**** The Official Google Pixel 4 Thread ****

V_R

V_R

Soldato

So, about 4K60 on the Pixel 4: the limited storage may not be the only reason why it isn't supported. Thread:

If you add 4K60 as a supported media profile in /vendor/etc/ media profiles.xml, you can unlock the 60fps option in GCam. Record a video and you'll quickly notice that the FPS fails to exceed 38. (1 tested this and the results weren't pretty.)

GCam modder savitar/defcomg said the Pixel 4 connects to both cameras at once in all modes, likely to allow for seamless switching betwen lenses when zooming. Because of this, the ISP in the 855 can't handle recording 4K60 on the main and 1080p60 on the secondary.

if you calculate the bandwidth used for 4K60 and use that value to account for 4K38, the remainder matches the IMX481's binned resolution at almost 60fps. 3840216060 497,664,000 3840/2160/38 182,476,800 / 2328/1310 59.38fps

In theory, if you found a way to kill the tele lens while using GCam, you should be able to record 4K60.

Again, thanks to savitar/defcomg and @Cstark 27 for the research/analysis.

Soldato
I claimed my Chromebook and had it accepted. They don't seem that strict as it was 10 days after delivery.

They must just go on when you ordered it rather than delivery ? I wonder if it will really take 60 days or if we see them much sooner.

I want to give mine to my nephew for Christmas.

What do people see as a reason to get the 4xl over the 3xl?

Im not sure if the 3xl can be bought new sim only any more, but I might just accept that I'll go with that and wait for hopefully a good pixel 5 (unlikely given the direction pixel are going).

I was thinking the s10 but I'd miss the aod and the now playing on lock screen feature

Associate
The S10 has AOD. I wouldn't rule out a phone because it didn't have the often useless now playing thing (which only seems to work on popular music).

As for the 3XL v 4XL, the latter has FaceID instead of fingperprint (which AFAIK isn't supported by any UK banks yet), 6Gb of RAM, no notch, soli (mostly useless), a telephoto lens and that's about all I can think of. Edit: I forgot about the voice to text dictation, custom theme support and onboard Google Assistant processing.

Have you thought about the 3a / 3aXL instead? Might be cheaper again and with less issues than the 3XL which has built up a rather unenviable reputation for poor battery life and RAM management.

Last edited:
Soldato
What do people see as a reason to get the 4xl over the 3xl?

Im not sure if the 3xl can be bought new sim only any more, but I might just accept that I'll go with that and wait for hopefully a good pixel 5 (unlikely given the direction pixel are going).

I was thinking the s10 but I'd miss the aod and the now playing on lock screen feature[/QUOTE

I went from the 3xl to the 4xl

Yeah you could argue the imporvements are minimal. However screen is better in general. Sharper. No notch and the 90htz is beautiful.

I am pleased and no regrets. Unless you can get a 3xl cheap I would say the 4xl is a better bet.

Saying that I sold my 3xl to a mate for £250 so if you pick one up sub £300 and no black black deals then that's a good option as well.

Soldato
3XL to 4 is a small upgrade, but there are things that bugged me with the 3XL that are fixed

Ram management is much better due to the 6GB
Bluetooth is reliable - the 3XL often disconnected all BT devices when you turn a wifi hotspot on/off
No notch
Better screen
Everything feels smoother and quicker to use

Sold my 3XL for £350 on the bay and glad I did :)

V_R

V_R

Soldato
The S10 has AOD. I wouldn't rule out a phone because it didn't have the often useless now playing thing (which only seems to work on popular music).
Its far from useless, its one of my favourite features of the Pixel line. It picks up some real random stuff for me, I don't tend to listen to much pop music. ;)

Associate
Its far from useless, its one of my favourite features of the Pixel line. It picks up some real random stuff for me, I don't tend to listen to much pop music. ;)

It is good when it works I agree, maybe the stuff I listen to is just too rare for it to pick up, although I don't believe it's that rare personally, all I'm saying is I wouldn't rule out a phone just because it didn't have it. I'm with you on the pop music thing, most modern stuff is so bad I'd rather be deaf! :)

Soldato
Very disappointing camera review from AnandTech

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15068/the-google-pixel-4-xl-review said:
The problem for me is, that I have a hard time actually really differentiating the Pixel cameras to what other vendors are offering. Google has some edges here and there in the processing, but sometimes also falls behind. Generally, I feel that Google hasn’t caught up with Samsung, Huawei and Apple in the capture experience.

Back
Top Bottom