**** The Official Google Pixel 4 Thread ****

Soldato
OK guys, sorry for the late reply, I’ve been abroad and just come back.

To address the points I was making about polish, I think what I am getting at here is a few years ago, the amount of features being added starts to slowly diminish as we run out of new ideas of what to do. At this point, for me, it should be about quality of life improvements like bug fixes and just making it a consistent and pleasant experience.

However, for me, Google don’t seem to have a clear vision of what they want to do, and where they want to be, which seems to be completely at odds with say, Apple, who add features only once they work properly.

Lets for example look at the difference between Apple’s and Google’s dark theme implementation (I might add that re-introducing dark mode need not have happened at all since they had a perfectly serviceable dark theme in the form of Holo back in the ICS days).

Apple’s is designed with carefully chosen dark hues that are easy on the eye. They made sure all of the Apple apps are themed in time for its main release (actually, they were mostly done for the beta), and not only that, they ensure that the user knows about it as soon as the OS is updated. They also offer an inbuilt facility to schedule the dark mode for dark hours. Finally, my understanding is that 3rd party developers will have to adhere to the OS concepts since they may be forced to remove the app completely from the store. This is a fantastically slick implementation compared with the Google version.

In contrast, on Android, half the apps aren’t even updated (gmail being a major omission, despite claims that it’s been rolled weeks ago, I STILL don’t have it), some of those that do have it are half baked - such as the Google Search where it is dark, but I have black text on a dark grey background on some of the suggestions, and sometimes the status bar icons and text also go black. Then when you actually do the search, its white! This one of the main parts of the OS, and it looks pathetic. There’s no scheduling possibilities unless resorting to hacks, and the design of the thing is heavy handed using pure blacks nearly everywhere, it just looks absolutely amateurish. It’s far worse than Windows Phone 7’s implementation that was more than a decade ago let alone Apple’s version. Finally unlike Apple google will not insist on any developer sticking to any standard, which is painfully obvious when you start using the 2 phones.

Even away from that it lacks polish. Some apps are still on Material Design 1, some are on 2. The new gestures system has broken existing gestures (like the side swipe for hamburger menus) or made it so being dumped back at the home screen or going back when you meant to scroll down happens a little too regularly for my comfort. It also doesn’t look great, on some apps it still takes up a small bar at the bottom rather than being full screen like an iPhone which looks even worse on a screen with curved edges as the top looks perfectly curved while the bottom is crudely cut off. Speaking of gestures, going back to the home screen, sometimes the animation is smooth, other times, its choppy. Also I noticed enabling the gestures means that buttons on the edge of the screen can be difficult to press as they often dont respond.

The new share screen is inconsistent, with apps appearing in different places, sometimes you need to scroll down, other times sideways, what a mess.

They STILL don’t have a decent Airdrop equivalent, and even if they do get on eventually we’ll have to wait for everyone else to get Android 10.

The bluetooth menu still only displays 3 devices once you go into settings, so half the time I STILL need to press again to get a full list of devices. In Android 8 you could use a simple menu from the notification toggles.

The music playing lockscreen looks awful and amateurish, it’s just a blurred colour of the album art which looks like I’m looking at it through a frosted glass window.

They still have not addressed the fingerprint sensor unlocking the phone when its in a pocket (OnePlus did introduce such a measure). Double tap to wake still doesn’t always work. They’ve made notifications more difficult to dismiss.

That’s not even addressing the long time bugs that still haven’t been fixed, like the Google search app back button behaviour being totally different if you happen to switch to some other app while reading an article on the news feed. In fact, the back button consistency generally has been awful ever since its inception. 10 major updates and no attempt made to fix it.

I’m really starting to feel Android 10 is Windows 10’s cousin on mobile now, and I don’t like it. Windows 10 is god awful as well.

