***The Official Home Recording Studio Thread***

Soldato
For the first time I've neared a complete mix and have decided to scrap it and start from scratch (everything to -inf, removal of all plugins). Previously I've hit brick walls and have just tweaked a lot.

It's frustrating, I want to be able to nail it first time every time and and it's a bit crushing when I have to do this. I guess that's what the professionals are for. :p

Caporegime
OP
For the first time I've neared a complete mix and have decided to scrap it and start from scratch (everything to -inf, removal of all plugins). Previously I've hit brick walls and have just tweaked a lot.

It's frustrating, I want to be able to nail it first time every time and and it's a bit crushing when I have to do this. I guess that's what the professionals are for. :p

All part of the process...I've been recording drums for the last few days...and have not posted the sound yet as I'm not quite satisfied :p

Caporegime
OP
It's quite a different sound from the CLA Drums mix. Quite crisp and makes my CLA mix sound muddy to me now. The CLA mix is fatter but softer, whereas this mix is brighter, more focused and more detailed. Snare has more of a crack and woody tone now and more presence.

Studio one artist works with VST3 then ? Did you buy the add On?

Last edited:
Soldato
Studio one artist works with VTS3 then ? Did you buy the add On?

I just mixed using default Studio One Artist 3 plugins. Nope I didn't buy the add on and I don't know anything about VTS3. :p To be honest, it's so difficult recording here because of available time and neighbours that my home recording projects are going to be so rare, I can happily make do with what I have now without buying anything else. Sometime in the future things may change.

Caporegime
OP
I just mixed using default Studio One Artist 3 plugins. Nope I didn't buy the add on and I don't know anything about VTS3. :p To be honest, it's so difficult recording here because of available time and neighbours that my home recording projects are going to be so rare, I can happily make do with what I have now without buying anything else. Sometime in the future things may change.

I meant VST3....Thought you used the CLA Drums plugin?

Caporegime
OP
Ah yeah, I used the CLA Drums plugin, but with Reaper. I had recorded in Studio One but then I imported the stems into Reaper so I could use the CLA.

Cool...I've been playing with studio one...a bit more and the mix tool to check phase with my drums and room mics as been great....one of my room mics was out of phase and I was losing bottom end on the drums when I blended the room mic in...

I watched this video to learn more...

I soon got the bottom end back on my toms when I inverted the phase on the room mic

@Merlin5 well worth a watch...there is an auto feature in mixbus fir a his but I learnt a lot about my room mics with this video.

Soldato
Cool...I've been playing with studio one...a bit more and the mix tool to check phase with my drums and room mics as been great....one of my room mics was out of phase and I was losing bottom end on the drums when I blended the room mic in...

I watched this video to learn more...

I soon got the bottom end back on my toms when I inverted the phase on the room mic

@Merlin5 well worth a watch...there is an auto feature in mixbus fir a his but I learnt a lot about my room mics with this video.

Thanks easyrider, I'm gonna watch that later. I didn't know how to check phase so this will help. I did however use the phase switch that's built into the CLA plugin. To be honest though, I wasn't able to tell
which way was right or wrong, both ways sounded fine to me. I made sure my overheads were equidistant from the snare and also the kick drum in a recorderman placement so I'm assuming phase would have been ok.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks easyrider, I'm gonna watch that later. I didn't know how to check phase so this will help. I did however use the phase switch that's built into the CLA plugin. To be honest though, I wasn't able to tell
which way was right or wrong, both ways sounded fine to me. I made sure my overheads were equidistant from the snare and also the kick drum in a recorderman placement so I'm assuming phase would have been ok.

The CLA is driving me to learn more tbh...yeah all my close my mics were in phase and it was the lack of low end on the tom mic and the room mic that were cancelling out...the room mic was about 10ft away on a wall...

I fixed the other pzm last night so will try stereo rooms tonight

xtQPB0r.jpg

Back
Top Bottom