**** The Official Google Pixel 4 Thread ****

Soldato
As for the 3XL v 4XL, the latter has FaceID instead of fingperprint (which AFAIK isn't supported by any UK banks yet)

Very true, I'm hammering the banks via app reviews and support and pointing out that they are using a deprecated API for authentication when they should be using the new biometric one introduced in Android 10. The FaceID thingy works extremely well if you use a password manager. Any website or app where it asks you to log in, the password manager pops up, you're already looking at the phone so boom it autocompletes and logs you in. It works even better when the credentials are spread out on separate pages as the password manager captures this. No more multiple fingerprint tapping.

At this point I think I'm prepared to say that if you're not using a password manager (just pick the one that suits you as long as it supports biometrics) then you're missing out when it comes to the P4/P4XL. The FaceID makes it brilliant.

Associate
Very true, I'm hammering the banks via app reviews and support and pointing out that they are using a deprecated API for authentication when they should be using the new biometric one introduced in Android 10. The FaceID thingy works extremely well if you use a password manager. Any website or app where it asks you to log in, the password manager pops up, you're already looking at the phone so boom it autocompletes and logs you in. It works even better when the credentials are spread out on separate pages as the password manager captures this. No more multiple fingerprint tapping.

At this point I think I'm prepared to say that if you're not using a password manager (just pick the one that suits you as long as it supports biometrics) then you're missing out when it comes to the P4/P4XL. The FaceID makes it brilliant.

I asked TSB if they would be using the face unlock on the pixel and they said they won't..

Associate

keep at them! :)

I use keepass4android not sure if that’s supported as I don’t have a pixel 4 to test but in general terms it’s clunkier to use than the likes of last pass albeit arguably slightly more secure for the tin foil brigade.

I asked TSB if they would be using the face unlock on the pixel and they said they won't..

An attitude like that is going to cost them customers. If they’re fine with this then they can go knock themselves out. Additionally if Samsung start using it watch them change their tune.

Soldato
Associate
This is also my beef. I think the iPhone is, honestly, superb. I just don't think much of iOS, in fact, having used one for over a month now, its actually starting to annoy me in more ways than one. It's also no more reliable than a properly working android device (i.e. not mine!); I still have some issues with bluetooth and music playback even on this. That battery is tremendous though, the XR, I forgot to charge on Friday and Saturday night and it still had 23% left on Sunday morning. I then went out all day and still had 10% left. I'd love battery life like that on android.

Associate
iOS is what makes the iPhone great, running Android on iPhone would give the same effect.

It is if you LIKE iOS.... I respect the iPhone for its great hardware and well optimised software... but I just don't like using it. The cartoony icons, lack of any real customisation on the home screen, unicorns on the keyboard, the keyboard being inferior generally (I've backtracked on that opinion, I used to think it was good, extended use has changed my mind), the way things seem pared back but at the same time, quite unintuitive at certain times, the restrictions you get unless you jailbreak, the annoying notifications, all these are things I hadn't thought about until I used it as a daily driver for over a month.

I'm sure FSTAIN meant he would like the current iPhone hardware running Android would be his dream combo, but as you imply the battery life would no longer be the massive selling point it is now.

The choice as it turns out is simple. Do you want a phone that does more, at the expense of battery life, or battery life at the expense of outright ability...

If there's anything I've learned over the last 2 months it's that the grass isn't always greener!

Soldato
It is if you LIKE iOS.... I respect the iPhone for its great hardware and well optimised software... but I just don't like using it. The cartoony icons, lack of any real customisation on the home screen, unicorns on the keyboard, the keyboard being inferior generally (I've backtracked on that opinion, I used to think it was good, extended use has changed my mind), the way things seem pared back but at the same time, quite unintuitive at certain times, the restrictions you get unless you jailbreak, the annoying notifications, all these are things I hadn't thought about until I used it as a daily driver for over a month.

I'm sure FSTAIN meant he would like the current iPhone hardware running Android would be his dream combo, but as you imply the battery life would no longer be the massive selling point it is now.

