***The Official Guitar Thread***

Anyone used a Peterson Stomp HD?

The 28.625" scale length seems to need precise tuning to sound in tune/intonate. Currently I'm tuning to 0.1Hz steps using a computer programme but it's faff to load and run. The stomp hd is 0.1% which I presume is divide a fret in 1000. So at it's highest notes (most problematical) I calculate that the stomp would be accurate to 74Hz/1000 or 0.074Hz accuracy, so in short it should be 0.1Hz which is good.
I've noted I can be about 0.3Hz out (ie about 0.4-0.5%) which sounds 'wrong'/flat/sharp etc.

So what are they like to use (ignoring the geeky maths)?

Last edited:
Are you sure this is a tuning and not an intonaton issue? i.e. how is your nut, how precise are your frets, etc.

Longer scale length should be more forgiving of intonation, in general.

At 66 the chances of me getting in another band is slim but do I really want to play to mostly unappreciative people anyway?
Nick's Stomp post (how much for a tuner! :eek: :D ) caught my attention as I was wandering through the forum, so I'm glad he gave me chance to see I've missed posts to the thread. Cheers Nick!

Where to begin with this though? I'm having a pretty complicated time with music at the moment too, but in a kind of inverse way. I've had a guitar since I was 18, but it was only when a combination of Mum's dementia, giving up work to look after her, and YouTube came together that I made any progress whatsoever. And when I say progress, nothing like the kind of polished playing and performing I've seen in this thread over the years. The most complicated thing I've done since Mum died and I started putting myself about a bit is help out at the local church (I'm not a Christian, but they were good to my Mum) where a bloke with a big recorder #NotAEuphemism plays in my ear while I try to bodge chords. And I sometimes go to care homes with an older bloke who plays the piano. But we usually keep things separate, because playing together well is hard! I admire bands, and their coordination and discipline, but... it must be a very "complicated" kind of performing, given the various factors bringing players/singers together to put on a decent gig for folk who seldom shut up for long in a social environment.

I am familiar with performing while people get on with a variety of other things. At a recent summer fair at a care home complex I had to compete with a tombola stall next to me, a petting Shetland pony, and a variety of kids who kept getting too close to the speaker, causing me to play quietly in case I damage someone's hearing. I mean, it's only a 10W Cube Street 2, but it's plenty loud enough for a courtyard and... well, young ears. There was a lot of milling around by a lot of folk, but not a lot of evidence anyone was listening. That was... fun. Probably. But I wasn't there for my ego's sake, I was there as background musak to show visitors the kind of musical misery they inflict on residents... I mean, to illustrate the diversity of musical engagement. :D

Last week I played at five care homes in four days. This week, two dementia groups, and today a care home and a day care centre, involving a lot of rushing about, walking over 6 miles, and a train journey. Tomorrow I'm "just" playing for two families down the road, both of whom are struggling with dementia. Darned disease is everywhere. And although it is immensely satisfying at times (especially during the many weeks when I've virtually no appearances and have time to think) it's also... well, it's not Wembley, is it, with people chanting your own song and four lines of coke & an assortment of freshly plucked groupies waiting for you in the green room. :D In fact, it's darned depressing half the time... trying to find a song (any song!) that'll get the person in the corner who's "lifeless" to tap their foot or remember some words.

But... where am I rambling off to? But at least it stops me wondering what the heck I'm playing the guitar for! Music can be its own reward, they say, but it's best when shared... otherwise it's just noodly masturbation. Not that there's anything wrong with noodling at home for your own pleasure.

Do you ever start an analogy and regret it? :D Playing to people is hard. And addictive. But whatever it is or isn't, it's a great excuse to buy bits of kit and put in practice hours. Shame I only get occasional pocket money for my singing, but even if I was paid, the amount wouldn't make it worth the hassle of tax returns... and I worry about the legality of a lot of it anyway... copyright, PRS.... performing other people's music is all a bit of a mess. There's theoretical exceptions for care homes, but it all seems very grey area and that weighs on me too. I've finally found something I'm "decent" at and enjoy, but it's not financially rewarding and it's... complicated.

Sometimes I leave feeling I've got everything wrong, not judged audiences well, upset people by being too cheery, or by not being cheery and boisterous (musically) enough and... And I can only imagine how performing in pubs and clubs must be for semi-pro bands. A delight when it goes well, a tangle of emotions when it doesn't... as it sounds like happened for you on the night things fell apart. That must leave a big hole in your life, because -- as I was only saying to some volunteer handbellers yesterday (and no, that's nothing to do with noodling at home either!) -- performing is the easy part. So much time and effort goes into getting to the point of performing, so the hobby is almost more about the preparation than the "release" of the performance.