I hope this helps clarify my position. In comparison, my iPad is stable, consistent and beautiful to use, not perfect, but a LOT better in nearly every aspect. Lets not even go there with Google’s laughable attempts at tablets (ex Pixel C owner here). Also where is the Pixel watch that matches the Apple Watch? Or the headphones?

You can have me down as a moaner all you want guys, and I realise this forum is full of complete Android fan-boys who can’t see the woods for the trees, but these issues are real to me, and have made me seriously take a look at Apple devices for the first time since the iPhone 4. That is clearly not a good thing. I have actually WANTED to take Google’s side in this little war, but they’ve made it so hard to like them. So yeah, along with their so-so software, their hardware which now lags behind most of the competition despite costing as much or more, they’ve practically held my hand and took me into the competitions eco-sphere!

All valid points, but until I can copy media/files from my PC to my phone without having to use third party software or iTunes then it's a no go.

For all the problems Android has, the restrictions of iOS are still too much.

Soldato

Erm... what? You've linked to one guy implementing it badly in his app? How is that an OS issue?

So... someone prefers their album art clear... that's on OS issue?

Just because you don’t notice or care about the issues does not mean they do not exist.

Tbf, if it's about personal preferences like how they want their album art, there are always going to be some with 'issues'...

Bluetooth: Good for you if you only need to connect your devices to a single device, that isn’t the case for me

I still don't get this. I change phones lots. I add a BT device it then auto connects. I use multiple BT devices, they all auto connect after the initial connection. Ever now and then, when I go to a different phone I have to go in to connect the new device back. I guess I don't fully understand your issue here.

Why I still have the phone? Because unfortunately I am not mega rich and can’t afford to drop a grand on a new phone every three months like some people ;)

I guess that is the problem with Apple isn't it.

Associate
All valid points, but until I can copy media/files from my PC to my phone without having to use third party software or iTunes then it's a no go.

For all the problems Android has, the restrictions of iOS are still too much.

I could be wrong here, but I think that is now possible as iOS 13 supports USB sticks, so you could do it that way.

I do get what you’re saying though, but for me the restrictions might not be that restrictive these days.

I still haven’t made up my mind yet, it may still come down to price, but if I don’t go for the iPhone then it’s no longer a given I will go for a Pixel.

Erm... what? You've linked to one guy implementing it badly in his app? How is that an OS issue?

So... someone prefers their album art clear... that's on OS issue?

Tbf, if it's about personal preferences like how they want their album art, there are always going to be some with 'issues'...

I still don't get this. I change phones lots. I add a BT device it then auto connects. I use multiple BT devices, they all auto connect after the initial connection. Ever now and then, when I go to a different phone I have to go in to connect the new device back. I guess I don't fully understand your issue here.

I guess that is the problem with Apple isn't it.

Back button, I really wanted a more recent article, anyway, here is another: https://pocketnow.com/androids-back-button
It’s an old article but still valid today. A real world example: I will use the Google feed on the left. Load an article from it. Then someone texts. I hop into the messaging app to reply. I then press back and it takes me back to the article. I then finish reading it, and press back to go back to the news feed. Instead, it dumps me back to the home screen, and sometimes, completely lose my place This is just one example.

If you’d seem the so called album art, then you would know it looks bloody awful, simple as. A 2 year old could have designed it better. But yeah, I get it, you clearly like things that look worse. Horses for courses. (and yes before you analyse every word, I know you didn’t literally say that, but you seem to imply it by the fact you bother to argue).

Bluetooth. If I connect say a pair of headphones first with an iPad, then no, that device will not just auto-connect to my phone (unless I re-pair). This is by design, otherwise the primary device would hijack the device. Or at least this is the way it works for me. So yes I have to go into the menu. They took away an easy way and gave us a less efficient way. Ergo, bad design choice.

I will happily pay more for a device without these issues (Apple) after suffering this for years with various Android devices. In the end, having a device that works properly and gets timely updates is trumping any supposed advantages Android devices have these days, FOR ME.

OK guys, sorry for the late reply, I’ve been abroad and just come back.

