**** The Official Google Pixel 4 Thread ****

Hoping pricing is wrong. If not the statagy is wrong. If Google want to eat into the market they should knock these out at cost price. Now I understand that is not a great business plan..... However the revenue they make off the app store. Adds and linked into Google products makes the pixel profit next to nothing anyway.

but a product sold through samsung would also achieve that. in fact samsung would pay to use google apps, then users download google apps, pay for apps in the app store, view ads etc, so they'd make more from samsung than pixel. why would they bother to have a low price?

you could say someone may who may have got a pixel would go iphone, perhaps there's some, but any way, people don't buy apps like they used to, and if that user has an iphone app that has adverts in it, guess who's likely the company showing those ads. google.

Soldato
Battery, price, no wide angle. No bueno.

I swapped to an iPhone when the iPhone 7 came out, as I wanted to be a little more in touch with what's going on in Apple's operating system (was working in a lot of mobile based work projects at the time and felt disconnected from the iOS user's needs). I've been gagging to get back to an Android phone, waiting on just the right one since then, and I was hoping that the Pixel 4 would be coming to my rescue. It seems I'll wait until whatever come out next year :(

Soldato
If those price leaks are true then I'm defo waiting for Black Friday. I should probably wait anyway TBH as the prices always seem to get discounted then.

Yep

Only an idiot would buy a pixel from google at launch. Every year, pixels drop by literally hundreds two months after release.
It was the same last year with the 3 and 3XL. Black friday had some stupid deals from the carriers, and even google themselves dropped them (I remember in the US, it was buy one get one free, or maybe 50%)....the UK got some good deals too.

Associate
Not saying anyone is wrong with their comments, but every single year once we hear the latest pixel price everyone starts saying its too high, rubbish this and that. Then the made by Google event happens and all of a sudden everyone's preordering. Again not saying anyone is wrong. I agree £1k for a phone is stupid, however is Google entirely to blame? I remember when brexit happened we were told of tech going up 30 percent. In the last 3 years seems about right. I will not be surprised is the price in pounds is the same as it is in dollars.

Definitely think Google are getting the pixel wrong. Every year I hope they learn from their mistakes, but next year they just end up making more.

I'm now realising with android 10 on my pixel 2 that having the latest android is no longer exciting or required.

I've gone Google nexus/pixel almost entirely because of pure android and speedy updates. Buying a Samsung with 1 version old android on it isn't an issue like it used to be.

Definitely feel the same way as you.

Not going to complain about price as they're all at it and virtually no android device ever holds its value so you just wait it out.

What I am consistently disappointed with every year is the way Google make no attempts to deliver a class leading piece of hardware, and hope they can get around it with software.

Problem is their software is getting shoddier and less polished by the year. I'm not that impressed with android 10. In contrast my iPad just got iPad OS and what a huge improvement iOS 13 seems overall.

In some respects I would now say that rather than doing the likes of Samsung down for not having a stock android option, I would actually now say it works in their favour as at least the end user gets a relatively polished if bloated OS.

Very tempted to jump ship but we will see what the next couple of months does.

Associate
Isn't the 4 being made by what was the 'HTC Chain'

I read that the previous staff/divisions were almost setup to fail with the 3, targets that weren't reachable so they could dismiss them and allow the HTC branch to take over going forward?

Soldato
Problem is their software is getting shoddier and less polished by the year.

In my opinion this is rubbish. Maybe you've only been using Android for a couple of years or maybe you're just upset there isn't as much to improve on, but it's become so much more polished over the last few years, probably between Android 4.0 and 6.0 it made huge bounds and more recently it has mainly just been polish...

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Indeed, don't forget that he is the one that seems to have so many more issues than everyone else too... ;)

In my opinion this is rubbish. Maybe you've only been using Android for a couple of years or maybe you're just upset there isn't as much to improve on, but it's become so much more polished over the last few years, probably between Android 4.0 and 6.0 it made huge bounds and more recently it has mainly just been polish...
Between 9 to 10, what can you say is more polished?

I'm not seeing much difference. A few tweaks sure. Debatable if tweeks are better or worse. But polish I'm not seeing.

Soldato
I can't really answer that as I've not played with 10 much, just a Beta of OnePlus' version of it, and I didn't say that 10 added lots of polish over 9...

It's definitely more polished as an OS right now than it was years ago, which is the point I'm arguing.

So, on the actual point, in what way would you say it is less polished than years ago?