The choice as it turns out is simple. Do you want a phone that does more, at the expense of battery life, or battery life at the expense of outright ability...

If there's anything I've learned over the last 2 months it's that the grass isn't always greener!

It's the OS which makes everything else work so seamlessly. The battery life that you talk about is down to the optimization of the OS itself, not in particular the physical battery itself. The more interesting combination would be to be able to run iOS on a flagship Android phone of 2019, not the other way around.

I'm aware of what he meant but apart from the CPU and Camera there is nothing else to really boast about, and even those are questionable as to what extent you are going to notice the performance difference of the CPU with the likes of the SD 855+.

The dream combination IMO is stock android with iOS levels of optimization on a Samsung/Huawei flagship hardware. Throw in the dedicated Google chip for camera processing for good measure.

The standby time and minimal battery drain on iOS is unrivaled, Android has been behind in this area for many many years.

Soldato
The standby time and minimal battery drain on iOS is unrivaled, Android has been behind in this area for many many years.
This is why just a few days ago I took delivery of an iPhone Xs off the OCUK MM. For the first time since the Samsung S2 days I have returned to iOS for mobiles (already got an iPad Pro). Going to give my S8+ to my father to replace his Moto G4. Already had more SoT than my S8+ could give me and I'm using a smaller device.

I'm sick of Google outright and the android experience after such a long time. Sick of the OS that continues to deliver 4-5hrs of SoT. In my eyes Google just don't have any clear vision as to wtf Android is to be and after 4 sodding phones they still can't get things right. Qualcomm can do one for holding android hostage too.

I've always agreed to FishLicker's opinions and I am already seeing quirks that made me jb my iPhone 4 years ago...Four flippin icons on the dock STILL?! Wat year is it?!

It's the OS which makes everything else work so seamlessly. The battery life that you talk about is down to the optimization of the OS itself, not in particular the physical battery itself. The more interesting combination would be to be able to run iOS on a flagship Android phone of 2019, not the other way around.

I'm aware of what he meant but apart from the CPU and Camera there is nothing else to really boast about, and even those are questionable as to what extent you are going to notice the performance difference of the CPU with the likes of the SD 855+.

The dream combination IMO is stock android with iOS levels of optimization on a Samsung/Huawei flagship hardware. Throw in the dedicated Google chip for camera processing for good measure.

The screen, the design, the material its made of, the cameras etc can be argued regardless of OS.

Samsung have ticked these boxes well as has iPhone apartment form the notch, but pixel I don't think so in any of these does it excel.

Sometimes having 90hz is the only thing I can say is better, but its let down by the big for head and poor brightness levels.

Soldato
This is why just a few days ago I took delivery of an iPhone Xs off the OCUK MM. For the first time since the Samsung S2 days I have returned to iOS for mobiles (already got an iPad Pro). Going to give my S8+ to my father to replace his Moto G4. Already had more SoT than my S8+ could give me and I'm using a smaller device.

I'm sick of Google outright and the android experience after such a long time. Sick of the OS that continues to deliver 4-5hrs of SoT. In my eyes Google just don't have any clear vision as to wtf Android is to be and after 4 sodding phones they still can't get things right. Qualcomm can do one for holding android hostage too.

I've always agreed to FishLicker's opinions and I am already seeing quirks that made me jb my iPhone 4 years ago...Four flippin icons on the dock STILL?! Wat year is it?!

What's wrong with the Android OS ? I use both apple and Android. Both have bugs and quirks. However I can do a heck of a lot more on Android (personally)

Soldato
What's wrong with the Android OS ? I use both apple and Android. Both have bugs and quirks. However I can do a heck of a lot more on Android (personally)
There's plenty wrong and yes both OS's have their issues however I don't want to go OT here. I had been hoping that the Pixel 4 would have 'the one' to really challenge the iPhone. I just wasn't at all impressed by what emerged.

Back
Top Bottom