To address the points I was making about polish, I think what I am getting at here is a few years ago, the amount of features being added starts to slowly diminish as we run out of new ideas of what to do. At this point, for me, it should be about quality of life improvements like bug fixes and just making it a consistent and pleasant experience.

However, for me, Google don’t seem to have a clear vision of what they want to do, and where they want to be, which seems to be completely at odds with say, Apple, who add features only once they work properly.

Lets for example look at the difference between Apple’s and Google’s dark theme implementation (I might add that re-introducing dark mode need not have happened at all since they had a perfectly serviceable dark theme in the form of Holo back in the ICS days).

Apple’s is designed with carefully chosen dark hues that are easy on the eye. They made sure all of the Apple apps are themed in time for its main release (actually, they were mostly done for the beta), and not only that, they ensure that the user knows about it as soon as the OS is updated. They also offer an inbuilt facility to schedule the dark mode for dark hours. Finally, my understanding is that 3rd party developers will have to adhere to the OS concepts since they may be forced to remove the app completely from the store. This is a fantastically slick implementation compared with the Google version.

In contrast, on Android, half the apps aren’t even updated (gmail being a major omission, despite claims that it’s been rolled weeks ago, I STILL don’t have it), some of those that do have it are half baked - such as the Google Search where it is dark, but I have black text on a dark grey background on some of the suggestions, and sometimes the status bar icons and text also go black. Then when you actually do the search, its white! This one of the main parts of the OS, and it looks pathetic. There’s no scheduling possibilities unless resorting to hacks, and the design of the thing is heavy handed using pure blacks nearly everywhere, it just looks absolutely amateurish. It’s far worse than Windows Phone 7’s implementation that was more than a decade ago let alone Apple’s version. Finally unlike Apple google will not insist on any developer sticking to any standard, which is painfully obvious when you start using the 2 phones.

Even away from that it lacks polish. Some apps are still on Material Design 1, some are on 2. The new gestures system has broken existing gestures (like the side swipe for hamburger menus) or made it so being dumped back at the home screen or going back when you meant to scroll down happens a little too regularly for my comfort. It also doesn’t look great, on some apps it still takes up a small bar at the bottom rather than being full screen like an iPhone which looks even worse on a screen with curved edges as the top looks perfectly curved while the bottom is crudely cut off. Speaking of gestures, going back to the home screen, sometimes the animation is smooth, other times, its choppy. Also I noticed enabling the gestures means that buttons on the edge of the screen can be difficult to press as they often dont respond.

The new share screen is inconsistent, with apps appearing in different places, sometimes you need to scroll down, other times sideways, what a mess.

They STILL don’t have a decent Airdrop equivalent, and even if they do get on eventually we’ll have to wait for everyone else to get Android 10.

The bluetooth menu still only displays 3 devices once you go into settings, so half the time I STILL need to press again to get a full list of devices. In Android 8 you could use a simple menu from the notification toggles.

The music playing lockscreen looks awful and amateurish, it’s just a blurred colour of the album art which looks like I’m looking at it through a frosted glass window.

They still have not addressed the fingerprint sensor unlocking the phone when its in a pocket (OnePlus did introduce such a measure). Double tap to wake still doesn’t always work. They’ve made notifications more difficult to dismiss.

That’s not even addressing the long time bugs that still haven’t been fixed, like the Google search app back button behaviour being totally different if you happen to switch to some other app while reading an article on the news feed. In fact, the back button consistency generally has been awful ever since its inception. 10 major updates and no attempt made to fix it.

I’m really starting to feel Android 10 is Windows 10’s cousin on mobile now, and I don’t like it. Windows 10 is god awful as well.

I hope this helps clarify my position. In comparison, my iPad is stable, consistent and beautiful to use, not perfect, but a LOT better in nearly every aspect. Lets not even go there with Google’s laughable attempts at tablets (ex Pixel C owner here). Also where is the Pixel watch that matches the Apple Watch? Or the headphones?