Soldato
Definitely feel the same way as you.

Not going to complain about price as they're all at it and virtually no android device ever holds its value so you just wait it out.

What I am consistently disappointed with every year is the way Google make no attempts to deliver a class leading piece of hardware, and hope they can get around it with software.

Problem is their software is getting shoddier and less polished by the year. I'm not that impressed with android 10. In contrast my iPad just got iPad OS and what a huge improvement iOS 13 seems overall.

In some respects I would now say that rather than doing the likes of Samsung down for not having a stock android option, I would actually now say it works in their favour as at least the end user gets a relatively polished if bloated OS.

Very tempted to jump ship but we will see what the next couple of months does.

I agree

Googles services are fantastic though, which usually keeps me stuck with android. It's not very polished though....epecially compared with ios13. Just look at dark mode for instance.

I can't really answer that as I've not played with 10 much, just a Beta of OnePlus' version of it, and I didn't say that 10 added lots of polish over 9...

It's definitely more polished as an OS right now than it was years ago, which is the point I'm arguing.

So, on the actual point, in what way would you say it is less polished than years ago?

I was the one first making the point thar android is getting less and less changes that having the latest update the month its released is no longer "needed" like it used to be. I thought the guy agreed with me, not that he felt it gets less and less polished.

I disagree that it gets less polished, though perhaps he meant what I was saying, that the amount of polish it gets is less each year.

So from 5 to 6 to 7 there was huge amounts of polish, it now is less from 9 to 10

Soldato
Okay... you understand I quoted something specifically he said... but never mind then I guess.

You also understand, once you've polished something, it doesn't look better when you keep polishing it ;) (Yes, I'm messing about here, but it also has a little truth. Once something starts to look good, there isn't much space for improvement like there used to be)

Okay... you understand I quoted something specifically he said... but never mind then I guess.

You also understand, once you've polished something, it doesn't look better when you keep polishing it ;) (Yes, I'm messing about here, but it also has a little truth. Once something starts to look good, there isn't much space for improvement like there used to be)

yes my b. as he quoted me, i didn't pick up on the bit he said it gets less polished.

you're right. it doesn't need much polish any more. it needs nothing. and as a result the appeal of stock android with quick speedy updates is going. pixel/nexus lines had this as a big selling point for me, and it's no longer really a thing. i may for the first time since the nexus 4 go with something not "made by google" and get an s10 as it's far more beautiful and has android 9, which is almost identical to android 10.

software is pixels biggest selling point. but there's no big software update.

it's similar to browser war years ago. i remember every update was a big improvement and quickly made the older version feel old. then every browswer just got good and no longer do i care nor look forward to browser updates. phone os have all gone the same. not saying this is anyones fault, and is more a compliment in the speed they've gone from terrible os's to what they can do now, but every year it's no longer a selling point like it used to be.

Associate

yes my b. as he quoted me, i didn't pick up on the bit he said it gets less polished.

you're right. it doesn't need much polish any more. it needs nothing. and as a result the appeal of stock android with quick speedy updates is going. pixel/nexus lines had this as a big selling point for me, and it's no longer really a thing. i may for the first time since the nexus 4 go with something not "made by google" and get an s10 as it's far more beautiful and has android 9, which is almost identical to android 10.

software is pixels biggest selling point. but there's no big software update.

it's similar to browser war years ago. i remember every update was a big improvement and quickly made the older version feel old. then every browswer just got good and no longer do i care nor look forward to browser updates. phone os have all gone the same. not saying this is anyones fault, and is more a compliment in the speed they've gone from terrible os's to what they can do now, but every year it's no longer a selling point like it used to be.

OK guys, sorry for the late reply, I’ve been abroad and just come back.

To address the points I was making about polish, I think what I am getting at here is a few years ago, the amount of features being added starts to slowly diminish as we run out of new ideas of what to do. At this point, for me, it should be about quality of life improvements like bug fixes and just making it a consistent and pleasant experience.

However, for me, Google don’t seem to have a clear vision of what they want to do, and where they want to be, which seems to be completely at odds with say, Apple, who add features only once they work properly.

Lets for example look at the difference between Apple’s and Google’s dark theme implementation (I might add that re-introducing dark mode need not have happened at all since they had a perfectly serviceable dark theme in the form of Holo back in the ICS days).