I'm back on dodgy ground again! :rolleyes::D

So I can absolutely get how you're feeling thoroughly down at the moment. "What's the point?" is something I struggle with routinely, and I only have me and my guitar to argue with, not band members and a complicated set of interactions and performance gripes to contend with. But it seems to me, seeing how much effort you've put into music in your life, and how much pleasure it's given you, that while a lull in your enthusiasm is inevitable after this wrecking of plans and efforts, it seems unlikely music is done with you. And while I'm not going to suggest you pick up an acoustic and go pester care homes (I do half ancient standards and half 50s/60s/70s stuff), there are plenty of places out there that welcome a bit of free entertainment. So when you get folk na-na-na-ing to Hey Jude, sha-la-la-la-la-ing to Is This The Way To Amarillo, or even dancing to Has Anyone Seen My Gal, as happened for me yesterday, there's plenty of satisfaction out there to be had, and chances to use your skills, even if it's not what you've had most pleasure from so far.

Think I'd better shut up, hadn't I. You'll probably be in another band by next week, however you feel now! :D Life has a habit of filling vacuums though, so... the best of luck with whatever fills this musical void for you.

PS I liked Alex's suggestion of the YouTube channel with tips and tricks for gigging. I watch similar videos picking up ideas (and then ignoring them in the heat of the moment).

Are you sure this is a tuning and not an intonaton issue? i.e. how is your nut, how precise are your frets, etc.

Longer scale length should be more forgiving of intonation, in general.

Hehe it was intonating that needed the high accuracy. I have suspected my nut moves and I’ll look again tomorrow. It may have been the strings are now stable and things arenMt moving on the guitar.

Stuff ....

It's quite weird because the gig we were doing was brilliant, I've even had 3 people PM me saying we're the best band that have played there but when I informed them it was really bad that evening we split up they are gobsmacked :)
There are 5 of us in the band and three of us have had a constant fight with one member who forgets how to play some of the songs.
I constantly have him at my house where he plays them perfectly and then on the night completely forgets them.
On that particular night our soundcheck song was something we really wanted him to get right and he played it perfectly.
The first 12 songs of the first set were perfect and then the last four just fell apart with our soundcheck song being the final straw for three of us.
One of the 'fans' even posted one of the awful songs to Facebook saying how amazing it was, I told him to go and listen to it again and listen for a particular instrument being totally out tune with the rest of us and I would appreciate if he deleted it. he came back and then said "I didn't hear that on the night".
It's a real shame because we were really excellent but listening to the same songs with the same mistakes over and over again just got to us.

I run a very popular music site on Facebook with nearly 13,000 members and everybody knows me, I know if I put an advert on saying that I'm looking for a band I'd be snapped up, in fact 2 bands already have but I want a break from it to be honest.
Here's my site if you come from the Staffordshire area - https://www.facebook.com/groups/111164642295828/

It's quite weird because the gig we were doing was brilliant
That sounds like a far from irreconcilable situation... but tempers fray over weeks and months, not one gig, and I suppose there's underlying frustrations, probably feeling he's not pulling his practice weight. As someone who's never been able to remember lyrics accurately, and is quite capable of messing up any chord progression, any time, live, despite having music in front of me, I can sympathise with anyone who makes mistakes live, especially when coordinating with others and having a lane to stick to!

It's just as well I mainly play simplified versions of songs. I only need the "essence" of a song for singalong sessions, repeating sections folk may have some recollection of, not the full tribute act copy of an original. I'm only trying to be a kind of responsive jukebox, searching for songs which really resonate with most, or the one person in the group who seems untouched by anything. It does happen, and can be very rewarding. But it's not the kind of professional thing you do. At all. :D

They say we have to embrace change, because change is the only constant in our lives. This change for you must feel like a wrench after all the effort that went into getting where you were, as a group. But, looking at your Facebook page, it's clear you're not going to be without a musical focus for long. Lively scene down the railway line from Macc! Best of luck! <inert old man's thumbs up emoji here>

Right, I have to go practice my janky version of Lovin' Spoonful's Daydream before it's time to go pester the neighbours.

That sounds like a far from irreconcilable situation...

Drummer and guitarist are now in other bands.
They had put up with wrong notes for so long that in the drummers case it was another nail with every note.
The drummer couldn't understand how this can happen because he has only played in Brass, Jazz and Classical Orchestra's and he's even gigged at Madison Square Gardens and Carnegie Hall.
I bought the drum music in for Slayer's Reign In Blood, a song he would never want to hear but he played along with me and the guitarist and killed it.
Before the split his anger was getting worse with shouts of "WTF?" from behind the kit and the Guitarist would just have a frowned face.
We couldn't just get another bass player in because he was also the Manager getting gigs, drove the big 3,200 watt PA around with foldback etc and his daughter was the singer.
I'm now helping him to form a duo with his daughter by taking songs and using an AI Splitter I have removing vocals and bass and they sound good.
He says he wants me in the act but I've told him I'm not playing with him any more because he can't hit the right notes.