You can have me down as a moaner all you want guys, and I realise this forum is full of complete Android fan-boys who can’t see the woods for the trees, but these issues are real to me, and have made me seriously take a look at Apple devices for the first time since the iPhone 4. That is clearly not a good thing. I have actually WANTED to take Google’s side in this little war, but they’ve made it so hard to like them. So yeah, along with their so-so software, their hardware which now lags behind most of the competition despite costing as much or more, they’ve practically held my hand and took me into the competitions eco-sphere!

agree with all this. i forget actually these bugs as they've been going on so long.

bluetooth is a right pain. it used to be much easier. as you say it's now click after click after click before you can get to where you want to be compared to before a long press in of the notifications quick settings icon to get a list of bt devices.

the back button behaviour changing is anonying too. sometimes back on chrome from say this thread takes me to google home, when in reality i had viewed the "watched threads" page before this, so the back button skips that, but not every time. just sometimes.

search for something, say to buy a product. view that page and start making a list. click back, and it's back to the search results, not the pages you've viewed on that site. this doesn't happen every time but sometimes, and when it does, you've lost everything you were doing on that site.

Associate
agree with all this. i forget actually these bugs as they've been going on so long.

bluetooth is a right pain. it used to be much easier. as you say it's now click after click after click before you can get to where you want to be compared to before a long press in of the notifications quick settings icon to get a list of bt devices.

the back button behaviour changing is anonying too. sometimes back on chrome from say this thread takes me to google home, when in reality i had viewed the "watched threads" page before this, so the back button skips that, but not every time. just sometimes.

search for something, say to buy a product. view that page and start making a list. click back, and it's back to the search results, not the pages you've viewed on that site. this doesn't happen every time but sometimes, and when it does, you've lost everything you were doing on that site.

You must be imagining it all just like me :D

Soldato
Back button, I really wanted a more recent article, anyway, here is another: https://pocketnow.com/androids-back-button
It’s an old article but still valid today.

So he says -

To get back to Gmail, one would expect that I’d just press the back button. In my case, you’d be wrong. It doesn’t work. I’m just looking at the home screen, my navigation history is apparently lost. I can press that button a dozen times, and it does absolutely nothing. Why is it even there in that case?

That I don't get. Why would the back button open the app? The back button works within an app, the way the app developer wants it to (hence why I can see there is confusion some times. Android allow for this open-ness and it can then be used in different ways that could confuse.) but to expect it to open an app back up that you left doesn't seem to make sense to me. In my view (so yes, this is all still opinion about how things should work) repeatedly pressing the back button should leave you on the home screen, not home screen -> last app -> home screen - last app.

Fair enough if it drops you out of an app unexpectedly, I still prefer it over iOS that doesn't even have a back button! That really annoys me tbh.

I also get your point with Bluetooth, but again, 'my opinion' is it's better with the last 3 showing and one press to see all, as it allows for all other BT options to be visible on the first screen.

Soldato
In other news, some people prefer different things to others. I find both android and Windows 10 (referring to FishLicker's post above) more than fine, and could not abide with MacOS or iOS. Doesn't mean that MacOS or iOS are terrible, just I don't like them.

There is some inconsistency with the back button - but this is down to android leaving it to 'open' for the developer to handle it. Even within Google's own apps there is some inconsistency, but I could counter it with another 10 things I don't like about iOS so I don't see the point in trying to argue the toss about which is better...nothing is perfect but some things suite people better than others.

Associate
Going to test this on my iPad tonight and if it does now work this is a game changer.

Dont know which iPad you’ve got, but later Pro’s have USB-C earlier ones have lightning so you will need an adapter. If I had one I would have tested it by now. :)

So he says -

That I don't get. Why would the back button open the app? The back button works within an app, the way the app developer wants it to (hence why I can see there is confusion some times. Android allow for this open-ness and it can then be used in different ways that could confuse.) but to expect it to open an app back up that you left doesn't seem to make sense to me. In my view (so yes, this is all still opinion about how things should work) repeatedly pressing the back button should leave you on the home screen, not home screen -> last app -> home screen - last app.