Apple’s is designed with carefully chosen dark hues that are easy on the eye. They made sure all of the Apple apps are themed in time for its main release (actually, they were mostly done for the beta), and not only that, they ensure that the user knows about it as soon as the OS is updated. They also offer an inbuilt facility to schedule the dark mode for dark hours. Finally, my understanding is that 3rd party developers will have to adhere to the OS concepts since they may be forced to remove the app completely from the store. This is a fantastically slick implementation compared with the Google version.

In contrast, on Android, half the apps aren’t even updated (gmail being a major omission, despite claims that it’s been rolled weeks ago, I STILL don’t have it), some of those that do have it are half baked - such as the Google Search where it is dark, but I have black text on a dark grey background on some of the suggestions, and sometimes the status bar icons and text also go black. Then when you actually do the search, its white! This one of the main parts of the OS, and it looks pathetic. There’s no scheduling possibilities unless resorting to hacks, and the design of the thing is heavy handed using pure blacks nearly everywhere, it just looks absolutely amateurish. It’s far worse than Windows Phone 7’s implementation that was more than a decade ago let alone Apple’s version. Finally unlike Apple google will not insist on any developer sticking to any standard, which is painfully obvious when you start using the 2 phones.

Even away from that it lacks polish. Some apps are still on Material Design 1, some are on 2. The new gestures system has broken existing gestures (like the side swipe for hamburger menus) or made it so being dumped back at the home screen or going back when you meant to scroll down happens a little too regularly for my comfort. It also doesn’t look great, on some apps it still takes up a small bar at the bottom rather than being full screen like an iPhone which looks even worse on a screen with curved edges as the top looks perfectly curved while the bottom is crudely cut off. Speaking of gestures, going back to the home screen, sometimes the animation is smooth, other times, its choppy. Also I noticed enabling the gestures means that buttons on the edge of the screen can be difficult to press as they often dont respond.

The new share screen is inconsistent, with apps appearing in different places, sometimes you need to scroll down, other times sideways, what a mess.

They STILL don’t have a decent Airdrop equivalent, and even if they do get on eventually we’ll have to wait for everyone else to get Android 10.

The bluetooth menu still only displays 3 devices once you go into settings, so half the time I STILL need to press again to get a full list of devices. In Android 8 you could use a simple menu from the notification toggles.

The music playing lockscreen looks awful and amateurish, it’s just a blurred colour of the album art which looks like I’m looking at it through a frosted glass window.

They still have not addressed the fingerprint sensor unlocking the phone when its in a pocket (OnePlus did introduce such a measure). Double tap to wake still doesn’t always work. They’ve made notifications more difficult to dismiss.

That’s not even addressing the long time bugs that still haven’t been fixed, like the Google search app back button behaviour being totally different if you happen to switch to some other app while reading an article on the news feed. In fact, the back button consistency generally has been awful ever since its inception. 10 major updates and no attempt made to fix it.

I’m really starting to feel Android 10 is Windows 10’s cousin on mobile now, and I don’t like it. Windows 10 is god awful as well.

I hope this helps clarify my position. In comparison, my iPad is stable, consistent and beautiful to use, not perfect, but a LOT better in nearly every aspect. Lets not even go there with Google’s laughable attempts at tablets (ex Pixel C owner here). Also where is the Pixel watch that matches the Apple Watch? Or the headphones?

You can have me down as a moaner all you want guys, and I realise this forum is full of complete Android fan-boys who can’t see the woods for the trees, but these issues are real to me, and have made me seriously take a look at Apple devices for the first time since the iPhone 4. That is clearly not a good thing. I have actually WANTED to take Google’s side in this little war, but they’ve made it so hard to like them. So yeah, along with their so-so software, their hardware which now lags behind most of the competition despite costing as much or more, they’ve practically held my hand and took me into the competitions eco-sphere!

Soldato
I honestly don't think I have most of the issues you mention. Back button problems? Blurred album art? I don't need to use my list of Bluetooth devices, they auto connect. Airdrop could be a fair point, they had one and stopped it. Not that I really ever need or want to use it. FPS in pocket... you're the only person I know with this issue. I recently bought a Huawei MediaPad M5 and much prefer it to my work provided iPad (although this is quite old now, but I never got the appeal. Yes, nice hardware, but I actually hate their app store. eg, there was no Instagram for iPad... there might be now I guess).

Yes, you are a moaner :p but I get that they are issues to you. I honestly don't know why you still have that phone...

Associate
Back
Top Bottom