sure. Too little too late. You can buy far better products for the same/a fraction more. If they had of released this as intended before the Nord then no doubt it would sell well. But OnePlus have trumped them.

Am by no means a OnePlus fanboy either. I've never owned one and currently own a pixel but I have 2 eyes and a brain.

While I agree that in an ideal world, they’d be releasing everywhere at the same time, October is only a couple of months away now. Much bigger things to be worrying about in today’s world than a phone release...

If Google had released the 4a earlier in the year and it was sub par, they’d have been panned by everyone online, much like they did with the P4 (and rightly so). So they delayed it, seemingly got it right going by the reviews and people are still annoyed? They can’t win.

Whether you think the Nord is better and that One Plus have “trumped” Google is of course your opinion. By all accounts the only things going for the Nord are the 90hz screen and potentially the processor and even then, most reviewers haven’t been bothered by the 4a having a 60hz screen and the performance with the 730G has been great.

I’m pleased that they’ve delivered with the 4a and at £350, should deliver excellent value in a time where people will be looking to make every penny count.

Soldato
Honestly I'm not sure if that's the case. USA don't get the nord phone so they don't have them to compete with over there, and honestly I'm not waiting until October for a pixel 4a. Ridiculous tbh to be such a slow time until they can release here. Why has other companies been able to deal with it?

Well there's still the European and Australian markets to consider, otherwise why announce something that's still over 6 weeks away from actual release.

Is it Foxconn who makes these like regular Pixel 4? Guessing Apple has the first dibs on their limited production resources but either way, poor showing from Google as I'm sure this was meant to get launched in May.

Biggest issue is that by October we'll know more information about Pixel 4a 5g and Pixel 5 so in my case, I'd rather keep waiting for those.

To speculate, guess we can expect 5g version to be the unofficial XL version of this with bigger screen and battery, possibly faster 765G SoC too as it's the midrange favourite for 5g phones.

Associate
Well there's still the European and Australian markets to consider, otherwise why announce something that's still over 6 weeks away from actual release.

Is it Foxconn who makes these like regular Pixel 4? Guessing Apple has the first dibs on their limited production resources but either way, poor showing from Google as I'm sure this was meant to get launched in May.

Biggest issue is that by October we'll know more information about Pixel 4a 5g and Pixel 5 so in my case, I'd rather keep waiting for those.

To speculate, guess we can expect 5g version to be the unofficial XL version of this with bigger screen and battery, possibly faster 765G SoC too as it's the midrange favourite for 5g phones.

The Pixel 4a is on sale in the US from 20 August. So manufacturing capacity is clearly isn't the issue. However, there's plenty of Pixel 3a stock in the UK. Just take a look at the Google UK store. Shockingly even Argos are still selling their Pixel 3a at full price as we speak. I suspect the Pixel 4a launch date was deliberately delayed in order for retailers to clear their Pixel 3a stocks in the UK.

Soldato
Well for those who don't want to wait, can just buy it from US Rainforest, by the time you pay shipping and taxes it works out the same price of £349.

Associate
Desperate measures by Google this seems. I can't see them slowing up the Nord sales, October is too little too late.

Well the Nord isn’t even available in the US where you’d expect the highest amount of sales so not quite sure how it’s desperate measures, but the pitchforks are out as always it seems.

Soldato
A great handset by Google, shame about the launch date. A tough choice between this and the Nord. If camera is what you want then no brainer, Pixel it is. For the rest, Nord wins.

Back
Top Bottom