Fair enough if it drops you out of an app unexpectedly, I still prefer it over iOS that doesn't even have a back button! That really annoys me tbh.

I also get your point with Bluetooth, but again, 'my opinion' is it's better with the last 3 showing and one press to see all, as it allows for all other BT options to be visible on the first screen.

The intuitive way for a back button to work would be the same way every single time. That is the problem, it doesn’t. It can depend literally on the sequence of actions you take or how it’s been programmed in the app. Therefore, until we are completely familiar with the OS, there is no way someone can accurately predict what it will do.

The bluetooth seems to fail to always list the most recent devices in my top 3. I don’t know why they had to get rid of the menu. Dumbing down the interface at a time iOS is actually advancing.

Both OS’s are not perfect but I feel like Google are not progressing as well as Apple at this point.

You seem to imply that because you don’t notice any issues that someone else who does just likes to moan, hence the whole ‘imagining it’ thing...

Finally if I do get one then yes I will try my best to enjoy it, thanks.

Soldato
One thing to consider is that Google needs to create OS that works on hundreds of different devices worth very little to top of the range ones that cost over £1k. Apple on other hand are in full control of hardware they want to use and how much they'll charge for the product.

Soldato
Dont know which iPad you’ve got, but later Pro’s have USB-C earlier ones have lightning so you will need an adapter. If I had one I would have tested it by now.

Don't have the newest gen so still got lightning connector but I will check with SMB. My mate confirmed it works just need to try coping files to iPad and if that works it's made me interested in the iPhone again.

Soldato
Feels like I just read 2 pages of off topic comments :D does it always have to come back to apple v android ?

Surely we can all agree both do some things better and worse than the other and leave it at that ?

Associate
Oh, that makes the iPhone a possibility for me.
Loved my first gen iPod touch as a piece of physical and GUI design, hated iTunes.
Althouy itching for 5G and zoom lense.

I must admit I think I'm going to rule myself out of getting the pixel 4 now. I'm having more trouble with the 2xl again, the search bar breaks at least once a day where it will not respond to any search query (it doesn't offer any suggestions and pressing enter doesn't do anything) and I have to restart my phone to get it working again.

Ever since I got this phone it's been plagued with mostly minor but irritating bugs and I've just had enough of being Google's beta tester. Unlike what some individuals of this forum would have you believe I am not the only one to have had issues with pixel phones and bugs. Heck even JTL in painfully honest tech on YouTube touched upon it the other day in his pixel video. And the worse thing is it's either not improving or getting worse as time goes on. Vanilla android isn't the draw it used to be, rivals are seemingly beating the big G at their own game at the moment.

Not for me I'm afraid, as a dragon would say, I'm out!

Soldato
Got an upgrade due in a few weeks and really tempted to go with the Pixel 4, have had the Pixel 2 since release and can't fault it at all...except, build quality. Previously I had a Galaxy S1, S2, S5 and S7, all of which during their few years of ownership hardly had a mark anywhere on the body or screen.

By contrast, my Pixel 2 has a lot of small chips around the edges, not really majorly noticeable but when you have a look, they become quite prominent. Add to that I have a small hair width scratch of a few MM on the screen, again, the Galaxy S series never had a single mark on the screens when i finished using them.

Has the build quality on the Galaxy's made my expectations too high. Am I likely to be just as annoyed with the Pixel 4. I'm considering moving back to Samsung with the release of the S11 next year. I also like the idea of having a spectrometer built into the camera although I believe this is just rumour at the moment.

Soldato
Most definitely going to wait for reviews of the battery life before committing to the 4xl. Having got used to the 4200mha battery on my mate 20 pro I’m guessing it’s not going to be anywhere near as good...hopefully google will prove me wrong.

Back
Top Bottom