Ok, that sounds fairly irreconcilable! :D Though whether a smile's appropriate is a different matter. Guitars rarely let us down, but the people behind them... often less reliable!

Here's a better visual explanation.
The band are fully booked to the end of 2025. no problem getting gigs and we are/were very popular.
This is a throwaway song for the singer, doesn't show her voice off but she agreed to do it for the drummer and guitarist.
At 1 min 59 sec it goes horribly wrong, you see me look across and try to get the bass player to stop, we start with him still playing in the original key, the guitarist wants to die and the drummer is shouting rude words behind him, after around 8 bars he's back in the room and this is was it was like all the time.
The three songs after this were way worse and we decided to call it an end.

Last edited:
Try it now
You guys have high standards! And perhaps I have cloth ears... nobody ever accused me of being a natural or disciplined musician. :D If I didn't know there was a problem there, I'm sure I'd have been perfectly happy if I'd been in the room. Only "issue" I had was the vocals seemed a bit low in the mix, but phone recordings aren't a good guide at the best of times. Sound balance is a dark though, and my small scale efforts have shown me there is nothing simple about putting on live music.

I obviously accept though that covering for a band member playing things wrong must be very hard to deal with, no matter how good you seem (to me anyway!) to be at covering it up.

Anyway, for the benefit of the overall thread, my current project (for my own satisfaction, not pestering old folk with) is this...

Edit: The reference version for me though, is this...

Last edited:
Took my Strat's neck off for the first time ever - I figured I can sort out any issues with reassembly now :D

Seems it's a ST-67EX 9-Dec 1988:

rcjn1at.jpeg

So not going to make me rich but that's not the purpose. It answers the question about when it was manufactured which is good.

Last edited:
Here's a better visual explanation.
The band are fully booked to the end of 2025. no problem getting gigs and we are/were very popular.
This is a throwaway song for the singer, doesn't show her voice off but she agreed to do it for the drummer and guitarist.
At 1 min 59 sec it goes horribly wrong, you see me look across and try to get the bass player to stop, we start with him still playing in the original key, the guitarist wants to die and the drummer is shouting rude words behind him, after around 8 bars he's back in the room and this is was it was like all the time.
The three songs after this were way worse and we decided to call it an end.

I love the solo in that song. Tbh Steve Rotherey is very under rated. Inspired by this I watched Marillion Live at Loreley which I haven't heard for years and years.
Btw you play really well.

Anyone used a Peterson Stomp HD?

Looking into the Stomp HD and the mini:
* Mini - PSU only with no 9V battery, smaller screen/less pixels, smaller & lighter, same precision and fewer inbuilt tunings ~100
* HD - PSU or 9V battery, larger screen/more pixels, larger and heavier, same precision and more inbuilt tunings. ~150

It's really annoying that the mini doesn't do 9V battery although in future I can see a pedal board which I know from owning pedals in the past so that's not a massive issue. Screens size - well in theory more pixels = more accurate movement but I don't know..

So I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to see them in person. I'll pop down in person and have a look.

Bits have arrived to finish the cab :D I had to drive 30 mins each way to pay tax and collect so I can crack on with it without further delays.

Now I have to:
1. disassemble the cab, removing the amp and speaker - done
2. measure out the thicknesses and shave off a few mm to allow for the tolex - front done back todo tomorrow.
3. cut out the vent holes, route & cut in piping recesses - tomorrow.
4. make the baffle edges and glue in the securing blocks etc - sides done, it is now curing hence no work until tomorrow.
5. test fit and drill holes for the two handles
6. fill any gaps & sand smooth - done
7. spray the baffle black so the wood doesn't show through the front mesh
8. clean any dust off with some meths
9. Add the tnuts for the speaker
10. cut and glue in the tolex the cab sides and top
11. cut and glue in the tolex the front solid part of the baffle
12. grill cloth the open part of the baffle
13. add piping and glue it in
14 glue the tolex to the back
15. scew in feet
16. screw in the corners
17. fit the handles.
18. reassemble the cab bits.

Then I have to turn my attention to the amp:
1. rotate the pots so they fit with the new position
2. fit the new pot and resistors
3. fit the new capactors
4. fit the isolation washers to the jacks
5. drill the new holes for the new switches
6. re-position the HT fuse to fit the SS/tube switch
7. fit the bypass switches
8. fit the new 10% attenuator to the existing aux 8R speaker jack
9. fit the 1/4" plug to the speaker wires

Then I think I can call it done for now..

It's going to look very smart :D
GNEQi3I.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom