**** The Official Google Pixel 4 Thread ****

Soldato
If they had a special edition with 8GB of RAM and a larger battery I would be highly tempted.

The 6gb RAM is the most disappointing element, since it shows that Pixel design is still ruled by bean counters.

Either that or Google is trying to pretend that stock Android is as streamlined as iOS and therefore can run on minimal amounts of RAM. I don’t think anyone is fooled. Just put 8gb in your premium smartphone for god’s sake!

Soldato
They just seem to have this philosophy of underspeccing the phones like Apple, but just not having the software experience to back their decisions up.

Would be fine having lower spec batteries, RAM, etc if they could make up for it with better efficiencies in the software like Apple phones but it just doesn't translate into real life. Lot of reports of woeful battery life, RAM management issues and so on.

Also be very disappointing if second camera is indeed telephoto rather than UWA, I would have thought they go with latter since they have they digital zoom tech that's pretty decent.

Soldato
We have not had the ram or battery capacity released yet. Hoping it will be 8gb ... No reason why not even if it's not needed.

6gb and 3700mAh are the rumours doing the rounds. Not official, of course, but it’s rare a phone gets released without all its major specs being leaked weeks or months in advance.

Associate
We have not had the ram or battery capacity released yet. Hoping it will be 8gb ... No reason why not even if it's not needed.
According to 9-5 google of a spec sheet they’ve seen

2800 mAh for Pixel 4
3700 mAh for Pixel 4 XL

Battery size for smaller pixel isn’t impressive, especially considering it’ll have a 90hz display, which will definitely zap some battery. Although I reckon they’ll go for a variable rate like Apple does on the iPad, rather than the fixed rate on the OnePlus for battery conservation purposes.

Soldato
OP
It is all down to price for me now. If they price it like a flagship, I'm not going to touch it, but if it is reasonable, it'll be worth picking up just for programming.

Soldato
Some talk about Google developing "DSLR style attachment" for the Pixel 4, wonder what that could be. Ultra wide lens like those from Moment?

Soldato
I'm confident that it'll be priced to similar flagship models from the likes of Samsung etc, especially when you consider the additional hardware effort supposedly being put in based on rumors. 90hz screen, face unlock through dedicated hardware and soli.

Not sure how I feel about the Pixel 4 (I've been a Pixel user through the P2 and P3) as my biggest gripe is with battery life. Doesn't bode well that there's going to be a smaller battery in the P4 Vs the P3 and there's going to be additional hardware to power such as the all the face recognition sensors/dot projector and that 90hz screen.

I may wait it out 6 months after the launch as Pixel prices do tend to fall fast relatively speaking to other flagship devices. I was tempted by the P30 Pro at one point but was put off by the main camera performance with poor post processing, hopefully this is something they fix with the Mate 30 series as that's rumoured to have a ridiculously large sensor.

Soldato
Battery life is my main gripe too along with the ease at which the top earpiece accumulates with gunk. I really hope they find a way to improve on this.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Yeah sounds like it. Nothing to get super excited about but a nice think to have. Will be the first time you've had manual control on a Pixel device.

Soldato
So manual mode that everyone else offers :p
But attached to the best camera / camera software on a smartphone? Yes please.
Right now the battery size is the main hurdle for me... 3700 really doesn't seem adequate for a "big phone" running Android unless Google have really improved drain via software.

Soldato
I am quite excited about this phone now. Watched some interesting stuff on gesture control and Google's ideas around the eco system they are creating.

Looking forward to the release and seeing some of the features come in. I am not to concerned by battery and ram just yet.

Soldato
The battery on my Pixel 2 XL consumes 50% on an average day so battery life definitely not an issue for me; I'm just hoping the notch isn't horrendous like the 3 XL because if it wasn't for that then I'd own one right now.

Soldato
The battery on my Pixel 2 XL consumes 50% on an average day so battery life definitely not an issue for me; I'm just hoping the notch isn't horrendous like the 3 XL because if it wasn't for that then I'd own one right now.

Yeah people say about the notch... But you know you can turn it off right ?

I have the 3XL and my wife has my P2XL I agree not worth the upgrade I have had my notch turned off for quite a while

Back
Top Bottom